What did you do to your R18 today?

Put a little Puig on it today. Quick detach. Enough to make long high speed rides a bit more comfortable. Hope you all are riding in your local Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride this weekend! If not you kinda suck

Attachments

• 55B1CF35-6EA6-4B63-A2ED-64E23888E2BE.jpeg
    55B1CF35-6EA6-4B63-A2ED-64E23888E2BE.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 57
Despite suggesting I was going to keep my new-to-me Pure … pure, I have just installed my second Daedalus tail tidy. A pricey, but incredibly well-finished bit of kit that does exactly what it is supposed to without any drama. Hooray for deleting the rear Shrek ears!

Reactions: 4CA
today I received the last detail thanks to which the R18 Heritage project was completed. Tomorrow we have a full day of preparation: putting all the pieces together, etc. The launch will take place during DGR on May 21. On this day you will see the first photos. The motorcycle was created to celebrate the 100th anniversary of BMW motorcycle production. Compare our project with projects from other designers - you will understand where the name Heritage comes from ;)IMG_3160.jpeg007A1833.JPG007A1829.JPG

One of my bike modification rules is.... if the purchase, delivery and installation of a "thing" goes undetected (by wife) then it never happened. Having been retired for 13 years... so no longer able to have "things" delivered to work.... "undetected" is no longer a given.

Anyway.... a Wilbers shock and some wunderlich heel and toe lever extender thingies never happend today. Also removed the exhaust flap servos.... which also never happened.

Just waiting on my Hommage seat now... which has been fully declared... so will happen.

Of course, something that never happened, can not be photographed..... sorry.... that would be a beginner mis-step.

Also... the shock was meant to be a +20.... but I think they sent me a normal length.... only noticed that after install.... not sure how I feel about that.... maybe a bit let down..... about 20mm let down I guess.

EDIT...one day in and my Hommage seat arrived...... straight though customs.... yipee.....from the stock low seat this is 45mm higher... I might try spacing it up another 25mm (an inch).

View attachment 10006
Why didn’t you return Wilber’s shock if you ordered +20 and didn’t receive it?

Why didn’t you return Wilber’s shock if you ordered +20 and didn’t receive it?
I received it.... installed it.... and then measured bike height... and went "ugh".... keep in mind the +20mm shock would only be 6.5mm longer... something I did not notice in isolation... paper work that came with it doesn't help.

Then.... of course.... one thinks... did I measure the height to that point originally?.... don't be stupid.... you wrote it down with a diagram.... did I stuff that up?.... no I don't think so... what does the paper work say.... buggar... that doesn't help.... etc etc... oh well.... looks fine... I wonder if it was +20 if it would have looked too high..... maybe just see if ground clearance is ok before following up...

FWIW.... it seems to be 10mm lower.... though preload/sag could account for that.

20230522_113949.jpg

Last edited:
Adjusted my new Wilbers shock today.... fwiw.... the ride yesterday was pretty disappointing (probally preffered stock shock ride)..... so.... confirmed that the shock is a +20... so good there.... unfortunately I had changed the seat (to a Homage) so two things different... ride was harsher at higher speed over medium bumps.... think bum bashed out of seat a dozen times.... but I was fanging* it a bit.

Anyway.... back to set up 1st principles... unloaded and loaded sag set..... used Wilbers suggested ammounts, needed to back off preload a fair bit.... one needs to remove the homage seat for this... 4 bolts and some fiddling... not a roadside thing.... as I cheaped out and didn't get the remote preload one..... then wind off dampening and bounce rear ( as per David Moss tuning).... increase dampening until no second bounce.... in the end the dampening was wound back a lot as well....... even with the dampening wound all the way back I did not detect a second bounce.... my Nitron shock on my scrambler seems to give me more dampening scope..... (it's like Nitron assume you have a brain and Wilbers assume you don't... just like BMW).... anyway now to ride again and tune from there.... tomorrows job.

My best guess is that Wilbers delivered me a shock preset for riding on nicely formed and surfaced German roads.... fingers crossed.... none of those in my riding world. I do remember that my Nitron shock I got for my BMW Scrambler needed some effort to get optimised for my riding conditions.... which included fork work.

The front'n rear suspension frequency felt out as well.... but I expect the Wilbers fork springs will sort that as a next step.... and could explain why I'd give the nod to the stock shock at this point.

*I made a note to myself after yesterdays ride....... I was riding way to quick at times for a 350kg cruiser in the Adelaide hills..... I need to brake more and enjoy the bikes torque out of the corners..... and ride my scrambler when I want to fang it in a more traditional "sports" bike way....too easy to get sucked in with this bike.... no high reving drama for quick acceleration.... along with excelent stability.... and good toss'ability means you end up going faster then it naturally feels.....

Last edited:
Adjusted my new Wilbers shock today.... fwiw.... the ride yesterday was pretty disappointing (probally preffered stock shock ride)..... so.... confirmed that the shock is a +20... so good there.... unfortunately I had changed the seat (to a Homage) so two things different... ride was harsher at higher speed over medium bumps.... think bum bashed out of seat a dozen times.... but I was fanging* it a bit.
About to take delivery of my Hommage seat, I am a bit concerned. I know it’s early and you still have some dialing in to do, but beyond what undo influences the seat may have, do you at least consider it comfortable? At least more so than stock? (I also have a Day Rider and an RSD Vintage Solo) I was after the Hommage for the added height, but if it ain’t a one hour plus saddle…

Consensus is Hommage gives a higher position ( intended reason for purchase ) however uncomfortable after 1 hour of riding. Why don’t you have an upholsterer apply their magic ( gel / foam / cover ) for comfort ? Simple solution.

About to take delivery of my Hommage seat, I am a bit concerned. I know it’s early and you still have some dialing in to do, but beyond what undo influences the seat may have, do you at least consider it comfortable? At least more so than stock? (I also have a Day Rider and an RSD Vintage Solo) I was after the Hommage for the added height, but if it ain’t a one hour plus saddle…
From my perspective I consider comfort from 3 angles..... 1. Hip/knees 2. Bar reach/torso position and 3. Bum comfort. My experience with the homage is 1 & 2 is an improvement and 3 not so much. It feels like a very firm seat.... however.... it is a different shape as well..... the stock seat caused me to splay my legs... the homage sees them in a more natural forward position.

And.... for me.... discomfort with 1 & 2 is instant and builds once on the bike.... 3 builds over time..... even with the homage 1 & 2 is what I notice.... but the homage IS better then stock..... 1 & 2 makes the bike a one hour ride before a stretch.... and.... there is no way the homage and the word plush can be used in the one sentance.

Last edited:
Well.... big ride to the Red Cross in the big smoke.... to give blood.... so I got to filter traffic and blast off at lots of traffic lights..... my rural town I live in in South Australia is a bit sleepy... no traffic lights within 50kms. Anyway.... this bike is a traffic light hoot.... no wind noise so can hear the "flapperless" exhaust as well.... nice.

So.... my rear Wilbers shock started to show promise.... it came with preload set at 31mm (of shock thread to top of spring) and I needed to back it off 10mm to get about 30mm of rider sag (ie 20mm more then the 10mm static sag). I also backed off the dampening from about the middle to only 2 clicks of the 21 available. I'm now at a point to fine tune..... probally will add 3mm or so preload back in and see from there....

I also contacted the agent for fork YSS emulators and they reckon they have them for the R18.... ($150aud) so fork work comes next now.... that is sure to be fun.

I installed a wunderlich reverse lever.... so I don't look like I have an itchy knee (or worse).... and also got a rear guard rack from the orient.... thankfully better welded then I would do.... was a bit worried about that..... I also made the spacers under my Homage seat disappear... (painted them black....).

Last edited:
Installed the ebay version of the DK design risers, and readjust my bars accordingly. It definitely helps me out as a shorter rider and makes everything comfier.

Downside is they were missing one of the nuts for the increasing the height of the lines but I solved that it a spare nut that happened to fit.

Also, I maybe weird in this department, but I have been messing with the modes more again and I'm starting to find that I might prefer Roll mode.

Installed the ebay version of the DK design risers, and readjust my bars accordingly. It definitely helps me out as a shorter rider and makes everything comfier.

Downside is they were missing one of the nuts for the increasing the height of the lines but I solved that it a spare nut that happened to fit.

Also, I maybe weird in this department, but I have been messing with the modes more again and I'm starting to find that I might prefer Roll mode.
Got a picture of the bike with the new risers? I'd love to see them.

Back