Software updates

Just FYI, I went today for my annual service on my 2022 R18 TC and the tech informed me that every module had a software update. Each module takes a couple hours so I am scheduling an appointment on another day to leave it with them as he said it may take 8 - 12 hours for all the updates.
So, if you haven't had you system checked in a year, had mine last checked on April 15th, 2023, you may want to look into that.
I live in America, don't know if it's different in other countries.

Just FYI, I went today for my annual service on my 2022 R18 TC and the tech informed me that every module had a software update. Each module takes a couple hours so I am scheduling an appointment on another day to leave it with them as he said it may take 8 - 12 hours for all the updates.
So, if you haven't had you system checked in a year, had mine last checked on April 15th, 2023, you may want to look into that.
I live in America, don't know if it's different in other countries.
Thank you for the heads up. My bike is due for a service in June and I did not book time if work as I can take my laptop and work from the shop whilst the mechanics do the work but if it’s going to take that long I may as well ask the missus to follow me to the garage. It is only 20mls away from where I live thank goodness.

8 - 12 hours for a software update... Does your service shop still have an AOL dial-up Internet connection..?

I hope that's under warranty... I'm not paying $160/hr. for my bike to sit in a corner while connected to a computer..
I call BS on these software updates. I think whatever they are simple electronic checks being used to promote bringing your bike into the dealership and pay the exorbitant maintenance charges.

that guy is full of shit!
my bike was 5 hours away and will not be going in for any service by the dealer at any time except for warranty issues.
i have had other new bikes and it looks like the service chart is on par with others i have had.
first service i will do as all the rest for the life of the bike unless i get something from bmw saying i need to update the software.
if it makes you feel all warm and cozy to let the dealer maintain your bike then by all means go for it.

8 - 12 hours for a software update... Does your service shop still have an AOL dial-up Internet connection..?

I hope that's under warranty... I'm not paying $160/hr. for my bike to sit in a corner while connected to a computer..
It's not a warranty service. They don't charge for software updates, they check for updates when you take the bike in for service. Download speed has impact on how fast it takes, the downloading of the update is quick, it's the installation of the update and the number of updates from my understanding.

J'appelle BS sur ces mises à jour logicielles. Je pense qu'il s'agit de simples contrôles électroniques utilisés pour promouvoir l'introduction de votre vélo chez le concessionnaire et payer les frais

Ce n'est pas un service de garantie. Ils ne facturent pas les mises à jour logicielles, ils vérifient les mises à jour lorsque vous faites réparer le vélo. La vitesse de téléchargement a un impact sur la rapidité avec laquelle cela prend, le téléchargement de la mise à jour est rapide, c'est l'installation de la mise à jour et le nombre de mises à jour d'après ma compréhension.
C’est exact , et d'ailleurs mon écran et l’appli fonctionnent correctement maintenant, plus de bug .

that guy is full of shit!
my bike was 5 hours away and will not be going in for any service by the dealer at any time except for warranty issues.
i have had other new bikes and it looks like the service chart is on par with others i have had.
first service i will do as all the rest for the life of the bike unless i get something from bmw saying i need to update the software.
if it makes you feel all warm and cozy to let the dealer maintain your bike then by all means go for it.
If it makes you feel all warm and cozy to do maintenance yourself then by all means go for it.
Me personally, I am confident in knowing that if a warranty issue arrives, I will have no issue supplying maintenance reports as all maintenance is performed at a certified BMW center. As stated in the warranty agreement, "lack of or improper maintenance will void your warranty."
My original post was for informational purposes for those that do service at dealers or those that like to keep their system up to date and working properly. It wasn't intended to be posted for arguments or opinions.
So, do your own service, congratulations, I prefer to have mine done differently, especially while under warranty.
Have a wonderful day and ride safe.

thanks!!
it sure does make me all warm and cozy and i have a sense of accomplishment and the ins and outs of my bike.
being here in new york you cant ride all year so fluids will get changed every year regardless of mileage.
i will blow that maintenance chart out of the water as far as that goes.
there is nothing wrong with doing the service with the dealer......no arguments here just a different way of doing things.
gonna hit my first service after another 75 miles,cant wait to do my first service!!

big thanks to scott semone i already have some good reliable knowledge on what to expect.

"As stated in the warranty agreement, "lack of or improper maintenance will void your warranty."
As a retired aircraft mechanic, I feel somewhat more qualified than dealer folks hired off the street to perform dealer service on my R18. No different than auto dealerships and quick oil change franchises. I keep the empty factory recommended BMW oil/filter containers/boxes marked with mileage and date of maintenance; with a printed cell phone photo of the mileage while I am under warrantee. I never wait for the recommended date of maintenance. I generally cut that in half...o.k. to call me anal ! Note: there is nothing "improper" about caring and doing the maintenance yourself.

As a retired aircraft mechanic, I feel somewhat more qualified than dealer folks hired off the street to perform dealer service on my R18. No different than auto dealerships and quick oil change franchises. I keep the empty factory recommended BMW oil/filter containers/boxes marked with mileage and date of maintenance; with a printed cell phone photo of the mileage while I am under warrantee. I never wait for the recommended date of maintenance. I generally cut that in half...o.k. to call me anal ! Note: there is nothing "improper" about caring and doing the maintenance yourself.
You are absolutely correct, nothing improper about doing your own maintenance. While you are well qualified, maybe even more qualified than most, I don't have to keep that documentation, videos, pictures, torque specs, etc., they have all that on file for me. Then when the warranty is out, I will do the recommended maintenance just as many others and as I have done for 35 years. But what none of us can do, is software updates, which is what this post was about. Just like your ipad or PC, software updates are passed down from BMW Motorrad to keep the bugs out of the complexed computer system in these bikes, not like the bikes I grew up riding. As always, ride safe and have a wonderful day.

Last edited:
exactly!!! its a labor of love and you get to see the oil condition,,,,the amount of metal buildup in your final gear drain magnet,,,, inspection of the under frame and components.
i am 55 years old been doing all my maintenance since the dirt bike days

bought this last year and was so impressed with the bike i bought the r18!!
been riding Japanese bikes all my life..best on the planet as far as reliability imo.

Attachments

• 20230831_125531.jpg
    20230831_125531.jpg
    757.2 KB · Views: 8
Software is not BS, everything is computerized now. Updates are often needed.

What I think we will see though, is states are really getting into the "right to repair" trend now - so hopefully we will start having the ability to do more on our own at some point - because needing to pay the dealership to do them is bunk when both of my automobiles get them Over The Air (OTA) and when they can't get them OTA they are covered under warranty unless they are purely feature driven.

I don't expect new features for free - but if you're fixing a bug in the ECU or whatever - that needs to be covered under warranty...

8 -12 hours for ANYONE to update firmware on an ODBII connection is simply unreasonable. Every time I've ever updated BMW firmware via ODBII...even a FULL MS43 firmware re-code on my old E46 didn't take more than a couple minutes, and that's the ENTIRE Bosch engine computer being updated!!!

Yes, the ODBII serial protocol isn't the fastest, but we aren't talking gigabytes of data either!

The dealership is trying to take you for a ride you don't want to get on...

Mike

Software is not BS, everything is computerized now. Updates are often needed.

What I think we will see though, is states are really getting into the "right to repair" trend now - so hopefully we will start having the ability to do more on our own at some point - because needing to pay the dealership to do them is bunk when both of my automobiles get them Over The Air (OTA) and when they can't get them OTA they are covered under warranty unless they are purely feature driven.

I don't expect new features for free - but if you're fixing a bug in the ECU or whatever - that needs to be covered under warranty...
yeah most of my buddies have tuners on their bikes and atv.
i will not use tuners,,,i will take the manufactures settings.
i think they know more than i do.

i get that you need to override the oem setting for pipes,air filters and all that stuff.
i keep my bikes all stock mechanically.

There are other threads on this forum regarding software updates. Dealerships are refusing to do them because the update locks up a stall for hours while no work is being done to the bike. Dealerships are also charging for the time it takes to complete and update.

https://www.r18forums.com/threads/r18-b-transcontinental-tft-firmware-update.521/

I love the my bagger, but between the ongoing headlight SNAFU and overall neglect for tech support (bike updates and the miserable Connected experience) this will be my first and last BMW.

@Strawdiggity73 can post you the software version that you have now and what it is after the update?

Back