Another Navigation Question

BMW Motorrad does not release firmware updates or firmware enhancements.

One thing I noticed after the update (I don't use the Motorrad Connected app) is that the Bluetooth connection to the smartphone is a bit faster.

I want carplay!!

BMW Motorrad does not release firmware updates or firmware enhancements.

One thing I noticed after the update (I don't use the Motorrad Connected app) is that the Bluetooth connection to the smartphone is a bit faster.

I want carplay!!
We all want something better than the current Navigation setup... 😵‍💫

Pulling my hair out here, or what is left of it. I cannot get my iPhone to consistently recognize and then link to the wifi which the bike puts out to facilitate the map, etc. to the screen. It is always hit or miss, mostly miss, very frustrating.

Here is what I have been doing..
1 - turn on the bike power and mount the phone
2 - make sure that the phone is connected to the bike via bluetooth
3 - In phone wifi, look for the bike's wifi, which I never find
4 - Kick off the connection app on the iphone which will sometimes say it is starting map mode
5 - hope for the best, sometimes I will get a message asking to join the bike's wifi, once that connection is made, I am good until I shut off the bike (then it is back to square 1)

Are there configuration settings someplace that I am missing? On the bike or on the iPhone (iPhone 13)

Any suggestions/information will be greatly appreciated.

Joel
Hi Joel

I put this up a few weeks ago, I hope it helps.

Hi Joel

I put this up a few weeks ago, I hope it helps.
Hi David, First, thank you for sharing! I suspect that my problem is that I do not have the latest software installed on the bike. I have the other settings as you have mentioned. Even with the correct iPhone settings it is hit or miss. Right now, my major symptom is that the phone appears to be not seeing the BMW Wi-Fi; it is either that or the bike is not sending out the Wi-Fi signal... Next stop will be to get the software upgraded. What you have described as your current state is how it should work!! Thanks again, Joel

Hi David, First, thank you for sharing! I suspect that my problem is that I do not have the latest software installed on the bike. I have the other settings as you have mentioned. Even with the correct iPhone settings it is hit or miss. Right now, my major symptom is that the phone appears to be not seeing the BMW Wi-Fi; it is either that or the bike is not sending out the Wi-Fi signal... Next stop will be to get the software upgraded. What you have described as your current state is how it should work!! Thanks again, Joel
No worries Joel.
Just an added thought, my dealer told me that BMW have instructed them not to do updates unless there is a problem, if you just ask for the latest update they might charge you, but if you tell them you can’t connect to wifi as a fault they will do the update under warranty. Not sure if this is true in every country but in Australia that is the case.

No worries Joel.
Just an added thought, my dealer told me that BMW have instructed them not to do updates unless there is a problem, if you just ask for the latest update they might charge you, but if you tell them you can’t connect to wifi as a fault they will do the update under warranty. Not sure if this is true in every country but in Australia that is the case.
Hi David, Trust me, I just requested an appointment and stated that the cause was the Navigation not working due to backdated software. I bought this bike used with only 1800 miles on it so my guess is that there is no warranty (?). Regardless, I can still push them on it. Given how frustrating it is now to get the blasted thing to work at all, much less consistently, it is probably worth the money (but don't tell them that!). I've been looking at some YouTube videos on the Connected App and actually looks to be pretty good. Be well and ride safe! Joel

I typically start my music first (Prime or YouTube), then I start the BMW Connect app and allow them both to run in the background (Android setup); store my phone in the compartment, then I power ON the bike and then start it.

Everything comes together...
Hi Scott... I'm an android guy too. Samsung galaxy. I find using the nav function tends to drain the phone and no way phone fits in hatch designed for it if plugged in to power. what am i missing?

Hi Scott... I'm an android guy too. Samsung galaxy. I find using the nav function tends to drain the phone and no way phone fits in hatch designed for it if plugged in to power. what am i missing?
I recently switched to a Pixel 7 phone, which dimension wise just fits into the compartment space; which requires manipulating the USB connection in order to get it into the space, so that it continues to charge the phone while in use.

I recently converted my compartment to a wireless phone charger, which eliminates the need to use the USB power connection. The Wi-Fi air interface is a bit of a power hog, vs the use of the 4G LTE air-interface; so maintaining a power source when utilizing the Navigation system is paramount.

Not sure if the above explanation helps..?

I also have discovered that o my Iphone 13 Max I have to put face down for all to work.. Face up and the sound turns all the way down when you close the cover.

Back