Windscreen Tinting?

So, I called a couple of local tint shops in the area to see if they could tint my R18B factory windscreen. They declined. I'm curious how folks usually do this, or if I should keep checking around. It's well below my sight line, but it's a pain to dry well enough to not end up with a bunch of water spots on the underside. I was thinking tinting it at 5-15% would make it dark enough to not be visible (and make my blackedy black black bike more black :p).

One of them did mention "not having a template for it", which seemed strange. Can you not grab a roll/piece big enough and just apply/razor it to fit? Maybe I should check with like vinyl wrap places instead?

If you want the entire screen tinted would suggest just purchasing a tinted windscreen replacement. Possible places do it, just have not noticed it on bikes if done that way.

When I got my sidecar installed I had a choice between a clear windshield and a dark.I chose the clear thinking I could put a mild vinyl tint on it.
I contacted Long Ride Shields(LRS) to see if they could make a flip and taller replacement for my R18C.Long story short.Billy told me they tried to use vinyl tint on their shields and he said it just won't stay on the polycarbonate shields.

Good Luck with your project.

If you want the entire screen tinted would suggest just purchasing a tinted windscreen replacement. Possible places do it, just have not noticed it on bikes if done that way.
I'm not aware of an R18B sized equivalent available tinted. Also, a new windscreen in general would be 2-4 times the price of tinting an existing piece.

Back in the day(1965).There used to be a spray on window tint.
Not sure how it would be 2-4 times cheaper if the vinyl won't stay on.

I would try a vinyl wrap place like you suggested or even just have it painted. I have a dark tint screen but BMW call it a ‘wind deflector’ and stops a lot lower than the OEM screen so probably not what you’re looking for.

I have the Pure FE and don't have the perspective of sitting on an 18B with a windscreen but if you are tall enough to easily look over your windscreen, you might try using spray Plasti-Dip in black on the back of your windscreen. I have used it on a number of my bikes with lower windscreens and it works great. Inexpensive, easy to apply and if you don't like it, it peels right off. I would never use it on a taller windscreen and lose sight of the road ahead but it really depends on you and your bike.

Law enforcement may have a opinion on painting the windshield,LOL!
What really is crazy?
$4500 for a J&H Exhaust and folks are not willing to pay $300 for a windshield.Go figure.
I gotta say:
I WAS WRONG,

I Miss Black Dog!
His talents would shine here.

I totally agree on higher windscreens/law enforcement and wasn't specifically recommending that. I caveated my statement by saying I haven't sat on a R18 with a windscreen and wasn't sure how you view the road with a R18 OEM windscreen.

I only have Plasti-Dip windscreens on my sport bikes and on a 6" windscreen on a Corbin Fleetliner for a Rocket 3. I have bought tinted windscreens for higher windscreens for other bikes like my C-14 Concours and a Klockwerks on my K1600GA but on the lower ones, if I like the OEM profile and there isn't a good dark tinted replacement, I use Plasti-Dip. I definitely don't mind spending money when necessary on my various bikes. BTW - Some windscreen manufacturers sell their windscreens in black as well as light and dark tints. I have also seen some windscreens that were taped and painted or used Plasti-Dip only part way up. To each his own though...

Last edited:
Have you tried removing the windscreen from the fairing and walking into a couple of tint shops and leaving it with them to tint; it should be extremely easy to do once removed?

Same goes with painting it, you can remove it and paint the underside of the windscreen; this allows you to continue to clean the exterior and not have to worry about rock-chips and such scratching the painted surface. NOTE: If you decide to go the paint route; find a paint that doesn't use metal, the GPS antenna is located underneath that patch on the dashboard. Paints that contain metal could attenuate or prevent the Navigation receiver from getting a good fix on multiple satellites, due to degraded RF GPS signals.

1667067948033.png

Have you tried removing the windscreen from the fairing and walking into a couple of tint shops and leaving it with them to tint; it should be extremely easy to do once removed?

Same goes with painting it, you can remove it and paint the underside of the windscreen; this allows you to continue to clean the exterior and not have to worry about rock-chips and such scratching the painted surface. NOTE: If you decide to go the paint route; find a paint that doesn't use metal, the GPS antenna is located underneath that patch on the dashboard. Paints that contain metal could attenuate or prevent the Navigation receiver from getting a good fix on multiple satellites, due to degraded RF GPS signals.

View attachment 7605
Yea, I was planning on just taking it off to get tinted. I suppose as a last ditch I could walk in with it somewhere. It’s still riding temp here, so don’t want to like drop it off for a week or something though.

I have the Pure FE and don't have the perspective of sitting on an 18B with a windscreen but if you are tall enough to easily look over your windscreen, you might try using spray Plasti-Dip in black on the back of your windscreen. I have used it on a number of my bikes with lower windscreens and it works great. Inexpensive, easy to apply and if you don't like it, it peels right off. I would never use it on a taller windscreen and lose sight of the road ahead but it really depends on you and your bike.
I’d prefer to stay away from solid black if possible. Not sure it would look right. I’ve plasti-dipped badges and small parts, but man I feel like trying to get a reasonably consistent job done in something always in my eye balls might be too much for me lol.

Law enforcement may have a opinion on painting the windshield,LOL!
What really is crazy?
$4500 for a J&H Exhaust and folks are not willing to pay $300 for a windshield.Go figure.
I gotta say:
I WAS WRONG,

I Miss Black Dog!
His talents would shine here.
They don’t have a problem with my 5% tint on my truck, and the R18B windshield is well below my sight line anyway.

I don’t own, nor would I buy a $4,500 exhaust… I’m not aware of there being a BMW tinted screen for the B. If I couldn’t find a tint shop to do it AND a dark version existed that was the same size, I likely would eventually buy it.

They don’t have a problem with my 5% tint on my truck, and the R18B windshield is well below my sight line anyway.

I don’t own, nor would I buy a $4,500 exhaust… I’m not aware of there being a BMW tinted screen for the B. If I couldn’t find a tint shop to do it AND a dark version existed that was the same size, I likely would eventually buy it.
I did see a Model-B OEM windscreen on eBay, fairly affordable (I think the seller is an active member on the forum); could be a good experimental windscreen?

I thought there was a tinted version offered by BMW, as well as the lower wind deflector also offered by BMW.

I don't think tint is an issue with law enforcement, when on a motorcycle.

I did see a Model-B OEM windscreen on eBay, fairly affordable (I think the seller is an active member on the forum); could be a good experimental windscreen?

I thought there was a tinted version offered by BMW, as well as the lower wind deflector also offered by BMW.

I don't think tint is an issue with law enforcement, when on a motorcycle.
Hmm seems like I was poking around and didn't see a factory smoke/dark/whatever screen. Might be wrong, have to check again. Yea, I saw the one on ebay as well. It's not like some huge pressing issue (especially since riding will be few and far between for several months soon). Who knows, may just keep a dowel rod around to get a towel down in there.

Hmm seems like I was poking around and didn't see a factory smoke/dark/whatever screen. Might be wrong, have to check again. Yea, I saw the one on ebay as well. It's not like some huge pressing issue (especially since riding will be few and far between for several months soon). Who knows, may just keep a dowel rod around to get a towel down in there.
My bad.. I was thinking of the two pictured options below. Maybe use the upcoming off-season to remove the windscreen to get it tinted or painted.

1667126193809.png

My bad.. I was thinking of the two pictured options below. Maybe use the upcoming off-season to remove the windscreen to get it tinted or painted.

View attachment 7610
yea, i've seen those a couple of times. Off topic, but curious as to what their purpose really is or if they have much of an effect? They don't look terrible (not nearly as bad as the tall windscreens i've seen IMO), and while the 18B windscreen is fine at <55MPH and/or with my visor closed, it would be cool if something could break up the turbulence with it open at higher speeds.

yea, i've seen those a couple of times. Off topic, but curious as to what their purpose really is or if they have much of an effect? They don't look terrible (not nearly as bad as the tall windscreens i've seen IMO), and while the 18B windscreen is fine at <55MPH and/or with my visor closed, it would be cool if something could break up the turbulence with it open at higher speeds.
Turbulence has gone for me with the wind deflector fitted. Clean air hitting my helmet and no riot shield bolted to the fairing.

Saw this reel on instagram earlier and grabbed some screenshots, appears to be painted to my eyes but hard to tell.

Attachments

• 53068D02-29ED-4481-A1B6-7B6A098B8692.png
    53068D02-29ED-4481-A1B6-7B6A098B8692.png
    8.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 8E83C965-5025-43ED-9DF4-A509094FB3CF.png
    8E83C965-5025-43ED-9DF4-A509094FB3CF.png
    11.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 50B4C1B3-E6E7-4D96-8F87-2D2015B11D86.png
    50B4C1B3-E6E7-4D96-8F87-2D2015B11D86.png
    8.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 9D0BEA8F-CAA9-44B8-AD7E-B511D7C368BC.png
    9D0BEA8F-CAA9-44B8-AD7E-B511D7C368BC.png