Tires

rocker

Have about 6,000miles on my TC in April. Will need new tires in about 1000 miles.
What is everyone having good luck with? Recommendations appreciated.

I put a new set of Bridgestone Battlecruise H50's on my TC when i was approaching 12k. The new ones feel much better than the originals did, perhaps they are just fresh and haven't spent months or more on the side stand. I run with 42 lbs front and 46 lbs rear.

I’ve got the Bridgestone H50‘s on mine as OE and have no issues, so will replace like with like. They last as long as they last.

Well Rufus, in my 45 years riding…..I consider 5k from a front tyre is very poor! Each to their own🤔
It’s not great no but riders can get little more than 2k from a really sticky rear (on a sports bike) so it’s all relative. These are heavy long bikes so will be hard on tyres especially the front that does the lions share of braking. The tyre seems to work well so I’d rather stick with OE and if necessary sacrifice some mileage. You want to try another brand that’s fine, it’s like an oil thread. There is no right answer.

It’s not great no but riders can get little more than 2k from a really sticky rear (on a sports bike) so it’s all relative. These are heavy long bikes so will be hard on tyres especially the front that does the lions share of braking. The tyre seems to work well so I’d rather stick with OE and if necessary sacrifice some mileage. You want to try another brand that’s fine, it’s like an oil thread. There is no right answer.
The Bridgestone H50 and the Michelin Commander 3 are OEM. The specific unit got whichever tire they had available at build.

I have a sport bike & typically get 3-4K miles out of the rear with Michelins. My full knobby Michelin Anakee Wild on my GS get 4-5K miles out of the rear & double that on the front.

Cruiser tires should last much longer than sport bike or knobby tires. While the R18 is my first cruiser, I’ve often heard of 15-20K miles out of tires on cruisers. I have the Bridgestone on my Classic & it’s looking like they will be toast in the front around 6K miles, which is worse than both my sport bike or knobbies on my adventure bike for fronts. I’ll switch to the Michelin Commander 3 as I’ve had great experience with them on longevity and handling.

Reactions: Alf
Interesting. Guess as time passes and owners clock up miles we’ll get a feel for what to expect from each brand. I never thought to actually measure it but I dont think the front tread depth on the H50 can be great from new tbh because I’ve got say 600 miles on mine and last week it was measured at first service to be 3.9mm. The rear had 6.8mm or something like that, almost double 🤷‍♂️

I got 10,000 miles out of the original front tire. I replaced it with the same. Got 9,000 miles out of it. By then at 19,000 miles, the rear is bald, so I replaced both with Dunlap American Elite White walls.
Front had 5/32" of tread, rear had 10/32 of tread new.

Pic to follow.

The American Elite is for a Harley, heavy weight. It has about an inch LESS tread on the side. I have almost no chicken strips.

Rear pads are getting thin. 22,000 miles.

Mod if you can delete one pic, I cant.
20230528_093136.jpg20230528_093136.jpg

Last edited:
Have about 6,000miles on my TC in April. Will need new tires in about 1000 miles.
What is everyone having good luck with? Recommendations appreciated.
Had 16" Michelin Commanders III on my 2021 Classic FE...Just replaced them at 8k with Metzler 888s. Had a slight wobble on the front since 6k which got tremendously bad after 7k...Took this oppty to upgrade to 19/16 inch RSD Chrome Wheels. It looks and rides magnificently now.

Back