Trade in Value

Nobody knows what they are going for privately, that's pure speculation.
I guess we're getting semantic. I said they're listed for $16K. Some are listed for $18K. I can tell you I've had 3 people offer me $17K for mine so I'm not speculating. I guess you can add variances regarding regional differences and that mine has aftermarket lights. Listings are $16-18K and I'm getting offers for $17K.

There isn't a single part on the BMW that's affordable. The fuel tank on an R18 Option 719 (galaxy dust) is $5,000. The exhaust pipes are $2500 per side. there are very few hard parts that are under $1,000 each. There are Japanese cruisers that are more affordable to operate and can be picked up for less than a new and used BMW. I guess my assumption is we should all know what we're getting ourselves into when buying something stamped in Germany. Berlin doesn't offer anything discounted and that doesn't always directly correlate with quality...most people argue the Japanese do that better. I ride with dirt bike riders who haven't changed their Honda 650 oil in a decade and never have a problem. I would never try that on a BMW or KTM.

Pete, you said what I wanted to say, but I didn't want to come across as too much of an a**hole. You managed to make it sound MUCH nicer in totality than I would have! :ROFLMAO:

People whining about dealer wholesale trade in prices should be reserved for millennials and gen-z.

....I just sounded like an a**hole, didn't I???

Mike
Agreed. (the part in red) ... resale never once crossed my mind ... I wanted a good bike, not a Harley ... already got one of them ... and I think I have a keeper ;)

I'm going to report my own post but could we keep demographics out of this? Millennials are in their 40s now and make up a large portion of the tax base funding social security and medicare. Maybe it's time to lay off the middle-age people for being whiney and entitled?

There are whiney and entitled people of all ages. It's not some magical birth year that sets the precedent of wanting a trophy for everything you do. I don't think of what generation you're in when I think of what kind of person you are. I also don't believe in astrology signs so I guess I'm the weirdo.

There are Millennials and Gen-Z people on this forum and there are people of all ages who care about depreciation of their assets. This is not a generational trait.

I guess we're getting semantic. I said they're listed for $16K. Some are listed for $18K. I can tell you I've had 3 people offer me $17K for mine so I'm not speculating. I guess you can add variances regarding regional differences and that mine has aftermarket lights. Listings are $16-18K and I'm getting offers for $17K.

There isn't a single part on the BMW that's affordable. The fuel tank on an R18 Option 719 (galaxy dust) is $5,000. The exhaust pipes are $2500 per side. there are very few hard parts that are under $1,000 each. There are Japanese cruisers that are more affordable to operate and can be picked up for less than a new and used BMW. I guess my assumption is we should all know what we're getting ourselves into when buying something stamped in Germany. Berlin doesn't offer anything discounted and that doesn't always directly correlate with quality...most people argue the Japanese do that better. I ride with dirt bike riders who haven't changed their Honda 650 oil in a decade and never have a problem. I would never try that on a BMW or KTM.
And that, right there, my friend... is the constant reminder that even though I can buy a R 18 B outright and pay cash for it... the grim facts are that one little Oopsie, and this is one helluva expensive toy that needs fixing. Being careful with my spending habits got me to where I am today, comfortably retired. The price of BMW parts, I don't know, it just rubs me the wrong way, it's worse than my boat or the plane I had before. And let me tell you, aviation parts for planes are expensive! Thank you for bringing the price of BMW motorcycle parts to my attention... it's knocked some common sense into my dreaming about a R 18 B in my garage.

Nobody knows what they are going for privately, that's pure speculation. Another gent here visited a dealership for trade in on his 1200 mile Manhattan Metallic R 18 B and was offered $12000 for it, I believe last week. Used Manhattan and Black R 18s are common for sale, everywhere. With 0 or .9% interest rates and a full 3 year warranty, and the way the Adaptive headlights, at $3100 a pop, locally, before 9.5% sales tax, are failing.... someone, if they eat a headlight out of warranty, is never going to fix the damn thing. BMW warranty, according to some here, isn't worth the p aper it's written on. I speak from experience dealing with warranty issues on German car companies, regardless the brand.... getting them to do warranty work is a full 4 wisdom tooth extraction problem... very painful and very slow to resolve, at least here in the USA.... all the parts are inventoried in the Motherland and take forever to get here.

Honestly, the price of that replacement headlight, the way BMW Motorrad USA is handling it, 75 or so on backorder, customers not being taken care of until 4 weeks out in September for installation, and that's AFTER waiting for the part to come in from backorder, for who knows how long.... It's really making me think twice, do I really want to even get a R 18 B and go through the major inconvenience and hassle, and risk of failure on a very expensive headlight on a bike that for me is only a Want, not really a need, since the Sport Glide is doing just fine. I can afford the new bike, I can afford the payments, and I can afford the depreciation... but down time from my bike when I'm retired and I don't know how much longer I can go riding, is a big number in the negative equity side in a T account of reasons NOT to buy an R 18. It's like buying a potential headache. Even worse if you don't have much warranty left on a used R 18 and it has failed once already. Nobody is convinced that BMW or the light manufacturer has redesigned and solved the problem
You can just get one without the adaptive headlight ;-)

A post just to make people feel better.... I bought a new BMW e92 335i in 2008 for $128k ... and in 2016.... with 55,000km on the clock I got offered $15k as a trade in... australian dollars off course.... if that matters...

I picked up my Mustang Cross Country seat from Max BMW last Thursday. They’ve got a 2024 Rocktane on the floor! So now we basically have 2021 thru 2024 new, lightly used, leftover and demo bikes all competing against each other. This puts huge downward pressure on dealer pricing, across the board. Which in turn, pushes trade in and private resale prices downward as well. All you can do is buy as well as you can and hold onto your bike. 5 years from now my 100 years bike might not be worth much, but I don’t mind - I’m looking at its value 20 years from now…..
Yep. Same over here, UK. Expensive niche motorbikes are very much a luxury item and it’s no wonder the market is struggling to shift them on, I don’t think it’s brand specific either. Over the last 10 years or so three big Harley dealerships have closed, three Honda dealers, a number of independents too. All within say 30 miles of me. It’s brutal.

Nobody knows what they are going for privately, that's pure speculation. Another gent here visited a dealership for trade in on his 1200 mile Manhattan Metallic R 18 B and was offered $12000 for it, I believe last week. Used Manhattan and Black R 18s are common for sale, everywhere. With 0 or .9% interest rates and a full 3 year warranty, and the way the Adaptive headlights, at $3100 a pop, locally, before 9.5% sales tax, are failing.... someone, if they eat a headlight out of warranty, is never going to fix the damn thing. BMW warranty, according to some here, isn't worth the p aper it's written on. I speak from experience dealing with warranty issues on German car companies, regardless the brand.... getting them to do warranty work is a full 4 wisdom tooth extraction problem... very painful and very slow to resolve, at least here in the USA.... all the parts are inventoried in the Motherland and take forever to get here.

Honestly, the price of that replacement headlight, the way BMW Motorrad USA is handling it, 75 or so on backorder, customers not being taken care of until 4 weeks out in September for installation, and that's AFTER waiting for the part to come in from backorder, for who knows how long.... It's really making me think twice, do I really want to even get a R 18 B and go through the major inconvenience and hassle, and risk of failure on a very expensive headlight on a bike that for me is only a Want, not really a need, since the Sport Glide is doing just fine. I can afford the new bike, I can afford the payments, and I can afford the depreciation... but down time from my bike when I'm retired and I don't know how much longer I can go riding, is a big number in the negative equity side in a T account of reasons NOT to buy an R 18. It's like buying a potential headache. Even worse if you don't have much warranty left on a used R 18 and it has failed once already. Nobody is convinced that BMW or the light manufacturer has redesigned and solved the problem
I understand your frustration.

I'm pretty much over my R18B. It's riddled with technical glitches along with the Headlight drama I just went through. BTW I haven't been able to test it because I've been busy but something is off with the "new" headlight, just haven't gotten around to looking at it thoroughly yet.

Just the other day I tried starting her up and the starter was turning but she would not roll over... no warning lights no nothing. So she's just sitting there until I have sometime.

With that said I haven't totally written BMW off yet. I put a significant amount of worry free miles on my k1600 that I traded in for the R18B (Buyers remorse, wish I kept her) and other BMWs.

Call me a glutton for punishment but if I were to replace this bike without getting murdered on resale, I'd consider another k1600 🤷‍♂️

I'm beginning to wonder if BMW is now using Lucas, Prince of Darkness lighting and electrical harness brands. Or if you got a tech that doesn't know what he's doing with electrical. A potential pin out problem?

Rather surprised the techs don't test and QC their own work, before releasing the bike back to the customer.

As a business owner and General Contractor, I could never stay in business if I put out shoddy work for my customers. The State Contractors License Board would yank my business license in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

It's no better in the UK mate bmw want to give you pennies and no other franchise will take it in a trade in looks like we will need to keep them long time and hope nothing big goes wrong 😀

It's no better in the UK mate bmw want to give you pennies and no other franchise will take it in a trade in looks like we will need to keep them long time and hope nothing big goes wrong 😀
It's other things, too. For example, Showa, who make forks for everyone, uses 43mm and 49mm diameter fork seals. I bought a complete set to rebuild the fork on my Sport Glide for $37, US. BMW uses 47mm forks and fork seals. The dealership wants $130 US for a fork seal kit on a BMW.

I think BMW is selling these at a loss, and then pricing spare parts with Rolls Royce price tags for every single part, to get their money back that they didn't make on the front side, just to keep the bike running.... Someone in the Mechanical side just had to replace a fork seal after 20,000 miles on his 2021 Classic model. That's in only having the bike 2 years. A link > https://www.r18forums.com/threads/fork-oil.420/#post-34277

Last edited:
It's other things, too. For example, Showa, who make forks for everyone, uses 43mm and 49mm diameter fork seals. I bought a complete set to rebuild the fork on my Sport Glide for $37, US. BMW uses 47mm forks and fork seals. The dealership wants $130 US for a fork seal kit on a BMW.

I think BMW is selling these at a loss, and then pricing spare parts with Rolls Royce price tags for every single part, to get their money back that they didn't make on the front side, just to keep the bike running.... Someone in the Mechanical side just had to replace a fork seal after 20,000 miles on his 2021 Classic model. That's in only having the bike 2 years. A link > https://www.r18forums.com/threads/fork-oil.420/#post-34277
You may be on to something- the price of the bikes new, especially with incentives, is the best deal going in heavyweight crusiers. You get higher quality components and engineering than anything out there for less than a similar Harley or Indian. But the parts costs are quite high. My bike was hit while parked and the cost to replace the bits that were scuffed or damaged was just shy of $10k, about double what it would have cost to repair a Harley.

Regarding resale. All valid points, and it does sting. But. The thing is probably every one of us here bought the R18 precisely because it was a bit different, a bit odd, eccentric even. We could have all gone out and bought say….a Yamaha Tracer. No doubt a bloody good bike for half the price with decent resale, being practical, reliable, plenty fast enough, comfortable but we didn’t want that did we? There’s that expression about suffering for your art or something like that and unfortunately we’ve all bought into that either by mistake or half expecting it. I’m in the latter. It’s been said already in the comments, if we keep them we lose nothing.

It’s a shame BMW North America are having such problems with backordered parts, must be very frustrating. My wife works in logistics for big brand automotive parts right across the UK/Europe/China and there’s still massive supply problems right across the sector. She doesn’t actually deal with BMW but I expect they are in the same position.

Back