Windshield Suggestions - R18 Classic

goforth

I picked up the bike last week and learning what I like / dislike. I get a ton of turbulence with the standard windshield. Does anyone have a recommendation for a windshield that offers less / no buffeting?

Thanks!

I don’t think the windshield is the problem. I think we need to add folk wind deflectors in addition to the windshield to reduce the wind buffeting. Something like

in the pictures. Of course there isn’t anything available yet for the R18845700D1-CC04-4EA5-A68D-1D10F9D3A0E5.jpegEE9F1119-669C-4809-810F-C97F7757E0ED.jpeg

I had fork fangs on my 2017 Road King. It may have helped, but man the heat from the engine had nowhere to go but my right leg. Talk about a losing situation. That's reason why I'm a former owner of a Road King. I ordered the Puig clip on windscreen visor https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...=Product&utm_medium=email&utm_source=RevZilla Will see if that helps
I did the same, it didn’t help me. When I was riding I checked where the air was coming from. The windshield was doing its job, airflow up and over my head. All the wind is coming from up around the tank. It’s a massive amount and needs to be redirected somehow. There is another thread on this forum that also mentions the same thing.

Here is a great video on how to buy the correct height windshield

Air turbulence has been something I've fought with on my ADV bikes and Harleys with windshields. Following the advice on the video helped me select the correct height windshield. The one problem when you do get the right height, it also blocks alot of air that helps keep you cool in the summer. Madstad windshields makes the best, most adjustable windshields that really helps to stop turbulence yet allow cooling air to reach you. But they don't make one for the R18. Point is look at what they've done for ideas.

"Fangs" worked on my Harleys including my StreetGlide Special. The way I was told to see if the turbulence was coming up from the bottom where Fangs worked was to put my hand down next to the front of the tank, IF the turbulence was reduced then fangs would help.

The basically single height windshield on the Classic is one reason I didn't buy the Classic.

Nice video! It gives me a great idea where to start for windshield height.

Sounds like I need to get a few things settled before I start buying windscreens. Here's what I have planned, any input is welcome:

I ordered DK Design risers to bring the bars back to me. I'm a short guy at 5'3", so improving reach will help reduce fatigue.

I plan to get the seat modified as well with memory foam, a little lower and set the seat a bit more forward since the 'pocket' I sit in doesn't use most of the seat. In the photo below, I have a lot of unused space where the tape starts, so I will have a local shop start the upward support about 2 inches sooner.seat.jpg

I think after those modifications, I will be ready to use the method shared above to measure for a proper fitting windshield

Contact Russel Day Long, they modify your stock seat to fit you perfectly.
I picked up the bike last week and learning what I like / dislike. I get a ton of turbulence with the standard windshield. Does anyone have a recommendation for a windshield that offers less / no buffeting?

Thanks!
Nice video! It gives me a great idea where to start for windshield height.

Sounds like I need to get a few things settled before I start buying windscreens. Here's what I have planned, any input is welcome:

I ordered DK Design risers to bring the bars back to me. I'm a short guy at 5'3", so improving reach will help reduce fatigue.

I plan to get the seat modified as well with memory foam, a little lower and set the seat a bit more forward since the 'pocket' I sit in doesn't use most of the seat. In the photo below, I have a lot of unused space where the tape starts, so I will have a local shop start the upward support about 2 inches sooner.View attachment 2075

I think after those modifications, I will be ready to use the method shared above to measure for a proper fitting windshield

If you are looking for a custom comfortable seat, this is the place to go.

Thanks!
For me in any case (6') The MRA worked wonders. There is never a perfect solution unless you want a huge windscreen, but for me, this was an effective and low-cost option that also works for me in the looks department.

Also, the thing is so easy to take off. If I'm on a ride where I'm not spending hours on the highway, I just ditch it. It's actually very clean at speeds below 65 with the screen off.

Weren't these windhields been sold previously 1800 USD by BMW ? ?

Back