What did you do to your R18 today?

Fabbed up a couple brackets to give the saddle bag support bracket something to bolt to now that the exhaust brackets are gone. Had her all naked like an R18 Pure for a few days. Now she's back to full dress.

Attachments

• 20240303_183217.jpg
    20240303_183217.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 20240303_183142.jpg
    20240303_183142.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Decided to do an oil change even though for warranty purposes I need to take the bike in for it's first annual service in a couple of months. I'd covered enough miles since it's initial break in service that I thought it was worth it. Like most things, my oil dranage pans where to tall.... nothing ever goes as planned!

Anyway, went for a ride.... I'd swear the motor is quieter.

When I got the bike from the dealer it only had 70kms on it but was 21/3 manufacture.... so they did the 1,000km service on it before delivery to me (inc brake fluid). It has done 5,000 km now.... I probally should had done the oil a bit sooner.

I'm not keen on dealer servicing, as I live in the country and lose a whole day for a simple service. Though I do need to have the dealer service the bike to keep the warranty intact (an Australian thing).... so normally get it serviced until the last warranty year (5th for the R18).... mostly I don't bother in the last year as the risk of an issue in the 3rd (if a 3 year warranty) or 5th year of ownership is quite low (unless a known issue is likely).... but I also don't want to start having services a bit early as by year 5 the annual service will have crept forward by up to 5 or more months. Yes, I am that calculated. Anyway, given the oil is only $60 for 4 litres, and I could hear how happy the bike was, I am now going to do a mid service simple oil change from now on. I won't bother with a filter though.

Last edited:
Decided to do an oil change even though for warranty purposes I need to take the bike in for it's first annual service in a couple of months. I'd covered enough miles since it's initial break in service that I thought it was worth it. Like most things, my oil dranage pans where to tall.... nothing ever goes as planned!

Anyway, went for a ride.... I'd swear the motor is quieter.

When I got the bike from the dealer it only had 70kms on it but was 21/3 manufacture.... so they did the 1,000km service on it before delivery to me (inc brake fluid). It has done 5,000 km now.... I probally should had done the oil a bit sooner.
I always notice the quieter engine. Then I switched to Liqui Moly and even better.

I always notice the quieter engine. Then I switched to Liqui Moly and even better.
The Australian oil I'm running is a API SP rated oil.... (15w50)... I'm still lacking data on the need for a MA2 rating or how a SJ - SN rating oil compares to a SP rated oil in an air cooled boxer (all other things being equal). But extensive reading hasn't shed any light on the matter.... though it is clear SN is a higher/better rating.... so would the bike be best off with with a 15w50 SJ MA2 (minimum spec) or a 15w50 SN?

My reading suggests the MA2 is all about an ok "modern type" oil that works ok with wet clutches.

Wet clutch oil isn’t necessarily better oil, it’s just a different specification. Well, the weather Gods were in a good mood today so I got the bike out for its first ride of 2024. Found some nice quiet country roads and opened it up a bit more than I perhaps normally would, blew the cobwebs off, for a big girl she’s no slouch! Really enjoyed it. 😁

Same here. Went to the Bike Shed in London for lunch.

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpeg
    IMG_0770.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0769.jpeg
    IMG_0769.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0772.jpeg
    IMG_0772.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0774.jpeg
    IMG_0774.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0775.jpeg
    IMG_0775.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0773.jpeg
    IMG_0773.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 42
Florida had an Ace Cafe Orlando franchised from the original Ace Cafe London, for a while.
Having visited the original one in London I was so glad to have a local one just a couple of hours away.
Sad to see them close.

Im south, Fort Lauderdale area. I own a euro shop and we are trying to move into a new building that we are constructing... if that happens Im trying to hold events.

I have been dying to find a local rider to hang with. Tomorrow I’m doing my Arnott air suspension install at my shop on a day off. Would be a perfect hang out.

Alright. My shop has finally started its YouTube channel and will be geared towards the r18 and BMW or just shop antics. Soooo WITH THAT BEING SAID!. Im attaching our first published video so you guys can get a tease of the Arnott suspension installed. There is a full install video for the Pro Race system and this Arnott system coming shortly! Enjoy the content and subscribe!

Last edited:
Back