Trickle Charger

Is it possible to use the socket on the left side of my FE to trickle charge the battery?

If yes, what is the plug / socket called - it looks like a 12v cigarette socket - but knowing BMW, it's probably something much more.

As an alternative, is it possible to trickle charge using the external terminals on the right side of the bike (under the side cover and under the head)?

Many thanks.

I bought an Optimate Can-Bus version which was fairly priced in the UK. Not sure where you are located.
Thanks for your reply

Yes! the Optimate is a clear choice for BMW's.

However, I have a unique situation, in that, I don't have access to power where I keep the bike - I live in an apartment block, with no individual power points in the carpark.

So I need a solution that uses a rechargeable power "source". I've found one that will trickle charge from a rechargeable battery - now all I need is to find the best way to connect it to the bike (safely).

The search continues.........

what about something like this as power source and then you can use any trickle charger you want? https://www.xtorm.nl/products/power-station-portable-500-watts-192000-mah-xtreme-power-black-orange
what about something like this as power source and then you can use any trickle charger you want? https://www.xtorm.nl/products/power-station-portable-500-watts-192000-mah-xtreme-power-black-orange
Wow - That looks great - I'll look into it further - thank you.

This is what I found - a little more "modest" that what you found - https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-chargers-12v-24v/cs-free

Thanks again.

Question .. why do you NEED a trickle charger ... mine is never plugged in .. but she is my daily transportation .. so no need ... you don't have your car on a trickle charger ... or do you ride her seldom?

Just curious ...:unsure:

Question .. why do you NEED a trickle charger ... mine is never plugged in .. but she is my daily transportation .. so no need ... you don't have your car on a trickle charger ... or do you ride her seldom?

Just curious ...:unsure:
try leaving it a couple of weeks... the battery drains very quickly for some reason..

try leaving it a couple of weeks... the battery drains very quickly for some reason..
That's been my experience also.

It a "weekend princess" and while it's never failed completely, if I ride it on a Saturday and then not until the following Sunday (a week and a day), I notice that it sounds hesitant.

I've had the battery checked by the dealer (I've only had the bike 3 months from new) - they report the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) are ok.

I guess it's just a "feature" of the bike that it drains pretty quickly - or at least it sounds that way to my ear.

Thus, I'm trying to come up with a workable solution to avoid the situation where it won't start, 2 floors underground in a secure carpark - that'd be a major pain in the (you know what).

Thanks all for you input - I'll continue the quest.

Apologies for dredging up this thread - - but I think I'm getting close to a solution.

I've found a charger that'll do what I want - all I need now is to find a way to connect it to the R18FE.

The charger manufacturer doesn't make a Hella plug output connector.

BUT, I can get an output connector from the manufacturer to a standard Cigarette lighter PLUG- I have found a CIG lighter socket to a "Merit Plug" connector.

Can someone confirm if a "Merit" plug and a "Hella" plug are the same thing.

Or to put it another way - Will a "Merit" plug work to trickle charge the R18, using the socket on the left side of the R18

Thanks in advance

Back