Wunderlich America R18 Rear Conversion Troubles

Hi all! Working on installing the Wunderlich America rear conversion to side plate holder as well as under seat signals also bought from Wunderlich. I removed the BMW OEM Harness and used the provided Wunderlich Harness. I have triple checked all connections between the instructions of the Kellerman Lights and the Wunderlich Harness to ensure the correct wires are hooked up to their mates. However, the lights go wild. (The blinking in the video is just frame rate, they don't actually flutter like that. My problem is that the running tail light is lighting the turn signal.....the brake light brightens the yellow turn signal portion... and the turn signals make the yellow turn signal blink.... the tail light and brake light (red light) doesn't do anything..... not sure what the heck I'm doing wrong. I'd gladly hook someone up with a reward if you can tell me what the heck i am doing wrong. All of the Wunderlich links below provide a pdf of full color instructions. Please help! I have included a video. Cheers.

Conversion Kit:

Wiring Harness:

Taillights/Signals:

Video of my issue:

Sounds like you have well covered the basics as it usually is a loose wire in a connector that's not fully seated, etc., and beyond these types of double/triple checking doing a long distance "guess" on an unfamiliar install would be less than helpful to you.

I would call them and ask for the best person to review your video with. They are in Hendersonville, NC and purchased their test mules form the nearby Asheville Dealer so I'm guessing the R&D was U.S. based rather the Fatherland so someone in-house should have the intimate knowledge of their setup you're needing.

Good luck.

Hi Josh, Did you find a solve to the light issues with the Wunderlich conversion. I have the exact same issue and wondering what the solve is

I never did. Wunderlich was great working with me for a while then I got extremely busy and need to reach back out. We were able to switch some of the wiring around to get to the current state:

At Idle: Both red/amber are illuminated
brake: both red/amber get brighter
Turn signal: both red/amber blink

Not a perfect solution, but a much safer one.

If you shoot me an email [email protected] I can try to go back in my inbox and find all the correspondence that got us to this point.

Thank you for your reply Josh, I sent you an email , I look forward to learning from you experience and hoping to find a solution

I have found the BMW EU spec indicators also behave similarly on a US spec bike. I am currently in process of trying to convert the US spec to EU spec, and it is ridiculous to me how the manufacturer made this so difficult to do.

BMW Chrome rear multifunction LED indicator - R18 - R18 Classic (K34)
https://bmw.europe-moto.com/gb/ligh...nction-led-indicator-r18-r18-classic-k34.html

i have a pair of these and are finding the behavior similar to reported, seemingly following the monochromatic design of the original brake light, but now instead of the different modes of red - dim as normal, bright when braking and blinking for L/R indicator... it now shows all the same behaviors but in amber color.

I am wondering if anyone has asked the dealer if they could remove the "5AB country specific" brake light feature on the programming level?

I have a “plug-n-play” Kellerman equipped fender arriving next week from LMC.
I am worried that whatever differences there are between Euro spec and N.A. spec models has been factored into the plug-n-play design.

Back