Who designed this ?

I agree. While I love my Alcina, there are certainly things I would change, and some list items are identical to Jim's complaints. I think it's disingenuous for anyone to come out and gush as a fanboy/girl, because there are people on the fence lurking here, figuring out whether or not to buy an R18 for themselves. If we sugarcoat the bike in every post, then we paint an unrealistic picture that NO bike can ever live up to. And, even a bike as amazing as the R18 will disappoint the prospective buyer, who imagined one thing, courtesy of the zero-defect posts here, only to realize that the real world is a b*tch, and things like bad cylinder head castings CAN make it past QA.

I only state the above as a "what-if", not actually what happens here. BUT...OTOH, some complaints can also come off as...superfluous in tone (Jim, this is NOT about you, I'm just talking in general), thusly also giving potential buyers a negative bias towards the R18.

I don't think any of us owe any "duty" towards BMW to act as pseudo sales agents for the R18 line, nor would I want to, but personally, I know how quickly BMW shuts down an unsuccessful line if there's not enough in it for them (e.g. the R1200c). Me personally, I WANT the R18 line to succeed, which is why I'm on this forum and spend my time telling Jim how to turn off his dual-screen navigation instead of being out on Alcina riding myself!

Anyways, off my soapbox for now.

Mike
Appreciated the help buddy. Same screen was on my 2022 R1250RT but since then I changed 3 bikes and forgot the procedures. Now figured out and happy as a clam!

I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam (weird, right?). I have to agree that the handlebars and the seat are both awful for full on touring. I plan on replacing both asap. Having to spend $2000 on those right out of the gate is disappointing but it's worth noting that the equivalent HD or Indian bike would have cost me almost $10k more so I'm still $8k to the good.

Surprisingly, I'm not having any issues with the windscreen or the shift and brake pedals. Once I figured out where my feet need to rest on the floorboard, they're easy to find. My pillion says she gets less buffeting on the TC than on my Vision. There's no windshield position on the Vic that work well for her.

Lastly, I expected the Motorrad app to be glitchy based on all the u-tube videos I've watched, but mine (Android) has been flawlessly reliable. My Motorola Edge Plus 2022 actually fits in the phone holder no prob. No issues with getting into map mode and running Spotify.

It's a gorgeous bike my TC. I am surprised to find some really stupid design flaws on this gorgeous bike.

- Trying to ride during mid-day hrs on a sunny day with clear skies is a torture since the large chrome panel on top of the tank put there as the fuel cap cover works like as if someone holding a mirror and reflecting the sun directly to my eyes. Solution? I had to put my extra neck cooler bandana on top of it like a sock and try to ride that way...

- Fixed windshield? For the love of God at least they could've offered a movement (adjustability) for 1,5-2.0 up and down...

- I ride to a destination at Yosemite area today and I took a longer route with curvy roads that took me 2,5 hrs to get there. Once I arrived at my destination I needed to park at an area where loose dirt was over hard layer below. Kind a like spilled cat litter on an asphalt. You know perfect for your feet to slip like as if you were on ice. Now, in those conditions I needed to use my reverse to park the bike. My gloves were already off. I touched that reverse lever and blurted out infamous "F$%#@ hell!!!!" scream... It was like as if it was on fire!

- My tail bone begin to hurt after 2 hrs on the saddle. Even on my GSA 1250 that time limit was almost 4-5 hrs... Now i am back at home and even on my soft couch I feel the pain as same as when I was sitting on that saddle.

- Motorrad app's GPS map character is sooooooo tiny, I need a microscope to see them with my aging eyes but I think even at age 20 I wouldn't be able to do that. Especially with the shake of the bike not only the tiny font but it is Tiny + Blurry font now and impossible to read. Plus detail level sucks!

- Handle bar has hardly any room for even one single attachment's adaptor. Sumo XT is a must and for God's sake BMW get rid of that ridiculous propriety app crap!

A few more stuff that pissed me off today but for now this is good enough and I am tired...
I will continue later...

It's a gorgeous bike my TC. I am surprised to find some really stupid design flaws on this gorgeous bike.

- Trying to ride during mid-day hrs on a sunny day with clear skies is a torture since the large chrome panel on top of the tank put there as the fuel cap cover works like as if someone holding a mirror and reflecting the sun directly to my eyes. Solution? I had to put my extra neck cooler bandana on top of it like a sock and try to ride that way...

- Fixed windshield? For the love of God at least they could've offered a movement (adjustability) for 1,5-2.0 up and down...

- I ride to a destination at Yosemite area today and I took a longer route with curvy roads that took me 2,5 hrs to get there. Once I arrived at my destination I needed to park at an area where loose dirt was over hard layer below. Kind a like spilled cat litter on an asphalt. You know perfect for your feet to slip like as if you were on ice. Now, in those conditions I needed to use my reverse to park the bike. My gloves were already off. I touched that reverse lever and blurted out infamous "F$%#@ hell!!!!" scream... It was like as if it was on fire!

- My tail bone begin to hurt after 2 hrs on the saddle. Even on my GSA 1250 that time limit was almost 4-5 hrs... Now i am back at home and even on my soft couch I feel the pain as same as when I was sitting on that saddle.

- Motorrad app's GPS map character is sooooooo tiny, I need a microscope to see them with my aging eyes but I think even at age 20 I wouldn't be able to do that. Especially with the shake of the bike not only the tiny font but it is Tiny + Blurry font now and impossible to read. Plus detail level sucks!

- Handle bar has hardly any room for even one single attachment's adaptor. Sumo XT is a must and for God's sake BMW get rid of that ridiculous propriety app crap!

A few more stuff that pissed me off today but for now this is good enough and I am tired...
I will continue later...

Hey i have to agree , its a great bike but BMW engineering needs a change out , why do they call the bike a tourer ? first the windshield is useless , the seat is ok but not an all day , no connection for a GPS system what ? a touring bike with no GPS connection come on guys wake up and the dreaded battery position have to take the bike apart to get at it otherwise its a great ride .

Hey i have to agree , its a great bike but BMW engineering needs a change out , why do they call the bike a tourer ? first the windshield is useless , the seat is ok but not an all day , no connection for a GPS system what ? a touring bike with no GPS connection come on guys wake up and the dreaded battery position have to take the bike apart to get at it otherwise its a great ride .
I think BMW and others are increasingly aware that users are simply using their cell phones for GPS (e.g. Google/Apple Maps) versus the old Garmin and TomTom GPS gadgets of yesteryear.

With the ability to download entire state/continent maps to ones phone, the cost/benefit pitch of an expensive dedicated GPS device (for MOST riders!) is a difficult one. For ADV, no doubt dedicated GPS devices still rule the day.

...But the R18 is not an ADV bike ;). Instead, it has BMW Motorrad Connected, which is BMW's own maps app on a riders phone (i.e. using the phone's built-in GPS).

Rather, I think the complaint here should be that we should have the option to use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay in lieu of BMW Motorrad Connected. My worry is that one day BMW will decide to make this a monthly subscription option, since they've gone down that path on their automobile half.

Also, the battery IS pretty annoying to get out, but not impossible. There are several steps involved, but the battery does slide out the side of the bike, and the procedure is detailed in the owners manual.

And agreed, BMW completely missed it when they put a FIXED windshield on the bagger and transcontinental models. FFS, the headlight MOVES when you tilt the bike! And BMW couldn't put their bread and butter tilting windshield on?!?!

Mike

Well, today I wanted to ride some dirt back roads. Had to do it on my scrambler not the R18 because BMW didn't put long travel dirt compiant long travel suspension on it... or off road tyres... and the stupid designers/engineers made it too pretty to dirty.... duh!

Capt Jim,

I agree with you about the windscreen, coming from a GTL that is the biggest thing I miss. As for the reflections, LOL Gawd, I know what you mean it is quite literally blinding! Someone on this site pointed out that a "film"' wrap on the fuel lid and all that chrome on the tank is easy and inexpensive (it is and buy the wrap online for like 10.00.) Cut down a lot of the glare! What little bit of chrome on top of the tank left is covered by a tank bag and problem solved there too. the other thing that was blinding me was the leg rests, the sunlight off those is as bad. Plus I had a problem with my left leg feeling like it wanted to slide off the leg rest. (personal issue there) I got some adhesive antiskid tape from Wally world and covered the top of the leg rests! three problems solved! Gives a whole new meaning to "Chrome don't get ya home" I attached a couple of pics of my solutions neither are permanent and can be easily removed to restore to the blinding OEM version. Just throwing them out there for your consideration, Toss them in the trash if you dont like em. Your Bike! Do what you like and ride it! LOL Hope it helps!
I do miss my electric windshield tho' :(

Attachments

• Fuel cover wrap.jpg
    Fuel cover wrap.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Leg rest.jpg
    Leg rest.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 16
While I agree ADV riders needing Zumo XT type bike specific GPS devices more than the "Touring" riders, I'd like to share my experience from a few weeks ago.

I was riding thru NorCal and while E of Redding towards the Burney Falls there was no cell signal in many areas and my maps app on iPhone 14ProMax was frozen so many times and not downloading.

As a second point Motorrad Connect app sucks in details. Whoever designed this app should be ashamed. When you zoom in streets getting closer but the text stays the same tiny font size.

Point #3; When I ride on a day with temps over 100F after hr or so iPhone gets so hot and screen gets darker and impossible to see it.... A dedicated GPS screen always stays bright and easy to read shape no matter what the temp is...

I used a static film to cover the chrome gas tank cap cover too... Otherwise I was going to risk a cornea burn! 🫣

Last edited:
While I agree ADV riders needing Zumo XT type bike specific GPS devices more than the "Touring" riders, I'd like to share my experience from a few weeks ago.

I was riding thru NorCal and while E of Redding towards the Burney Falls there was no cell signal in many areas and my maps app on iPhone 145ProMax was frozen so many times and not downloading.

As a second point Motorrad Connect app sucks in details. Whoever designed this app should be ashamed. When you zoom in streets getting closer but the text stays the same tiny font size.

Point #3; When I ride on a day with temps over 100F after hr or so iPhone gets so hot and screen gets darker and impossible to see it.... A dedicated GPS screen always stays bright and easy to read shape no matter what the temp is...

I used a static film to cover the chrome gas tank cap cover too... Otherwise I was going to risk a cornea burn! 🫣
If you put the iPhone in the built-in BMW cradle, it has a fan that keeps the phone cool. Also, remember to manually turn the brightness of the screen way down when you put it in the cradle, as auto-brightness will "correct" it for you. The technology of the screens in phones have largely switched to OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode), whereas dedicated GPS' have remained with TFT (Thin Film Transistor). The benefit of the latter is what Jim mentioned: TFT doesn't experience fade in higher temps, unlike OLED. Further, exposure to high temps will significantly shorten the phone's battery life, so there's that consideration to factor in as well if you're "too cool" to use the BMW phone cradle (pun intended).

And yeah...the Motorrad app does suck pretty bad... I'd rather BMW just give up Android Auto or Apple CarPlay options instead. I'd even PAY for those as one-time value-add features (within a reasonable $ range).

But, the Motorrad app does have offline map mode for no-cell signal areas. 🤷‍♂️

Mike

If you put the iPhone in the built-in BMW cradle, it has a fan that keeps the phone cool. Also, remember to manually turn the brightness of the screen way down when you put it in the cradle, as auto-brightness will "correct" it for you. The technology of the screens in phones have largely switched to OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode), whereas dedicated GPS' have remained with TFT (Thin Film Transistor). The benefit of the latter is what Jim mentioned: TFT doesn't experience fade in higher temps, unlike OLED. Further, exposure to high temps will significantly shorten the phone's battery life, so there's that consideration to factor in as well if you're "too cool" to use the BMW phone cradle (pun intended).

And yeah...the Motorrad app does suck pretty bad... I'd rather BMW just give up Android Auto or Apple CarPlay options instead. I'd even PAY for those as one-time value-add features (within a reasonable $ range).

But, the Motorrad app does have offline map mode for no-cell signal areas. 🤷‍♂️

Mike
Thank you for the explaining the specifics of the screen technologies my friend...

I use all the tips and tricks to protect and extend the well being for all of my electronic devices as well as my phone and its battery. But there is no way for me to squeeze my iPhone 14 Pro Max to that special BMW "hole"....

Also, I don't know where you live, but where I live the temps during the summer time are constantly over 105F / 40C on a daily basis. Last week we had 5 days over 113F/ 45C. Besides my phone not fitting in that little "special" BMW housing, that tiny fan does not help to cool anything other than bugging me with its constant whirring even when there is no phone in there. I guess BMW couldn't figure it out installing a sensor or a simple switch there so that stupid fan only runs when a phone is inserted in that area.
So, in my area you can fry an egg in that special BMW hole while riding over an hour during midday :)

I agree 100% with you regarding Android or Apple Car play tech should be offered by BMW and not this stupid lowest quality proprietary BS !!!

Yes app does have offline map mode for no cell signal areas but when the detailing level sucks and the fonts are unreadably small what does it good for??? On my last ride I came across a junction in Yosemite National Parks area... One to the left one to the right and the main road I was on... When I looked down ( after I pulled over and stopped so I can read the labels) at every zoom level map only showed the road I was on. So I took my phone out of my pocket and looked at its Maps app and not only that two roads but also other side roads were on it and by looking at that I realized one of the side roads goes alongside a river and I decided to go thru that route. It was a wonderful scenic route. If I only relied on that stupid Motorrad app I wouldn't know that road along the river was even existed.
I guess that is important factor to be considered when we are talking about the details on maps whether on a phone app or on a dedicated GPS device or on a proprietary app like BMW trying to establish!
Anyways, at least riding is still fun!
Ride safe my friend!

UPDATE: Today I got myself a brand new iPhone 13 just to make it a dedicated bike phone. Let's see how this will work. Now I have a phone that fits the slot!

I absolutely don't have any unknown issues with my bike, when it comes to Navigation & Music; I do the following:
1. I download my playlist to my phone via Prime or YT music; this allows music where cellular coverage is non-existent.
2. I turn ON the do not disturb option, so that text and email notifications don't mute the music.
3. Wi-Fi needs to be turned ON in order to sync the bike with BMW Connect app.
4. I launch my music app first; again, selecting my playlist which is downloaded onto the device. Then I launch the BMW Connect app and finally Turn On my bike and get it started. Before hitting the road, I use the TFT menu and go to media and hit Play; once I hear music through my speakers, I then scroll back up into the menu and move to Navigation, and wait until the map is broadcasted on to the TFT screen - squeeze Clutch, Select 1st gear and away I go...

NOTE: I've found an area on Rt 17 which causes Wi-Fi interference, which causes my map to disappear (due to the Wi-Fi air interface between my phone and TFT being jammed); it clears up after about 300' or so of road travel and automatically restores the map screen.

- Handle bar has hardly any room for even one single attachment's adaptor. Zumo XT is a must and for God's sake BMW get rid of that ridiculous propriety app crap!

I will continue later...
1. Actually hadn't noticed this until I had my modular flipped up after leaving a gas station one day. Chin guard seems to completely block the glare otherwise. Looks like a pretty easy shape to wrap.

2. I wasn't a fan of the TC windshield height when I test rode one. Too high to get any breeze. Bagger windshield is a good mix of air/coverage. Maybe get one and swap them as necessary? Also could get a spoiler ((though not sure if you are saying it's too high or low or what).

3. Maybe I just haven't managed to park in a direction with super direct sunlight on the handle..... but I have had my bike outside for many hours in the blazing sun, and the reverse lever has never been anything hotter than ambient.

4. I did a SS1000 on the stock bagger comfort seat (one with the horizontal rib things), which is about an inch or something thinner than the TC seat. 19 hours in the saddle, aside from gas stops, and my butt was about #5 on the list of "not happy body parts". YMMV I guess... Maybe try a sheepskin?

5. I feel like the built in GPS is basically a meme at this point. It's a hot garbage tacked on piece of software. I personally prefer my phone anyway (though ultimately would love carplay/android auto instead).

6. Dunno, I mount my phone vertically on one side, and cup holder on the other. Feel like any bike with handlebars sort of in the fairing is going to have limited mounting space. Just a thing.

Back