The 2022 Transcontinental has arrived!

I’m thinking BMW spent a bunch of money and time engineering the R18. To slap a mondo fairing and bags on it and make it a Street Glide clone seems like an efficient use of the platform. Need to get back all that development money somehow. And Harley did push out the Pan America first, to compete on the ADV side.

I remember when the K bikes arrived. Many airhead owners burned their bikes in disgust (just kidding but they were really pissed). Not sure some ever forgave BMW for changing their perfect bike.

They did a fine job. If I were in the market for a full dresser bike, it'd be on the list. But you sure do get to $30k fast on the build site. Maybe something to consider when I'm older and, presumably, more wisened.

I really don't like the highway footpeg position on top of the cylinders. I don't see that as being a safe position in that, unlike a Harley you can't just pull your legs down you have to get under those big jugs.

Unless they do something about the suspension and 6th gear for highway cruising it's not going to compete with the Touring Harleys. My Streetglide Special was super smooth on the highway at 75+ unlike the buzzy R18. Suspension on the Harley needed work for two up riding, And the R18 suspension definitely needs some work....

Also the foot position is still the only place you can place the shifter and pegs, only so-so for long distance cruising....

They are going to have to come in under the Harley price to be competitive but even then I don't know if it will be. Sorry to say R18 says are poor in my area as it is....

I will say I do like the look of the dressers!

We all have our views. I find forward controls or Highway pegs uncomfortable.
I did 1100 miles the first five days I had the bike. One day was 450 miles. No problems.

I don' think its buzzy at 85. To me its right in its sweet spot. Like a cat ready to pounce.

Trading my first edition classic or what ever it is for the transcontinental when its available.

Then I can sell my gold wing!
My R18 turned to 6666 miles today.
David

We all have our views. I find forward controls or Highway pegs uncomfortable.
I did 1100 miles the first five days I had the bike. One day was 450 miles. No problems.

I don' think its buzzy at 85. To me its right in its sweet spot. Like a cat ready to pounce.

Trading my first edition classic or what ever it is for the transcontinental when its available.

Then I can sell my gold wing!
My R18 turned to 6666 miles today.
David
Woah. Going right at it!

I really don't like the highway footpeg position on top of the cylinders. I don't see that as being a safe position in that, unlike a Harley you can't just pull your legs down you have to get under those big jugs.

Unless they do something about the suspension and 6th gear for highway cruising it's not going to compete with the Touring Harleys. My Streetglide Special was super smooth on the highway at 75+ unlike the buzzy R18. Suspension on the Harley needed work for two up riding, And the R18 suspension definitely needs some work....

Also the foot position is still the only place you can place the shifter and pegs, only so-so for long distance cruising....

They are going to have to come in under the Harley price to be competitive but even then I don't know if it will be. Sorry to say R18 says are poor in my area as it is....

I will say I do like the look of the dressers!
Details, details, I like the look of the GT40 but it would not be my choice for a drive across Texas.

It would be a fun bike to tour with. I really wanted a retro bike and I use a GS for touring. Now in a very weird world, my GS has 100,000 miles on the clock and soon I will be riding a Harley ADV bike and a BMW cruiser :)

Back