What did you do to your R18 today?

TodkaVonic

Site Supporter
Elite Member
A thread about little mods and tweaks. When good enough isn't quite good enough...

3M protective tape between rubber pillion seat feet and rear fender.
F5BEC97B-FC68-4A2D-84BD-DA802F9FB1A8.jpeg

I put a little talc on the rubber feet to sort out exactly where they landed. The result is not super pretty but it's effective.

Nate

***Those are not scratches but merely reflections. Kinda did a double-take there.

Last edited:
Custom fabricated to fit the Corbin seat. Ready to Paint. Will be completed this weekend. Need to make the plug for the license plate lights. Even managed to use the stock wiring harness attachment hardware.
No Cutting or splicing of any wiring. All stock parts can be reinstalled in less than an hour.
This is the inside "Hidden under the seat" showing all the connection points and wiring.
PS:
The the wireless key antenna needs to be mounted to the wiring harness coil In the fore ground.
Mounting it directly to the aluminum sheet "as in the photo", the aluminum acts as a RF shield and severely limits the range of th key fob.

Attachments

• IMG_1329.JPG
    IMG_1329.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I did the same upgrade, are you concerned about the bell of the horn facing down instead of forward? When I mounted the horn I found the facing of the bell was limited by the required location of the wire connection. Lots of heat sources down there that could melt the wire insulation and plastic connector. So I ended up mounting the horn in the same orientation as you. I felt the horn would have been more effective aimed forward to direct the sound in that direction. Also I notice you didn’t replace the wire tie on the wire to the connector in case you forgot.

I mimicked the configuration of the factory horn's perch relative to the position of the electrical connection. I figured that the BMW engineers oriented the plug that way for a reason: heat, whatever. It's probably not the most effective angle for the horn but still louder than stock. And less likely to get gummed-up with sand or pebbles than it could if opening forward. Regarding the zip tie, yes I replaced it, maybe I could snug the wires down a bit though to lessen the slack though.

Great upgrade and all because of information shared amongst this group:)

/maybe mounting it horn forward with a wee screen?

Last edited:
I mimicked the configuration of the factory horn's perch and electrical connection. I figured that the BMW engineers oriented the plug that way for a reason: heat, whatever. It's probably not the most effective angle for the horn but still louder than stock. And less likely to get gummed-up with sand or pebbles than it could if opening forward. Regarding the zip tie, yes I replaced it, maybe I could snug the wires down a bit though to lessen the slack though.

Great upgrade and all because of information shared amongst this group:)

/maybe mounting it horn forward with a wee screen?
Yes I see the zip tie now Sorry I should have looked closer

No worries and good eye! I really like that we have a motorcycle with such attention to detail that they thought it necessary to cinch down the inch or so of slack in the wiring to the horn. I can't imagine not leaving it as I found it.

Until more sophisticated and integral rear lighting is available, I added this retro aux. tail light using a GoPro mount and the DIN Powerlet port to power it. It helps being seen from behind.

looks good! Anything to get people to keep their eyes off their phones and on the road.

Back