While Ryan F9 might not love BMW, his data loves the R18 engine reliability apparently

Keehn

Site Supporter
Elite Member
Watch the YouTube short that describes the scatter chart Ryan and his crew put together:

To the left, "2.2" being "Most Reliable", and "3.8" being "Most Unreliable", it would appear that our R18 engines stand out as the MOST reliable of the current generation Beemer engines, per the formula Ryan did (he has a double-major in physics, BTW).

You can find the actual interactive chart at: https://fortnine.ca/en/reliability-factor-of-motorcycles

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 23.14.21.png
Note the white dot with the square popover balloon? That's our R18, the MOST reliable current-generation BMW motorcycle engine per Ryan's calculations.

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 23.14.50.png
For comparisons sake (and, not surprisingly), the M1000RR would be the LEAST reliable current-gen Beemer engine.

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 23.14.00.png
Lastly, in the vintage bikes section, the 1980 BMW R80G/S ranks more reliable than the R18 based on the set variables, but I included it here to show that the R18's not...really that far off.

I think the bottom line is that the 1802cc big boxer is so big and underpowered, treated properly they should be a stupidly-reliable power plant for decades to come.

Mike

I don't know where the advance is set on these motors, but I'm sure the compression ration is not high. Simply pushing the advance forward a bit, and adding domed pistons would give this Mo Fo probably another 20lbs+ of torque.... then a remap, just enough to shut me up!!!
But you have to open up the motor....I'm all done with that kinda stuff....

Great post. I think this is one of the most overlooked things about our bikes, they are basically the tried and true bmw airhead/oilhead that's legendary for reliability. When you need to work in them, almost everything is right there. You don't have to spend 7 hours removing plastics to get to an air filter.

Great post. I think this is one of the most overlooked things about our bikes, they are basically the tried and true bmw airhead/oilhead that's legendary for reliability. When you need to work in them, almost everything is right there. You don't have to spend 7 hours removing plastics to get to an air filter.
Are you referring to a Goldwing by any chance ? 😉

I'm not sure that mechanical reliability really applies in this era the way it once did, I think it has tilted to (in the case of motorcycles) electrical/electronics, parts availability/cost and possibly available knowledge (manuals etc).

Anyway, if one is over 60yo..... it's unlikely to be an issue.....

Back