Adaptive headlight issue?

I remember looking at the wiring and the plug to the headlight when I was adding the Auxiliary Lights to my Model B; it's a pretty complex connector and wiring harness.

So three weeks in I emailed BMW customer support about the issue and was told to contact the service manager at my dealer. So today I called the dealer since it has now been 31 days since I made the warranty claim. The service manager said that he could repair the bike once BMW supplied the headlight and that I should call BMW’s customer service. I called BMW and was told they could not provide an eta for the headlight. Obviously I was very frustrated and contacted an attorney. The attorney told me that I should take the bike back to the dealer because he felt since it was in my garage (not being ridden) that it was compromising a future claim potentially. Once the bike was back I was told to send a certified letter to BMW requesting a repair. So later this afternoon I called the dealer and told them I needed to bring the bike in and leave it per the attorney’s instruction. To my surprise I was informed that a headlight had arrived and they scheduled an appointment. Just my experience so far. To be completely fair the service manager did tell me that there was a shipment of parts that had come in during our first conversation so perhaps this is a coincidence. Either way I am not happy so far and don’t see me keeping this bike outside of warranty with a 3000$ headlight repair looming.

Finally got my headlight looked at by the dealer yesterday (check light error on instrument... leds out on day light running horizontal bar).... needs replacing.... they ordered one ..... warranty job as bike is one year into it's three.

I don't think my headlight issue is of the same camp as the others reported here, it seems to be a more isolated thing with the "non moving" type.... same light type as on my 21 r nine t, and I am not aware of issues with them from r njne t forums.

Last edited:
Finally got my headlight looked at by the dealer yesterday (check light error on instrument... leds out on day light running horizontal bar).... needs replacing.... they ordered one ..... warranty job as bike is one year into it's three.

I don't think my headlight issue is of the same camp as the others reported here, it seems to be a more isolated thing with the "non moving" type.... same light type as on my 21 r nine t, and I am not aware of issues with them from r njne t forums.
Ohhh that is good to know that the FE and 'Classic' use the same light as the R9 ... I have a friend that has one of them .. now you make me have a look when he is back :LOL: ... but in all seriousness .. good info! Thanks.

Will you be filing a complaint with NHTSA ? Seems to be an isolated R 18 problem now if not happening on the R Nine T

Just an FYI ... about the 'same headlight as the R9' ... the parts fiche still shows a halogen for the R9 series ... but I looked at pictures and it seems only the very latest models have a similar light (still not sure if it is actually the same) as the FE or 'Classic'

Just an FYI ... about the 'same headlight as the R9' ... the parts fiche still shows a halogen for the R9 series ... but I looked at pictures and it seems only the very latest models have a similar light (still not sure if it is actually the same) as the FE or 'Classic'
Yeah... 21 on euro 5's..... probally only likely to be a useful thing years from now if getting a light off a wrecked bike....

Got the headlight replaced under warranty. Took about a month. Haven't had a chance to ride at night, but I assume its working properly... However, when I asked the dealer in Raleigh if the headlight now had extended warranty coverage they could not provide me with a straight answer. BMW customer service was even less help. I love the bike, but the level of service leaves a lot to be desired. Glad I purchased an extended service agreement.... Still concerned about what happens if the headlight fails again in a couple of years...

Got the headlight replaced under warranty. Took about a month. Haven't had a chance to ride at night, but I assume its working properly... However, when I asked the dealer in Raleigh if the headlight now had extended warranty coverage they could not provide me with a straight answer. BMW customer service was even less help. I love the bike, but the level of service leaves a lot to be desired. Glad I purchased an extended service agreement.... Still concerned about what happens if the headlight fails again in a couple of years...
Not sure in the US but in the UK all genuine parts and labour comes with 2 years warranty, providing that the work was done by an authorised dealer, even if the vehicle is out of warranty by the time the part was fitted.

Back