Wunderlich Engine Protection Bar.

Just installed the Wunderlich engine protection bar. $749 USD and three day delivery from Wunderlich USA. Fit and finish is excellent and I like the strength and rigidity of the 3 point mount.. Took about an hour to install. Recommend protecting the small ABS hose where it passes through the upper bar mount as there is a strong likelihood of chafing and wear there. I used a short piece of 1/4 inch irrigation hose to wrap the line. See picture

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
That is a completely weird and obtrusive routing of the brake lines.
Was the relocation of the brake lines to that ridiculous routing necessary to mount to engine guard?
Rube Goldberg would be proud of that.
Looks like a problem just waiting to manifest itself.
Why would you not retain the stock lines and routing.

Front Brake Line.jpg

Last edited:
That is a completely weird and obtrusive routing of the brake lines.
Was the relocation of the brake lines to that ridiculous routing necessary to mount to engine guard?
Rube Goldberg would be proud of that.
Looks like a problem just waiting to manifest itself.
Why would you not retain the stock lines and routing.

View attachment 1304
Those are the stock brake lines. There was no re-routing anything. On the Classic the brake line splitter is attached by the same bolt used the on the upper engine bar mount. It’s hard to see but there is lots of clearance except on the small return line.

Look closer.
So the Classic front brake lines are different. Still looks like an after thought.
Yes - on the standard the brake line splitter is located between fork downtubes and on the classic the splitter is mounted to the frame. Not sure why they need to be different. In both cases the line is routed through the hole in the upper bar mount.

Attachments

• FEB6D76E-34CB-4356-9127-D23E385273D7.jpeg
    FEB6D76E-34CB-4356-9127-D23E385273D7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
The difference in brake line routing is a result of BMW having installed the steering damper where the lines used to be on the very first models. It also does require very careful placement of the engine guard as it's installed. I also found that it was necessary to temporarily remove the rear brake lever.

20210406_113830.jpg20210406_114125.jpg20210406_114140.jpg

The difference in brake line routing is a result of BMW having installed the steering damper where the lines used to be on the very first models. It also does require very careful placement of the engine guard as it's installed. I also found that it was necessary to temporarily remove the rear brake lever.

View attachment 1308View attachment 1309View attachment 1310
Thanks for the explanation and the pictures. I see you mounted the splitter with the tab in front of the bar mount. Good idea. I think I’ll do the same.

Back