WTB - trade in your R18 for a B/TC...sell me the extras

motoring

Ok, all you die hard R18 lovers out there. I know some of you are itching to give in and switch to a R18B or R18TC. Go ahead and 'jump the shark' :)
Though let me know what farkles you took off the bike before trading it in. You know they give peanuts for accesories when trading a bike in so why not make some $ from me instead lol.

Yes, I know...probably no takers but if you never ask...

There is plenty good reason to switch to the B or TC. The TC has the best wind deflection of any bike I have ever ridden.

There is plenty good reason to switch to the B or TC. The TC has the best wind deflection of any bike I have ever ridden.
Downside for me is wind deflection is great in cold weather, but when it gets hot, I want as much airflow as possible. I don’t ride my GSA as much in really hot weather for that reason. It has great wind deflection, but that means you are stuck in a heat bubble. Did a fall foliage ride on the GSA yesterday and that was perfect to have the full protection in the mid 40s- low 50s F, no need for any heated gear.

When I test rode, the R18 Base, Classic & B in the summer of 21, I had a similar experience. The B blocked so much wind that it felt much warmer than either the Base or the Classic (even the classic with the windshield on). My Classic has the windscreen off all summer, but puts it on as fall temps approach and thru the winter & spring. It is not as good protection as my GSA, so I find that <20F isn’t as comfortable on the R18 as my GSA. I imagine a B or TC would be as good or better than my GSA for really cold weather. But for all year use, the fairing isn’t removable on the B or TC, so I like the convertible nature of the Classic the best.

My naked bikes tend to be the ones I use in the summer months more. My Vespa is year round, but I add a windshield in the fall and will add the skirt to cover the legs in a few weeks for the really cold temps of winter in the Northeast USA.

My dilemma is moving from a GS to an R18. I can't have both. No more room in the garage. So who moved from a late model GS to an R18 B?
I do have both a GS & an R18, plus a few other bikes. I absolutely love my R18, but also love my GS.

The GS is a Swiss Army knife, so it can do any kind of mission you want. Fast canyon carving? Check. Long roadtrips cross country? Check. Adventure riding along dirt paths? Check.

The R18 is a different character. It’s a wonderful engine feeling and I laugh out loud every time between 3 & 4K RPM. It handles better than an 800lb bike should. I love it & don’t plan on ever selling it. But, I’ve got one parking space in the garage just for bikes, so fitting 5-9 bikes is doable. I like having a different bike for each mission.

However, if I ever had to go down to a single bike garage again…. It’d be the GS. It’s not a knock on the R18, but the GS is a more practical and capable bike overall for a few different missions. I’ve had 3 GS over the years, so it shouldn’t be a surprise. ADV bikes are the single genre I’ve owned more than any other due to their versatility & I love running on Backcountry Discover Routes and my town has plenty of dirt roads. If you are honest with yourself about the mission you want a bike to do, you will find what is the right one for you.

Back