Cost of first service

When I had my break in service done in Greer at D2Powersports, they quoted me $300, then when I got ready to checkout, he told me he misquoted me, I was the first R18 they had serviced and didn't know the final drive had to be changed also. So, they only charged me for the oil, not the labor, $315.

Did they do a software update? What software version do you currently have?
@Strawdiggity73 Did you buy your bike from D2 Powersports?? I did not and had my service done yesterday. They charged me $378 (broken down as $144 (parts) and $225 (labor)). I am curious how you were charged significantly less.

So I'm coming up quickly on my 600 mile service and decided to do some pricing.

If anyone from the NJ/NY/DE/Eastern PA can recommend a dealership or recieved better prices let me know please.

Bobs, Maxs, Manhattan and Gold Coast were intentionally left out because of the commute from my location would be too difficult.

Here are my findings so far.

Closest to me is Cross Country in Metuchen, NJ. Unfortunately its the most expensive at a labor rate at $140 an hour.
They stated that the first service will start around $450... and that did not include changing of the final drive service... The fact that they said Starts at turned me off...

Second closes was Montgomeryville Cycle in Hatfield PA. **Disclosure I'm probably going with them since I was the most comfortable with them**
Engine Oil & Filter, Final Drive service and inspection was $400 and the labor rate was $110 an hour. first come first serve, no scheduling.

Third is Quaker City in Philadelphia,PA **Disclosure I bought my K1600 from them, I do like them but the commute to them is horrible**
Engine Oil & Filter, Final Drive service and inspection was $370 and the labor rate was $99 an hour, but they are at a 4 and half week backlog and it's supposedly growing.

Then there's Hermys in Port Clinton, PA, I bought the R18 Bagger from them. But it is the furthest option for me.
Engine Oil & Filter, Final Drive service and Inspection is $348 and the labor rate was $105 an hour. You can schedule same day service which is nice, but Once I factor in fuel/time/mileage, it will probably be the cost of Montgomeryville Cycle.

Hope that helps people in my area.

@Strawdiggity73 Did you buy your bike from D2 Powersports?? I did not and had my service done yesterday. They charged me $378 (broken down as $144 (parts) and $225 (labor)). I am curious how you were charged significantly less.
I did not buy from them.
They mis-quoted me the cost of the service. I was the 1st R18 they've ever serviced since they are a new BMW dealer and didnt know changing the final drive was a part of the break-in service.
So, they honored the quote they initially quoted me and did not charge me for labor changing the final drive oil, just charged me for the oil.

I did not buy from them.
They mis-quoted me the cost of the service. I was the 1st R18 they've ever serviced since they are a new BMW dealer and didnt know changing the final drive was a part of the break-in service.
So, they honored the quote they initially quoted me and did not charge me for labor changing the final drive oil, just charged me for the oil.
Just pulled my receipt from that service. It was $111.68 parts, $180 labor, $8.95 shop fee, and $6.70 tax, total $307.33.

Shouldn't the number of hours needed and parts needed be the same across all dealership? The only variable should be labor rate.
For those who did the service, how many hours of labor were quoted? 2 hours?

Shouldn't the number of hours needed and parts needed be the same across all dealership? The only variable should be labor rate.
For those who did the service, how many hours of labor were quoted? 2 hours?
2 or 2-1/2 hrs I was told.

Last edited:
There isn't much labor intensive work for the break-in service as it's fairly quick to plug her into the Mother Ship while they do an oil change and it's only a few minutes more to do the final drive. I can see where the different locals labor rates and taxes can add a few extra dollars to the bill and the oil change kit is pretty standard pricing wherever I've been on trips and needed my bike serviced. The only big $ variable I've seen reported here previously is the silly-"stoopid" pricing on "G3" hypoid gear "by the ounce" liquid gold standard or the much more reasonable bulk pricing for the unique weight GL5 the R18 calls for which is now more readily available. I would bet given the record rates of inflation any bill more than even a few months old from the same place for the same work would see noticeable increases too.

Anyway, I think it's wise to have a dealer do the first service and certainly any tasks an owner doesn't feel up to doing, but if one rides a bunch of miles even doing only one or two oil changes a year on their own would quickly pay for a GS911 and any other needed hand tools and be $$ ahead. For me, one of the biggest appeals to the R18 platform is it is so easy to work on if one chooses to.

Cheers

I was charged for 1.5 hours at a cost of $225. I picked the TC because of my experience with my 20 years of ownership experience with my R1100S. I plan to buy the diagnostic tool (GS911) and whatever else I need to maintain my TC for the next 20 years.

Does anyone know if the dealer service sections add the maintenance actions to an enterprise network for maintenance that will feed a system (CARFAX) similar to the cars?

I was charged for 1.5 hours at a cost of $225. I picked the TC because of my experience with my 20 years of ownership experience with my R1100S. I plan to buy the diagnostic tool (GS911) and whatever else I need to maintain my TC for the next 20 years.

Does anyone know if the dealer service sections add the maintenance actions to an enterprise network for maintenance that will feed a system (CARFAX) similar to the cars?
I don't believe they feed into any external system like CARFAX. The Mothership link is very much a proprietary system, but something allowing for this would be very handy for mere mortals.

Greetings,

I too am in Daytona, and have a TC. Just spoke w/ Liz @ Euro Cycles and she's quoting me $470 to do the break-in service. When I shared with her what another owner had paid, she pulled the Elmer Fudd act. You don't have a copy of your invoice do you? I'd like share with her just the pricing amount in writing, no names or other personal information, of course. I'd like the dealer to do the break in service, and $370 is bad enough, but nearly $500?

Greetings,

I too am in Daytona, and have a TC. Just spoke w/ Liz @ Euro Cycles and she's quoting me $470 to do the break-in service. When I shared with her what another owner had paid, she pulled the Elmer Fudd act. You don't have a copy of your invoice do you? I'd like share with her just the pricing amount in writing, no names or other personal information, of course. I'd like the dealer to do the break in service, and $370 is bad enough, but nearly $500?
When you say break-in, do you mean 600ish mile service?

I just picked up my Transcontinental from it's first service yesterday. $495.34 before taxes. I'm not happy about the cost and I'm currently talking with the dealership about it. I even asked for a service cost breakdown back in February when I purchase the bike. They quoted me $375-$390 when we originally discussed it.

I have a few questions/clarifications:

1. It's my understanding that only the dealership can do the software updates, even if you have a unit like a GS-911.
  2. The GS-911 can be used to reset service codes. So as long as I don't need an update to the software, this will cover everything else?
  3. Can I reset service codes using the GS-911 with a Mac? Any Apple users that are doing this successfully?

I have a few questions/clarifications:

1. It's my understanding that only the dealership can do the software updates, even if you have a unit like a GS-911.
  2. The GS-911 can be used to reset service codes. So as long as I don't need an update to the software, this will cover everything else?
  3. Can I reset service codes using the GS-911 with a Mac? Any Apple users that are doing this successfully?
1) Software is only thru dealer systems.
2) Yes, you can reset codes with a GS-911 and monitor any fault codes thrown. The GS-911 also allows you to monitor real time values
3) You can reset with a Mac or an iOS device. This happens via the WiFi option. I do this with my phone across my fleet regularly.

I just picked up my Transcontinental from it's first service yesterday. $495.34 before taxes. I'm not happy about the cost and I'm currently talking with the dealership about it. I even asked for a service cost breakdown back in February when I purchase the bike. They quoted me $375-$390 when we originally discussed it.
My dealership's service department will typically give an estimate when you bring the bike in & before they start the work. Most maintenance items like the first service have a book value of expected time specific to that model. Costs are typically the time at the shop rate plus any parts & general shop materials. It's pretty rare for maintenance costs to vary from their estimate as they are straightforward. Maybe if you have some aftermarket add ons that can extend time. Repair estimates can have more variability as they may not know which parts were needed till they had it apart.

When you got the estimate when you bought the bike, was that from the service department or the salesperson? Different models do have different maintenance needs and relevant estimates, so it's possible if it was from the salesperson, they were more generalizing overall first service rather than your specific model. For example, the R18 specs changing final drive fluid on the first service, but other bikes don’t.

As an example, bikes with more coverings will have longer time for maintenance. My S1000R has to have several body panels removed to get access to plugs, valves & so the time to do regular work is more than on my boxer bikes. My GSA with the various crash bars & skid plates is longer to do an oil change than my R18 or R75. Valves are easier to access on my R75 than on the R18. A TC with the hard bags will make the final drive change more time intensive than the Base R18 or even a Classic with the soft bags.

Last edited:
Back