Exhaust Servo

The flaps are just butterfly valves like in a throttle body or carb. Remove the 2 screws and take out the plate and your good to go.
Permanent way to do it is to remove the shaft and weld up the hole or cover it in some manner I suppose

It's probably worth coming up with something to anchor the flap in the open position, so that it remains parallel with the exhaust flow?
I do believe their default position is open... and, if engineered properly (and there are some very good designers at BMW (except for the seat guy)) the exhaust flow forces them already in open

As someone said earlier, a complete removal of the system would eliminate a possible failure in the closed position. Hmmm.... exhaust flaps seems like engineering overkill.
I think they are there for two reasons. 1) emissions, though can't confirm if this one is true or if it would have an effect honestly. 2) sound deadening, supposed to make the bikes more "civilized" at idle and low throttle. This one is a bit strange to me (unless there are some incredibly strict on sound countries in Europe) on certain bikes. Sure, on a K series or something, I'm sure the buyer isn't looking for loud pipes, but I would assume a decent amount of R18, R9T, etc buyers are more willing or expect more grunt.

I guess another theory on why they seem to be nearly universal could be because the electronics may be pretty universal across several platforms, and reengineering the flaps and such out of the system wasn't worth it to them when there are only a handful of models that it would make sense on.

Just removed original BMW module regarding exhaust flaps. Healtech x2 modules in place. Do l have to “ fix” flaps into an open position or are the flaps in an open default position already ? Have read previous answers and some say “do believe in the open position” Thanks B.

I haven’t got around to removing those exhaust flap servos yet. What stopped me is RevZilla said the ones I was ordering did not fit the R18.

Kate_brett can you post a pic of the servo buddies you bought? Or give part number?

I think Longshot did this job but I haven’t asked him the exact product he bought.

This is what you need. Item #P318455
$60 for the pair.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/servo-buddy-bmw-s1000rr-2009-2014?sku_id=1072318

Don't pay attention to what revzilla says they won't fit. They will fit. I've bought three sets now. Did my first and second r18s, and a buddy's r18.
This is a very easy mod and well worth it. The springs will keep the valves in the full open position when you remove cables and solenoid assembly. When I get time this spring I plan on completely removing the rest the valve assembly inside the headers and can post results and what I did

Last edited:
I haven’t got around to removing those exhaust flap servos yet. What stopped me is RevZilla said the ones I was ordering did not fit the R18.

Kate_brett can you post a pic of the servo buddies you bought? Or give part number?

I think Longshot did this job but I haven’t asked him the exact product he bought.
Healtech ESE-BM1 for the R18

$60 for the pair.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/servo-buddy-bmw-s1000rr-2009-2014?sku_id=1072318

Don't pay attention to what revzilla says they won't fit. They will fit. I've bought three sets now. Did my first and second r18s, and a buddy's r18.
This is a very easy mod and well worth it. The springs will keep the valves in the full open position when you remove cables and solenoid assembly. When I get time this spring I plan on completely removing the rest the valve assembly inside the headers and can post results and what I did
Thanks Longshot. I’ll do the mod!

$60 for the pair.

Thank you for that .. this is on my mind as well and seeing that there is a more 'budget' solution tat is proven is even better !

question on flapper valves:
I am planning to remove the cables between valves and servo (2 per valve)... would it be sufficient to only unhook the cables at the valvce itself? Or should I also un-hook at the servobox and remove the cables all together?

Reason for me wanting to eliminate valve operation is not the need for more sound, hate that actually, but I am suspecting these valve operations (closing at low rpm / speed (because of noise reduction) are causing actual engine overheating at low speeds or stop situations (eg traffic jam) .
The exhaust gasses are then blocked and the heads/cylinders overheat.
This was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I actually experienced such an overheat situation last summer.

Please your comments,
br
Ser
I’m with you on heat dissipation w/o maximizing noise. My Harley rumble days are over. I cut my fishtail tips off the same week I received the R18 for improved styling. The opening on the back end is three times larger which produced a fuller base instead of the hissing engine sound. With Longshots repeated support, I disconnected the flapper valves w/o disconnecting the servo valves. The expected increase in sound volume was not significant but glad that my baby is breathing better.

anyone has any before/after videos of the exhaust servos
If you are asking about the sound before and after the servos. I have the fishtail sound with servos attached and sound with fishtail cut (rear opening three times larger) and servos still connected but flapper cables disconnected and flapper always opened. Unfortunately the 5 and 7 second videos are too large (even sending it separately) to send. The before is quieter and can definitely hear the engine whine. The after has a fuller tone and hear less whine.

Back