Weird case of the bike dying suddenly.

Was out riding one day when the speedo suddenly went blank along with the bike cutting out and all electrics dead. When trying to turn it on again the bike was cycling through the speedo test and as needle hit about half way a relay? would click and the speedo go blank again (total loss of power)

After a short while I got the bike to come back to life again and rode home, it has done it a couple of times since - I'd think it was some sort of battery fault BUT for the fact it's instant and when it does cycle through diagnostics successfully the bike starts right away.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be ?

Thanks

Bob

That's not cool... Do you recall if you hit any bumps and such which created the issue due to a lose electrical connection?

Keep us all posted on this issue, maybe the dealership can pull an error log from the ECU?

Could a kickstand switch cause this, either a bad one or if the kickstand was actually moved to actuate it?

Could a kickstand switch cause this, either a bad one or if the kickstand was actually moved to actuate it?
I don't think so.... my bike motor stopped on my ride home from picking it up... I coasted to a stop.... it started back up.... I assumed I'd hit the stand instead of the rear upshifter.... didn't loose electrics etc as per ops post.... I intend to bypass the sidestand switch at some point.

Was out riding one day when the speedo suddenly went blank along with the bike cutting out and all electrics dead. When trying to turn it on again the bike was cycling through the speedo test and as needle hit about half way a relay? would click and the speedo go blank again (total loss of power)

After a short while I got the bike to come back to life again and rode home, it has done it a couple of times since - I'd think it was some sort of battery fault BUT for the fact it's instant and when it does cycle through diagnostics successfully the bike starts right away.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be ?

Thanks

Bob
Ever find a solution to this?

Sorry missed this ! Had bike recovered and into the local dealers - they could replicate the issue and disconnected some of the connections greased/cleaned them and put it back together - it hasn't done it again!!
I was having a similar issue and turned out to be a loose positive battery cable connection. No issues since for me either

Back