Wunderlich leg rest

I haven't seen these previously. They appear to be new. Not a fan of the BMW offering, since it requires engine bars and a certain shape. These appear to blend in a bit better with the engine lines as well. If they make a black version, I might actually put them on the wishlist ($450 is Wunderbucks of course). Anyway, good to see more options popping up across the board!Capture.PNG

As an owner of the bmw Leg Rest I can see, maybe, these would be nice especially if one did not have the bmw engine guards. I will say the bmw leg rest are not perfect but that is due to the massive jug on each side. The movement of your legs up on them and then off is not elegant nor smooth. Though do offer they provide comfort once your legs are up on them With large support area.

As an owner of the bmw Leg Rest I can see, maybe, these would be nice especially if one did not have the bmw engine guards. I will say the bmw leg rest are not perfect but that is due to the massive jug on each side. The movement of your legs up on them and then off is not elegant nor smooth. Though do offer they provide comfort once your legs are up on them With large support area.
So, logical brain says, A) none of these are "crash bars" they're tip/drop bars. The cylinder heads themselves have inches of metal before you actually get to an "engine disabling" level of damage. B) the entire bike (to me) is built around having a massive boxer. It is intended and pretty much always the first thing folks notice. As such, I'm a bit hesitant to muddy the look/lines by adding bars that I hopefully won't use (I've tipped two bikes in the last decade).

That said, I'm also not 100% sold on the idea of needing "highway pegs" as I have spend hundreds of miles in a day on bikes VASTLY less touring friendly, and feet/leg problems trail way behind other body parts. I get that cruiser folks probably find the R18 less friendly, but as a not cruiser dude, simply having footboards I can scoot up or down an inch on is way more than I'm used to. Any foot position mod is like 7th on my list of "I'm bored, let's buy a bike thing", but that's a YMMV based on experience/expectation thing more than likely.

I initially purchased my B with the Engine Protection Bar and the BMW "Webber Grill Master" Leg Rest; I tried using the Leg Rest on a few rides, it wasn't a comfortable position for me. Similar to Kickstand_Down, I find the floorboards extremely comfortable when compared my GS Adventure bike, and I didn't want to take away from the look of the bike - so I sold the BMW Leg Rest. I've even considered removing & selling the BMW engine protection bar, in order to restore the look of the bike; however, I need the Protection Bar to mount the TC Lower Leg Wind Protection pieces.

I may go out and dork around on the B model, while I'm out in the garage later today (Installing upper protection bars on cousin's Triumph Tiger XRT 1200), just to re-visit the Leg Rest thing... If I was going to attempt a Leg Rest; I'd probably would go this route as the BMW OEM rest didn't work out.

Below shows how the Leg Rest mounts over the cylinder heads - again, solid Wunderlich design:

1668941130577.png

I haven't seen these previously. They appear to be new. Not a fan of the BMW offering, since it requires engine bars and a certain shape. These appear to blend in a bit better with the engine lines as well. If they make a black version, I might actually put them on the wishlist ($450 is Wunderbucks of course). Anyway, good to see more options popping up across the board!View attachment 7895
Has anyone placed an order as of yet? It looks like Wunderlich is taking pre-orders at this point.

My first thought was I like the looks of these leg rests. Good minimalist design.

So, logical brain says, A) none of these are "crash bars" they're tip/drop bars. The cylinder heads themselves have inches of metal before you actually get to an "engine disabling" level of damage. B) the entire bike (to me) is built around having a massive boxer. It is intended and pretty much always the first thing folks notice. As such, I'm a bit hesitant to muddy the look/lines by adding bars that I hopefully won't use (I've tipped two bikes in the last decade).

That said, I'm also not 100% sold on the idea of needing "highway pegs" as I have spend hundreds of miles in a day on bikes VASTLY less touring friendly, and feet/leg problems trail way behind other body parts. I get that cruiser folks probably find the R18 less friendly, but as a not cruiser dude, simply having footboards I can scoot up or down an inch on is way more than I'm used to. Any foot position mod is like 7th on my list of "I'm bored, let's buy a bike thing", but that's a YMMV based on experience/expectation thing more than likely.

I have “crash bars” on my GSA as they came stock. It’s the only bike I have that has ever “crashed” and that was always off-road…. Once in slick clay, the other in deep sand, so soft ground didn’t harm anything. If I crashed while riding it in one of the more common rock gardens in the northeast, they would help. I’ve no intention of taking my R18 off pavement, so I don’t see the point of crash bars.

I do have highway pegs on the GSA’s crash bars. If I do get stuck riding highway for an extended period 95% of the time, my feet are on the normal pegs. It’s nice to be able to stretch your legs on the highway pegs, but I find when I really want to do that, I probably should stop for a rest anyway. I’ve rested my legs directly on the cylinders on my R18 in similar situations, but like my GSA, they are there for a minute or 2 and then back to normal footboards.

I do like the minimalist design of the Wunderlich above. I’d rather do those than add “crash bars” to my R18. At $100, I’d consider it, but at $450, I don’t see myself using them enough to warrant that expense.

I initially purchased my B with the Engine Protection Bar and the BMW "Webber Grill Master" Leg Rest; I tried using the Leg Rest on a few rides, it wasn't a comfortable position for me. Similar to Kickstand_Down, I find the floorboards extremely comfortable when compared my GS Adventure bike, and I didn't want to take away from the look of the bike - so I sold the BMW Leg Rest. I've even considered removing & selling the BMW engine protection bar, in order to restore the look of the bike; however, I need the Protection Bar to mount the TC Lower Leg Wind Protection pieces.

I may go out and dork around on the B model, while I'm out in the garage later today (Installing upper protection bars on cousin's Triumph Tiger XRT 1200), just to re-visit the Leg Rest thing... If I was going to attempt a Leg Rest; I'd probably would go this route as the BMW OEM rest didn't work out.

Below shows how the Leg Rest mounts over the cylinder heads - again, solid Wunderlich design:

View attachment 7906

I received an e-mail notification from Wunderlich, that the Leg Rest are now available for purchase:

I made some custom floorboards that are 10" long on the right side and 9.5" long on the left (allows for kickstand motion). These boards are welded to two 3/8 inch brackets that bolts to the stock attachment point using the 8 mm bolt.

The front of my shin is about 1/2 inch from the chrome intakes which is never hot. In short my feet are about 6" further forward than when I got the bike. I like the feet forward position but can slide back at any time and let my heels hang off the back of the boards.

It baffles me that BMW did not make the stock boards longer. There is a lot of room for forward movement of the feet. I have not yet adjusted the length of the shift levers to my boards but that is soon to happen.

I made some custom floorboards that are 10" long on the right side and 9.5" long on the left (allows for kickstand motion). These boards are welded to two 3/8 inch brackets that bolts to the stock attachment point using the 8 mm bolt.

The front of my shin is about 1/2 inch from the chrome intakes which is never hot. In short my feet are about 6" further forward than when I got the bike. I like the feet forward position but can slide back at any time and let my heels hang off the back of the boards.

It baffles me that BMW did not make the stock boards longer. There is a lot of room for forward movement of the feet. I have not yet adjusted the length of the shift levers to my boards but that is soon to happen.
I totally agree; I read a lot of complaints prior to selecting the R18 B about how the cylinder heads would limit feet placement and such - moving from a GS Adventure, I find the R18 extremely comfortable as is..

Has anyone tried these on a TC? It seems to me the leg wind deflectors would be an impediment to using these leg rests.

I agree they look sweet but I'm not sure if they're much more than looks. My cylinder heads don't get very hot, I can rest my leg on them if I want. The exhaust header though gets very hot and this doesn't extend over them.

Back