Testing the waters...

Hey all.

I am on the on the fence for buying an R18. I have a '21 RnineT Scrambler and an '85 R80RT (as a rebuild project) at the moment. Previously had an '08 R1200GS.

A couple months ago, I took an R18 out on a short test ride and that thing has lived in my head rent free every day since then. I am flying to LA in January and renting an R18 Classic for a week to see how it feels over some real time. Thought I would poke around and see what other owners are saying.

This happened to me too, took one for a ride after looking at all the advanced publicity over more than a year. Two weeks after the ride I couldn't shake it. That coincided with BMW marketing shift in New Zealand a a priced reduction on my model from NZ$48,0000 to $36,000 and I was sold. No regerts!

When I first saw the R18 I incorrectly assumed no more models of the big boxer were coming. So I went out and bought an HD RoadGlide for $30k. A month later I laid eyes on the R18B and TC and was immediately thinking divorce.....from the HD I mean.
Then it occurred to me that polygamy was okay with respect to bikes. On top of that the original TC priced at $30K was discounted to $24k. I bought it and have been ogling it like a bikini chic ever since.
Ditto what aicpjim saiid....Buy one.

... best fat cruiser I ever rode ... I usually like my bikes way more lean ... but that R18 is a blast and you can't get me off it!!! ... and a whole lot friendlier priced than an HD cruiser ... and (hopefully) way more reliable ;)
Just my 2¢ ...

Hey all.

I am on the on the fence for buying an R18. I have a '21 RnineT Scrambler and an '85 R80RT (as a rebuild project) at the moment. Previously had an '08 R1200GS.

A couple months ago, I took an R18 out on a short test ride and that thing has lived in my head rent free every day since then. I am flying to LA in January and renting an R18 Classic for a week to see how it feels over some real time. Thought I would poke around and see what other owners are saying.
I am in San Diego/ Tijuana. Let me know if you want to ride. Either side of the border.

I have a 2020 Pure and the bike is vastly different from the R nine T but in a good way. It's a bit more relaxed riding position, much more torque, street presence with a less sporty ride and lower cornering clearance. Tried taking some corners at normal my normal speeds and quickly ground the floorboards on my 22 Classic. Love it so far.

I am in San Diego/ Tijuana. Let me know if you want to ride. Either side of the border.
I lived in Lemon Grove in the mid '90s and still go there for my old neighborhood taco shop when I am in town.

Let's see how the weather turns out. Current plan is to head north up PCH, but if there's too much rain in the works, then south and east may be the alternate.

Back