Vance & Hines & OEM slips

The day I purchased bike my dealer also put on the Vance slip ons, 23 R18b. As soon as I arrived at home that day I went to remove them as I was under impressed. To my surprise these slip ons were NOT slipping off in any way shape or form. Matter of fact between removing them and putting back on my OEM mufflers it took forever, 3 plus hrs of twisting pulling pushing. Ends up the left side I was unable to slide the OEM muffler completely on, like 1/2” short onto header pipe. Add to it on that side where the tear drop chrome piece is on the frame, the heat shield was up against it and actually rubbed a small groove in it.

Went back to dealer after a few days to see what’s up, a guy took it in back and when he returned said it’s good to go. I asked how did he get that side all the way in he said he had some tricks, asked him to be specific and he said he pounded the end of muffler with a rubber mallet until it slid on all the way.

I’m concerned. I’ve never had a bike where the slip ons didn’t do just that, slip on and off really. Also concerned about the heat shield running against the frame. As I got under the bike just to see wtf, I found this on the underside of rear wheel swingarm, the area shows that a label or sticker has been removed after paint. I dunno wtf to think, my dealer ignores my asking and so I’m asking you guys what you think. I know the Bagger mufflers are not
Compatible with other R18 versions so looking for some help, guidance, thoughts please. Zoom on pic to see how close heat shield is and the groove that was rubbed on tear drop frame. Whole thing is just bizarre to me, thanks a million guys keep two wheels down!

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpeg
    IMG_0116.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0117.jpeg
    IMG_0117.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9829.jpeg
    IMG_9829.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9830.jpeg
    IMG_9830.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
I can’t really make out from the pictures what I’m looking at (chrome & black reflecting) to see the problem, maybe a little loosening and tweaking should realign things. The sticker on the underside 🤷‍♂️. Slip on is just a turn of phrase. I’ve done it many times on all sorts of different bikes over the years, sometimes it’s easy sometimes it’s an awkward pig of a job. In fact I’ve learnt to walk away because you get so cross you end up mullering something in frustration. Thats why I choose not to meddle anymore and leave my bike stock.

When I removed my 22 R18 B OEM mufflers in order to install the Jekill & Hyde system, a rubber mallet was definitely used to get the OEM system off; probably, the same for installing the new J&H system (can't recall anything specific). If anything, the dealership should replace the damaged teardrop plug for you; just keep an eye on the heat-shield in order to make sure it doesn't come into contact with the frame and such.

I literally walked out and took a look at my swing arm; I have that same marking as you; perhaps, it's where it rest while it's being painted or clear coated. I know these these bikes look like jewelry when new; after a few thousand miles, you'll forget all about it - I think you're GOOD..

I’ve become used to the head shake at idle which is kinda cool actually, but what about at speed downshifting, 5th to 4th, 4th to 3rd, with clutch pulled in and it’s worse when around a turn experiencing the front end doing the head shake is fricking a bit nuts. Same as the shake
At idle at a light mine does it at speed with clutch pulled in kinda nutso, anyone else experience this at speed?

I put on the V&Hs slip ons. Major pain in the ass until I sprayed wd40 on the rubber exhaust hangers, then they slipped right on. It's the rubber hangers that are causing all them problem.

I put on the V&Hs slip ons. Major pain in the ass until I sprayed wd40 on the rubber exhaust hangers, then they slipped right on. It's the rubber hangers that are causing all them problem.
That what wore me out when putting on my freedom exhaust on one side. The other side I added a little W40 and it slid right off.

Back