Adaptive Headlight Recall Update

I would not mind just having a standard Headlight mine is flickering and the dealer said its fine
Have the dealership order you a new light under warranty, or at least have them start the warranty replacement; because delivery, will take a long time as units are coming from Germany.

Contacted the dealer 2 weeks ago as I am waiting for my new R18B to be released to me. I said I would like it delivered before my DGR (Distinguished Gentleman's Ride) in May. They said they cannot commit as there is no fix yet.... Ugh... Come on BMW... get this fix in asap... losing time riding... :)

Contacted the dealer 2 weeks ago as I am waiting for my new R18B to be released to me. I said I would like it delivered before my DGR (Distinguished Gentleman's Ride) in May. They said they cannot commit as there is no fix yet.... Ugh... Come on BMW... get this fix in asap... losing time riding... :)
Lemme tell ya, I'd be livid, especially as we're getting these early bonus days. 70 degrees where I'm at today and yesterday. I wonder if there's any value to exploring the dealer popping in a standard light and coming back in once the fix is released.

I was hopeful earlier on that they'd have something to replace the units with in late March/early April, but I'm feeling like that's wishful thinking. If they have to design, build, and test a whole new unit, it could be who knows how long. BMW can't move a single B or TC right now. Looks terrible. They've gotta respond.

Last edited:
I received the Headlight recall for my 2022 TC, I do have hopes it's resolved soon.

I will be riding up to Americade in Lake George New York and Laconia Bike Week in NH in May/June.

It sure would be nice to get more R18's up there this year, new headlights will help pick it up!

Lemme tell ya, I'd be livid, especially as we're getting these early bonus days. 70 degrees where I'm at today and yesterday. I wonder if there's any value to exploring the dealer popping in a standard light and coming back in once the fix is released.

I was hopeful earlier on that they'd have something to replace the units with in late March/early April, but I'm feeling like that's wishful thinking. If they have to design, build, and test a whole new unit, it could who knows how long. BMW can't move a single B or TC right now. Looks terrible. They've gotta respond.
I received the Headlight recall for my 2022 TC, I do have hopes it's resolved soon.

I will be riding up to Americade in Lake George New York and Laconia Bike Week in NH in May/June.

It sure would be nice to get more R18's up there this year, new headlights will help pick it up!

Had a bit of a scare this morning. Took my bike in for the 600 mile service, was told that due to the recall on my bike I would have to get it towed/trailered off their property. I decided to not drop it off for the servicing if that was the case. They made a few calls and found that it would not be the same in my issue since my headlight is not broken, like the other R18 they currently have in their shop. I have a second bike, so not that bad of an issue to be missing out on riding time, but I really feel for those that are in limbo waiting for their bikes.

Had a bit of a scare this morning. Took my bike in for the 600 mile service, was told that due to the recall on my bike I would have to get it towed/trailered off their property. I decided to not drop it off for the servicing if that was the case. They made a few calls and found that it would not be the same in my issue since my headlight is not broken, like the other R18 they currently have in their shop. I have a second bike, so not that bad of an issue to be missing out on riding time, but I really feel for those that are in limbo waiting for their bikes.
The headlight functions it’s just part of the recall. So happen’s I bought the bike but can’t take possession until this issue is resolved. Some how it has to be done soon!!!

The recall is live on the site under your VIN. https://nhtsa.bmwgroup.com/safetyrecall/pages/motorradRecallSearch.xhtml

Recall Campaign No. 23V-884​

Last updated:January 08, 2024

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

One or more of the attachment points between the low beam headlamp¿s upper and/or lower reflector and the headlamp housing could become damaged and break.

SAFETY RISK

If all attachment points broke, then the affected reflector could move within the housing which could affect illumination of the roadway. This could increase the risk of a crash.

DESCRIPTION OF REPAIR

The remedy has not yet been developed.

For additional information or assistance, please contact Customer Relations and Service at 1-800-525-7417 or via Email at [email protected]

Full details are not yet available. Please check back later.

So, no fix yet. I assume this means that buyers of new affected bikes can't take delivery until the remedy is in place. Current owners just have to sit and wait. Would be great if they're rolling out a solution before April!
My warranty ends in May, would it still be covered.

My warranty ends in May, would it still be covered.
Notify your service shop to start the warranty claim or recall work in ordering you a new headlight; take pictures of your headlight damage, where it is showing wear of the reflective coating from lose or dislodged reflectors.

Based on what I read earlier of the Service Shops holding bikes from their final sale/possession and or having to be trailered off the property for legal reasons; iterate that they start the claim remotely, since "you're not comfortable riding the bike with a broken headlight" for safety reasons... My point is; provide them with detailed pictures, rather than taking it in for service.

Last edited:

where are you from I am considering Americade 22 R18B

I was hopeful earlier on that they'd have something to replace the units with in late March/early April, but I'm feeling like that's wishful thinking. If they have to design, build, and test a whole new unit, it could be who knows how long. BMW can't move a single B or TC right now. Looks terrible. They've gotta respond.
In my opinion BMW is not managing expectations for this issue. I do not think its a huge ask to keep us more informed on the progress. i.e. we have a plan and this it what it looks like along with a timeline. this would at least allow us all to adjust accordingly. Also I would be ok if BMW provided an option for us to decide if we want an older version of the light or not. As I said I like the product however I am disappointed on the lack of clarity/ transparency.

COOL! Where are you located? I am curious if your close to my dealer in IL. If so then I would feel better we are getting close for resolution :)

In my opinion BMW is not managing expectations for this issue. I do not think its a huge ask to keep us more informed on the progress. i.e. we have a plan and this it what it looks like along with a timeline. this would at least allow us all to adjust accordingly. Also I would be ok if BMW provided an option for us to decide if we want an older version of the light or not. As I said I like the product however I am disappointed on the lack of clarity/ transparency.
Totally agreed now is the season to ride and don't want to be stranded in the dark very dissatisfied with how they are handing this situation . With all the tech we have today there shouldn't be a reason why they can't resolve this issue also if they replace with the same style what makes me think this would not happen again seems like an expensive problem .

Back