Adaptive Headlight Recall Update

BigJimSlim

Site Supporter
The recall is live on the site under your VIN. https://nhtsa.bmwgroup.com/safetyrecall/pages/motorradRecallSearch.xhtml

Recall Campaign No. 23V-884​

Last updated:January 08, 2024

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

One or more of the attachment points between the low beam headlamp¿s upper and/or lower reflector and the headlamp housing could become damaged and break.

SAFETY RISK

If all attachment points broke, then the affected reflector could move within the housing which could affect illumination of the roadway. This could increase the risk of a crash.

DESCRIPTION OF REPAIR

The remedy has not yet been developed.

For additional information or assistance, please contact Customer Relations and Service at 1-800-525-7417 or via Email at [email protected]

Full details are not yet available. Please check back later.

So, no fix yet. I assume this means that buyers of new affected bikes can't take delivery until the remedy is in place. Current owners just have to sit and wait. Would be great if they're rolling out a solution before April!

The recall is live on the site under your VIN. https://nhtsa.bmwgroup.com/safetyrecall/pages/motorradRecallSearch.xhtml

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

One or more of the attachment points between the low beam headlamp¿s upper and/or lower reflector and the headlamp housing could become damaged and break.

SAFETY RISK

If all attachment points broke, then the affected reflector could move within the housing which could affect illumination of the roadway. This could increase the risk of a crash.

DESCRIPTION OF REPAIR

For additional information or assistance, please contact Customer Relations and Service at 1-800-525-7417 or via Email at [email protected]

So, no fix yet. I assume this means that buyers of new affected bikes can't take delivery until the remedy is in place. Current owners just have to sit and wait. Would be great if they're rolling out a solution before April!
Thanks for posting! Will be interesting to see how they handle those of us who have already had a replacement installed.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

SAFETY RISK

DESCRIPTION OF REPAIR

Thanks for sharing reaching out to the dealer today

Great... So the dealership can lose and or just not install all of the clips and screws required to re-assemble the front fairing..... The last warranty headlight repair, cost me $32 in missing hardware.. Lucky I purchased extra when I installed the lower Leg Wind Protection pieces on my bike.

Great... So the dealership can lose and or just not install all of the clips and screws required to re-assemble the front fairing..... The last warranty headlight repair, cost me $32 in missing hardware.. Lucky I purchased extra when I installed the lower Leg Wind Protection pieces on my bike.
I'd almost rather the option to install the new unit on my own, if that ends up being the remedy

Reading the posts on this forum has me feeling very fortunate. BMW Motorcycles of Portland - Cascade Moto has done a fine job taking care of my bikes thus far. No complaints on workmanship. Friendly staff and an excellent overall experience.

Reading the posts on this forum has me feeling very fortunate. BMW Motorcycles of Portland - Cascade Moto has done a fine job taking care of my bikes thus far. No complaints on workmanship. Friendly staff and an excellent overall experience.
My shop is small and seems to be on the up and up. But I haven’t had to do anything there outside of first service on this bike. Fingers crossed they’re careful and knowledgeable and the bike comes back fixed and unscathed.

Thank you for posting BigJimSlim.
The fact that it has been acknowledged is a massive triumph.
I went to the dealership on Saturday as I wanted to try on the Pure Boxer jacket and I mentioned this to the sales rep who sold me the bike. He said he was not aware of the headlight issue and to be honest I believed him. There is no reason for him to lie to me. I checked on the recall website for BMW motorcycles and the R18 is not there. I also checked on the DVLA website (the UK national driving agency) and there is nothing there either so I guess we just need to wait and see at this end.

Thank you for posting BigJimSlim.
The fact that it has been acknowledged is a massive triumph.
I went to the dealership on Saturday as I wanted to try on the Pure Boxer jacket and I mentioned this to the sales rep who sold me the bike. He said he was not aware of the headlight issue and to be honest I believed him. There is no reason for him to lie to me. I checked on the recall website for BMW motorcycles and the R18 is not there. I also checked on the DVLA website (the UK national driving agency) and there is nothing there either so I guess we just need to wait and see at this end.
From what I can gather for now, this is a US recall only. Guys here on the site pushed hard enough with our highway safety agency to get a recall issued.

For that jacket - it’s a lovely piece of leather. I had to size up, which was surprising as I take a small in any other brand jacket. Had my zipper completely fail on the third or fourth wear. Thing just split open while I was riding and wouldn’t zip up again no matter what I did. Took it to the shop and they ordered me a new one. This zipper on the new jacket seems fine so far. The zipper pulls tho, they’re super flimsy leather tabs that pull off with next to no force. Bit frustrating for a jacket of this cost and brand. Bought a nylon string pull tab and it’ll be fine from here - I hope.

From what I can gather for now, this is a US recall only. Guys here on the site pushed hard enough with our highway safety agency to get a recall issued.

For that jacket - it’s a lovely piece of leather. I had to size up, which was surprising as I take a small in any other brand jacket. Had my zipper completely fail on the third or fourth wear. Thing just split open while I was riding and wouldn’t zip up again no matter what I did. Took it to the shop and they ordered me a new one. This zipper on the new jacket seems fine so far. The zipper pulls tho, they’re super flimsy leather tabs that pull off with next to no force. Bit frustrating for a jacket of this cost and brand. Bought a nylon string pull tab and it’ll be fine from here - I hope.
I know. I have been following this issue because I am obviously concerned about it, although I don’t recall any of the UK members mentioning failures etc. I heard of a member in the Middle East who had the same issue. Like I said, when I asked the sales representative if he has received any complaints about the adaptive headlight, he was not even aware of such things and the look in his face was like if I had smoked something weird.
Thank you for the advice on the jacket. They did not have one in store. They have a similar one but it is not what I wanted and for the price I need to ensure I get what I really want. He said he needed to wait until Tuesday to check with the merch guys on the shop and see if there is an order in place.

I know. I have been following this issue because I am obviously concerned about it, although I don’t recall any of the UK members mentioning failures etc. I heard of a member in the Middle East who had the same issue. Like I said, when I asked the sales representative if he has received any complaints about the adaptive headlight, he was not even aware of such things and the look in his face was like if I had smoked something weird.
Thank you for the advice on the jacket. They did not have one in store. They have a similar one but it is not what I wanted and for the price I need to ensure I get what I really want. He said he needed to wait until Tuesday to check with the merch guys on the shop and see if there is an order in place.
I got my jacket 25% off during a sale. Kinda mad I didn’t wait a bit longer as BMW ended up having a sale where you got $500 off purchase of $1000 or more.

I wouldn’t pay full retail for it. If you like it, might be worth a wait to see if you get save a couple quid (that’s what they call em there, yeah?)

I got my jacket 25% off during a sale. Kinda mad I didn’t wait a bit longer as BMW ended up having a sale where you got $500 off purchase of $1000 or more.

I wouldn’t pay full retail for it. If you like it, might be worth a wait to see if you get save a couple quid (that’s what they call em there, yeah?)
LOL. Yes we do!!!
To be honest, I have been watching the jacket since last spring and so far the price has been the same in the UK. I saw one in mainland Europe but the postage and the VAT later on does not make it an attractive option. Will see what the sales reps tells me from tomorrow.
Cheers

I'd consider a Goldtop jacket from right there in the UK. BMW must be using super cheap zippers on their jackests. I ordered the BMW twin stripes jacket for 25% off last Fall and it fit fine, actually loose but the zipper split as I was trying it on. It was fubar so I sent it back and ordered a Goldtop jacket and love it, a big step up in quality for less than the 25% off price for the twin stripes.

Happy to see BMW will be developing a fix for the headlight. I haven't had an issue, but the bike shakes the fairing so much I figure it's only a matter of time.

waitng till remedy is ready before i put in a warranty claim or recall comes in Canada. Since bike is stuck in the garage till spring i can wait till then. Been tempted to get at the headlight to see whats wrong but thats alot of pieces to take out and i dont know if you can even open that headlight up. Anyone done that?

I'd consider a Goldtop jacket from right there in the UK. BMW must be using super cheap zippers on their jackests. I ordered the BMW twin stripes jacket for 25% off last Fall and it fit fine, actually loose but the zipper split as I was trying it on. It was fubar so I sent it back and ordered a Goldtop jacket and love it, a big step up in quality for less than the 25% off price for the twin stripes.

Happy to see BMW will be developing a fix for the headlight. I haven't had an issue, but the bike shakes the fairing so much I figure it's only a matter of time.
Cheers. When you mention Goldtop are you referring to this?

https://goldtop.co.uk/collections/jackets

👍👍

BMW uses a Talon zipper on the PureBoxer. Talon was a huge zipper manufacturer (the first, if I’m researching well) dating back pre war. Supposedly a solid zip, but my first go didn’t instill much confidence. Hoping the replacement goes the distance.

waitng till remedy is ready before i put in a warranty claim or recall comes in Canada. Since bike is stuck in the garage till spring i can wait till then. Been tempted to get at the headlight to see whats wrong but thats alot of pieces to take out and i dont know if you can even open that headlight up. Anyone done that?
I believe it’s a sealed unit, so not sure what ability there is to dip into it.

And yeah, smart to wait so that you can get the actual improved unit as a replacement.

Back