Back Wheel Removal Angst

R18 100

In order to change the rear wheel, we have to remove both exhausts first. Reason being the exhaust pipe blocks pulling out the loooong axle bolt.

Even though I like the look of the exhaust that came on the anniversary R18, It occurred to me that a narrower or shorter pipe would be quite practical actually.

Does any one know of a 3rd party exhaust that would be either shorter or narrower?

I successfully changed the back wheel but the pull and wiggle, wiggle and pull on the exhaust tube was exhausting (no pun intended).

If I ever get a flat on that back tire, I will wish I had pursued a 3rd party exhaust.

In order to change the rear wheel, we have to remove both exhausts first. Reason being the exhaust pipe blocks pulling out the loooong axle bolt.

Even though I like the look of the exhaust that came on the anniversary R18, It occurred to me that a narrower or shorter pipe would be quite practical actually.

Does any one know of a 3rd party exhaust that would be either shorter or narrower?

I successfully changed the back wheel but the pull and wiggle, wiggle and pull on the exhaust tube was exhausting (no pun intended).

If I ever get a flat on that back tire, I will wish I had pursued a 3rd party exhaust.
I have 2021 Classic (tubed and spoked wheel). I echo this and I have been exploring going tubeless from this very experience. Once you have flat tyre, it is almost impossible to move this heavy bike. When I had a flat tyre due to a nail, 2 tyre shops and a bike mechanic refused to take this job. They said it is a lot of work to remove the exhausts and they don't have tools for it. I then had to go to BMW motorrad and even they did not have a spare tube. Even they took over 4 hours to fix my tyre.

There are quite a few aftermarket slip-ons, once installed, will expose axle bolt. Pro-race slip-ons is one of them. Aliexpress has a knock off of the same. There are videos online of the sound if you want to know what they sound like. Removing fishtails also sheds about 20kgs off of R18 ;)

I still like the fishtail and not a fan of loud exhausts. So still exploring alloy wheels and tubeless option. BMW ones are pretty expensive and alternatives are equally expensive(found a custom shop in UK, but shipping to Australia makes it even more expensive).

Last edited:
I little silicone sprayed on the bushings goes a long way in loosening the mufflers.
Yes Dave, absolutely +1 on that ... I bought a bottle of this stuff ... I don't really care for aerosol sprays ... too uncontrolled IMO ... this stuff is thick and has a nice tube to get it where i need it. I also use it for the switches (the actuators not the contacts) and for the throttle twist grip.
Screen Shot 2024-06-07 at 10.58.35 AM.png
It wasn't really made for bikes .. but it works for me ;)

Scott I posted below last Monday under General Discussion. Each fishtail can now be removed in less than <3-4 minutes...loosen the circlip and pull the fishtail off easy!

"Suggest it is a good idea for whatever future reason you may need to remove the fishtails. Especially on the right side on my bike. The rubber grommets on mine had dried somewhat and I had a devil of a time once the circlip was loosened; trying to pull the 2 fishtail male thingamajiggies out of their respective rubber grommet brackets! I finally squirted some PB Blaster, let it soak into the grommets for a couple of hours. Then clean and lube and reassemble. Tighten circlip to 18 ft.lbs. Might save some time and frustration in the future if a need occurred."

If you just want to replace the mufflers.....not a problem. I just wanted to keep the bike original.

I don't get what the big deal is about pulling the mufflers off. It takes a 13mm - or something just as common - deep well socket to release the clamp and a a couple torx screws for the covers.

The calipers use the inverted torx/12 point bolt thingies. I figured those would be the issue more than anything else but I don't understand why any shop would skip such common/modern tools.

I can swap my drilled out classic mufflers for my set of shorties and back again in minutes. Just lube the damn exhaust hangers.

Scott I posted below last Monday under General Discussion. Each fishtail can now be removed in less than <3-4 minutes...loosen the circlip and pull the fishtail off easy!

"Suggest it is a good idea for whatever future reason you may need to remove the fishtails. Especially on the right side on my bike. The rubber grommets on mine had dried somewhat and I had a devil of a time once the circlip was loosened; trying to pull the 2 fishtail male thingamajiggies out of their respective rubber grommet brackets! I finally squirted some PB Blaster, let it soak into the grommets for a couple of hours. Then clean and lube and reassemble. Tighten circlip to 18 ft.lbs. Might save some time and frustration in the future if a need occurred."

If you just want to replace the mufflers.....not a problem. I just wanted to keep the bike original.
I wanted to give removing the exhaust a go. Not too hard to be honest. Once you remove the bracket, a little knock with a rubber mallet & firm pull got it out! This was an opportunity to clean and polish the insides. It did have a lot of asphalt & road grime. So here are the two fishes out their natural habitat :p

Exhausts.jpg

The exhaust/muffler supports are another thing. I couldn't remove the two screws! Too tight, or too much factory locktite :confused: they wouldn't budge & was afraid I would end up rounding themSupports.jpg..

Back