UK - heads up on new legislation regarding new ICE vehicles

Rufus

Site Supporter
Hello all,

A couple of days ago I learnt about new legislation thats come in now (Jan 2024) regarding new vehicles in the UK. Cars, vans and yes motorcycles. There are two YouTube videos I would highly recommend and perhaps someone IT savvy would be kind enough to do a hyperlink because I know not how. MAG (motorcycle action group) did one video and Stuart Fillingham did another.

They gist is that from now until 2030 manufactures (in the UK market) HAVE to sell a minimum % of EV vehicles per annum and will be heavily fined if they do not meet the target. This year it’s 22% rising every in increments upto 80% in 5 years time.

if I remember correctly last year 2023 only 8% were EV so there’s a huge and eye-wateringly expensive uphill struggle coming.

Knowledge is power as they say and I would rather people be aware than not, hence the thread. Not sure how the rest of the world will be dealing with this EV business but I was in a main Honda dealer only yesterday and discussed this very thing. I was told Honda are well on with it and going over to EV motorbikes.

So, to summarize. If you have your eye on another new bike of whatever brand and the means to, get it now while you can. The warning (on the video) was that this was likely to kill off motorcycling as we have always known it in the UK because even if manufacturers continue to sell (ICE) motorcycles in other countries for a while longer they will not import them here because 1) they are not permitted to sell them and 2) the total % of ICE vehicles that they can sell shrinks every year like a puddle on hot tarmac. 🤷‍♂️

The local or global entity that controls the push for electric bullcrap will do as it pleases.
There will be little to no opposition at all from the once great and strong British population.
Same here in The States.

Back