Cost of first service

1) Software is only thru dealer systems.
2) Yes, you can reset codes with a GS-911 and monitor any fault codes thrown. The GS-911 also allows you to monitor real time values
3) You can reset with a Mac or an iOS device. This happens via the WiFi option. I do this with my phone across my fleet regularly.
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your help.

Finally had it done and it ended up being 280 with taxes. Highly recommend Adventure BMW in a Chesapeake, VA.

I’ll probably do the 6k myself, but just depends on if I have time or not.
That is a good price. Report back if that holds true. I’ll ride the 200 miles to get service there.

My local dealership did the first service for about $200. I don't recall the precise bill, but I thought that it was reasonable. They did not replace the final drive lube because BMW has reportedly changed the lube to some new product that the shop had not yet obtained, so the bill was less than what it would typically be. They did get it done in good time, as I just took a walk down the road and had lunch.
The lube is something like $65 a pint.

I have been following this thread and I am truly amazed how widely the range of charges are ... considering we are really comparing apples to apples ... just wow!

I remember I was quoted gbp 250 + oil + taxes with 1 month waiting time at official dealership. I found online a very nice bmw licensed garage nearby that did the job for 200, including cost of oil and taxes, 3 business days after booking

Just had 600 mile service done at Cross Country Cycle - Metuchen, NJ where the dealership owns the monopoly of 2/2 BMW Motorrad franchises in the state.

$430+ tax for initial service (covered as part of my purchase negotiations, so paid $0).

I asked how much for 6k and was quoted $789 plus tax!!! WTF?

Just had 600 mile service done at Cross Country Cycle - Metuchen, NJ where the dealership owns the monopoly of 2/2 BMW Motorrad franchises in the state.

$430+ tax for initial service (covered as part of my purchase negotiations, so paid $0).

I asked how much for 6k and was quoted $789 plus tax!!! WTF?
I think they're going to be getting their money back for the "free" 1st service. Every service is basically a 6K service on the R-18 except the intervals that add a brake fluid flush and/or transmission fluid. I could see a little extra time from the first service to a regular 6K for them to check valve clearances, but ease of access and designed with the quickest adjustment (if needed), outside of hydraulic lifters with it's locknut and screw set up involves very little labor. Some shops try to pad the bill by changing silly expensive gaskets that are beyond stout and last "for ever" as well as automatically swap the air filter and plugs regardless "needing them". For that kind of extra $ I would look at using the money for a nice road trip to another regional dealership that others here may be able to recommend with better pricing/value. Doing at least some of the servicing on your own is something to consider as it is fun and incredibly easy to do almost every task on the R platform.

Good luck!

Agreed. I have always done my own service on my cars/bikes, but figured since this is a new bike and under warranty, might be wise to let them do it. Beginning to think I'll take my warranty chances and do all future service myself :)

Agreed. I have always done my own service on my cars/bikes, but figured since this is a new bike and under warranty, might be wise to let them do it. Beginning to think I'll take my warranty chances and do all future service myself :)
I do my first service at the shop to keep the warranty hassles at a minimum and as long as you document (i also snap a few photos) and keep receipts showing proper spec fluids and filters were used, etc., there isn't any issue. I use a dealer now and again as they can plug the bike in to the Mothership to make sure electronics or recalls, etc., are all up to snuff and when I do use them I'm happy to say I never felt like I was being gouged for the work they provided. (Eurosport Asheville, c'mon down!!).

Last edited:
I think the only advantage of having it dealer serviced is that a dealer can update the software.

This may matter more for the B and Transcontinental, as the radio software is finicky.

I’ve got a 6k service coming in August and am bracing myself already.

Gateway BMW in St Louis will be doing my first (and likely only) service, for $427 after taxes. I've attached the quote they provided for any to compare it to.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230617-164706.png
    Screenshot_20230617-164706.png
    270 KB · Views: 28
Gateway BMW in St Louis will be doing my first (and likely only) service, for $427 after taxes. I've attached the quote they provided for any to compare it to.
Not for nuthin but I think the bike takes 4qts of oil.
I would double check.

Edit....My bad....4 LITERS

Last edited:
I'm going to stick with the BMW products, probably up until the warranty runs out; however, the purchase of the engine and transmission oil was close to $500 (which included crush washers, air and oil filter and a oil filter wrench)

Back