BMW R20 Concept

Yeah, the R18 is what brought me to BMW.

Anyway, no one cares about anecdotal evidence - resale value and how slow these move of sales floors shows that it's not an instant hit. But I would say - maybe they need to give it a little time for people to "see" the R18 in the wild and/or in marketing? People generally don't even know to look at BMW for a cruiser...

But this R20? That is getting to be a lot of mass in those pistons to sling back and forth. At some point I would think reliability definitely has to take a hit.

What is the top RPM you think for two 1000cc cylinders?
Rolls Royce Merlin V12 at 27 litres is rated at 2850rpm at 12 psi boost, & 3000rpm at 10psi boost for 5 minutes max, each
cylinder being 2.25 litres.

Both the H-D M8 and BMW R18 motors feature four valves per cylinder. The number of cams is mainly irrelevant - both are pushrod, not OHC. The H-D has hydraulic lifters, implying no periodic valve adjustment requirement.

Last edited:
Yeah, the R18 is what brought me to BMW.

Anyway, no one cares about anecdotal evidence - resale value and how slow these move of sales floors shows that it's not an instant hit. But I would say - maybe they need to give it a little time for people to "see" the R18 in the wild and/or in marketing? People generally don't even know to look at BMW for a cruiser...

But this R20? That is getting to be a lot of mass in those pistons to sling back and forth. At some point I would think reliability definitely has to take a hit.

What is the top RPM you think for two 1000cc cylinders?
+1. I do think we forget or maybe don’t realise sometimes people still have never seen one (in the flesh), even after 4 years. When I take mine out, or stop to fill up it’s not unusual for someone to wander over and have a brief conversation about it, be that a motorcyclist or car driver. In fact just thinking about it I’ve only ever seen one Classic myself so from my perspective yes they are a rare sight indeed.

The H-D 135 CI Crate Engine is a bit larger, in fact - circa 2212 cc, meaning 1106 cc per cylinder. Whoever installs them rides them hard. And with no reliability issues. I got the Chrome version to install on my Electra Glide. [/URL]

View attachment 14638 View attachment 14642
Bump it up to about a 160 crate engine and about another $20,000 and you can almost be equal to Triumph's Rocket3.

Both the H-D M8 and BMW R18 motors feature four valves per cylinder. The number of cams is mainly irrelevant - both are pushrod, not OHC. The H-D has hydraulic lifters, implying no periodic valve adjustment requirement.
I am aware of the hydro lifters in Harleys and I do know how many valves our R18 engines have ... I was just wondering if this is just a punched out 'Milwaukee 8' engine ... then it would be an 'EVO' engine with an internal oil pump ... and maybe a counter balance .. not another 'twin-cam'.
I am not going to buy one anyway ... I am through with Harley ... just curious about the internals.

Reactions: 425
I am aware of the hydro lifters in Harleys and I do know how many valves our R18 engines have ... I was just wondering if this is just a punched out 'Milwaukee 8' engine ... then it would be an 'EVO' engine with an internal oil pump ... and maybe a counter balance .. not another 'twin-cam'.
I am not going to buy one anyway ... I am through with Harley ... just curious about the internals.
The H-D 135 CI Crate Engine is a bit larger, in fact - circa 2212 cc, meaning 1106 cc per cylinder. Whoever installs them rides them hard. And with no reliability issues. I got the Chrome version to install on my Electra Glide.
View attachment 14638 View attachment 14642
There is a lot to read about the internals. I added a link to my first reply to get you started :)

Since I bought the R18, I have purchased two more Harleys. It was my first BMW (motorcycle) but also my last one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 425
Bump it up to about a 160 crate engine and about another $20,000 and you can almost be equal to Triumph's Rocket3.
H-D does not do a 160 ci crate engine.

Besides, I think that 135 ci is probably as far as I'd like to go with an air-oil-cooled V-twin. I appreciate that the Moonshine 143 is very popular, but the Motor Company's 135 has already amassed a stellar reputation in performance and reliability.

I own a Rocket 3 R. 150 ci = 2458 cc. It is a totally different motorcycle. TTS in the UK sells a Rotrex blower for it.

I am getting one of theirs for my Gen 3 Hayabusa.

DSC02833.JPG

Last edited:
My plan when we move back to New Hampshire was to buy a used first edition base model. I miss the R18 motor and just want an around town cruiser but I think this is going to be the one I get. Not going to buy it new or at least not buy it the first year. They're going to want way too much for it but I'm seeing a 50% discount if I can just have a little patience. I want a big beefy torque monster and this is perfect.

Back