Wheezing Noise in engine

XUMERX

Site Supporter
So I’m at the 650 miles mark on my R18 and noticed that when I’m in rock mode and at a stand still with bike warm, I’m getting like a wheezing noise as the engine runs. It’s consistent with the engines RPM. If I blip the throttle it goes away momentarily. Clutch in or out doesn’t make a difference. Gear or neutral doesn’t make a difference. I’m out of warranty now.. I already did an oil change at 100 miles due to time instead of miles.. I check my level and it’s correct. I will try to post a video.. any ideas?

So I’m at the 650 miles mark on my R18 and noticed that when I’m in rock mode and at a stand still with bike warm, I’m getting like a wheezing noise as the engine runs. It’s consistent with the engines RPM. If I blip the throttle it goes away momentarily. Clutch in or out doesn’t make a difference. Gear or neutral doesn’t make a difference. I’m out of warranty now.. I already did an oil change at 100 miles due to time instead of miles.. I check my level and it’s correct. I will try to post a video.. any ideas?
It's a fuel pump whine. Your dealer can fix it with a software update.

Maybe it's the air intake at the air box?

Probably worth checking your firmware version against what is currently available and proven to be working well by other forum members; if grossly different, perhaps have your dealership bring your bike up to date with the latest version.

it’s just strange because it does it every now and then… the fuel pump whine I’ve heard before and it’s not that.. it’s just it wheezing old yeee yeee yeee pretty rapid.

Okay so I’ve noticed it does it when I’ve come from a bit of a ride. As soon as I pull into my driveway and idle in gear it makes the noise.. if I put it in neutral the noise changes but is still fairly audible.

Call you dealer and ask the service dept. to look up.

BMW R18
PUMA - Service Bulletin
S1 13 07 21
Loud / Noisy Fuel Pump

Back