TC rack on R18B

Is that the GIVI rack or BMW OEM rack hardware? Are you planning on adding a rear top-case, or using the cutting board as an appropriate platform for strapping down additional items?

Maybe find a TC owner who is willing to part with their rear-top case... A. Chandler converted his B to a pseudo TC by adding a TC rear-top case; your B is too good looking to add an Adventure utility looking top-case.

I had a TC owner park his bike next to my model B yesterday, while having lunch with my wife & son at a side road burger joint (NY/NJ border); this was the first random R 18 owner, I've run into since owning my R 18 B. Anyway, we started talking and comparing bikes; he mentioned that he wanted to remove his rear top-case.. - there you go..

Is that the GIVI rack or BMW OEM rack hardware? Are you planning on adding a rear top-case, or using the cutting board as an appropriate platform for strapping down additional items?
I bought the rack used ($134 shipped from UK), a $15 cutting board and $40 altrider givi hardware. I prefer the no topcase look but this is my "car" and I have a few regular needs for more storage. The case comes off quickly and the rack alone still looks baggerlike. Super strong and I am pleased with the project.

Maybe find a TC owner who is willing to part with their rear-top case... A. Chandler converted his B to a pseudo TC by adding a TC rear-top case; your B is too good looking to add an Adventure utility looking top-case.

I had a TC owner park his bike next to my model B yesterday, while having lunch with my wife & son at a side road burger joint (NY/NJ border); this was the first random R 18 owner, I've run into since owning my R 18 B. Anyway, we started talking and comparing bikes; he mentioned that he wanted to remove his rear top-case.. - there you go..
Good idea, I am familiar with what AC did, I dislike the oem case (size, looks). This is for practicality more than looks and wont usually be on the bike. This removes without tools in a second vs unbolting. I may get a stickerless black one someday though. Until then this is commuter R18B that needs practical storage.

Part of my struggle in choosing bikes is storage due to how I use it. I put off doing a top case with a lockable duffel but its taking too much time and there are some items I cant fit (flowers for my wife to name one that really matters).

It will have a duffel on the empty rack for roadtrips.

Thank you for posting these pictures. I was wondering what the TC rack would look like sans top case. Well, I can see now it's really built for the top case (of course).

Too bad BMW don't make a luggage rack for the bagger w/o top case. I'm looking for one, but there aren't many options. The Wunderlich one is an odd design which doesn't seem practical - and only rated for 3 kg! The BMW rack for the TC looks more sturdy, but unfortunately it requires the bmw top case (unless modded like above).

Thank you for posting these pictures. I was wondering what the TC rack would look like sans top case. Well, I can see now it's really built for the top case (of course).

Too bad BMW don't make a luggage rack for the bagger w/o top case. I'm looking for one, but there aren't many options. The Wunderlich one is an odd design which doesn't seem practical - and only rated for 3 kg! The BMW rack for the TC looks more sturdy, but unfortunately it requires the bmw top case (unless modded like above).
Someone will offer a nice top plate that bolts up to the tc rack.

I hope so! That would be nice. I might go for the tc rack if that happens.
Even better would be a rack that looks like the tc rack, but without the accommodation for the top case. While a top plate would be functional, a "clean" rack would look better I think.

I hope so! That would be nice. I might go for the tc rack if that happens.
Even better would be a rack that looks like the tc rack, but without the accommodation for the top case. While a top plate would be functional, a "clean" rack would look better I think.
Home Depot and a little imagination will give you a top plate.
I got my TC rack from BMW Europe website much cheaper than US ($155+$30 ship to Texas vs. $377+Ship and Tax) Link to BMW Europe.
Picture of my Bagger with TC rack and $90 top case.

Attachments

• 20221207_160338.jpg
    20221207_160338.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 32
Thanks for the tip and link.

Do I understand correctly that the TC rack consists of two parts - the rack itself and a plate for the top case?

BMW Europe at the link seem to sell only the rack without the plate, but @fastring seems to have the plate too. Is the plate a separate purchase?

Thanks for the tip and link.

Do I understand correctly that the TC rack consists of two parts - the rack itself and a plate for the top case?

BMW Europe at the link seem to sell only the rack without the plate, but @fastring seems to have the plate too. Is the plate a separate purchase?
@fastring plate and mounting kit are from the commercial cutting board and Givi monkey mounting kit (see his second image post)
The OEM plate is from the top case kit link to kit
Link to US rack to reference and don't forget the new screws, i don't remember the size, but got my 1/2" longer from the original screw at the ACE hardware store $25 for 4 screws.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, I get it now. I'm undecisive. Perhaps I'll go for just a rack and a bag and skipping the top case, since I don't need the extra capacity that often. If so I'm tempted to buy the TC rack and ask a welder if he can add inner bars to it. Am I the only one looking for just a plain rack (without plate & mounting kit) for the R18B?

I cut and added a couple of aluminum flat bar from Home Depot to the rack to support the top case or strap down items when I am not using the top case.
Link to Roadstyle pipe rack, I think that's what you are looking for.

Edit - The pipe rack will need to mount to passenger backrest and remove the pad if not needed.

Last edited:
Yes I could screw on some bars myself. But since I'm gonna ride a lot without a bag, I'm worried that my own mod wouldn't look too good.
The roadstyler rack looks ok but I don't like how it attaches to the back rest.

Now I need to apologize to @fastring for hijacking the thread. Your pictures gave me some ideas to think about. (y)

Back