Socket usb on dashboard?

Pierre

Hi, is there a way to replace din socket by a usb one on dash board.
I’ve used a din-usb adaptator but it tends to disconnect with vibration.
I need it to connect my phone for waze.

What is din socket utility on dash board?

Hi Pierre, if you're comfortable with wiring, there are some skilled people on this forum that can probably give you some recommendations.

I've personally been using an adapter and it's been working flawlessly, not vibrating out. I got it off Amazon, it's made of aluminum and has a usb-c and usb-a plug and a little digital screen with the voltage which is nice. adds a voltmeter to your dash and plugs that are useful. I use it to power a Garmin. I think the din socket is probably intended to power heated gear.

r18_garmin.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Pierre, if you're comfortable with wiring, there are some skilled people on this forum that can probably give you some recommendations.

I've personally been using an adapter and it's been working flawlessly, not vibrating out. I got it off Amazon, it's made of aluminum and has a usb-c and usb-a plug and a little digital screen with the voltage which is nice. adds a voltmeter to your dash and plugs that are useful. I use it to power a Garmin. I think the din socket is probably intended to power heated gear.

View attachment 12791
hi Jaygee, do you have link to amazon for your adapter?

I got an Optimate O-105 and it has two USB-A plugs, one facing down, one in front. Both connectors have individual waterproof covers. It's a bit more $ (on Amazon and elsewhere) but I like the way it fits. I might look at the Wunderlich option since that looks even cleaner.

1704947966224.png

Pierre - One suggestion that you can perhaps consider; download the TFT screen protector or Mini Directionals accessories installation document from the BMW Motorrad site, this will provide the instructions in order to dissemble the dash if you want to try replacing the 12V DIN socket with a USB.

See if you can find a 12V USB socket which can accommodate a 16 mm hole; this will fit within the dash without having to drill out the existing hole. The wiring should be pretty straightforward, you'll have a Positive 12V lead and a Negative Ground connection.

Screenshot_20240111-042712.png

There’s this, which, from what I understand, is a pretty easy replacement to the stock din socket. Ran across it from a guy on the bagger page on Facebook.

https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/Wunderlich_BMW_Moto_USB_Dual_Socket_Black
Well, I found an identical item on Amazon for $30, so figured I'll try it. However, it is too short to fit in the dash socket and threads don't make it to the back of the panel. If you cut some of the rubber guard, it may go deep enough for the nut to catch in the back. Also, it is quite bulky - it will stick out about 1 5/8" from the base of the panel. I figured it's better using a DIN to USB adapter since they are portable and most likely will charge faster.

Attachments

• 20240119_150200.jpg
    20240119_150200.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240119_150154.jpg
    20240119_150154.jpg
    596.3 KB · Views: 5
Well, I found an identical item on Amazon for $30, so figured I'll try it. However, it is too short to fit in the dash socket and threads don't make it to the back of the panel. If you cut some of the rubber guard, it may go deep enough for the nut to catch in the back. Also, it is quite bulky - it will stick out about 1 5/8" from the base of the panel. I figured it's better using a DIN to USB adapter since they are portable and most likely will charge faster.
Bummer that didn’t fit! I think I’m sticking with the DIN adapters. I’ve already got one and it’s worked fine on my other bike (though I did have one fall off!). Would be cool to have additional built in usb ports on the bike tho.

Maybe search Marine or RV 12V USB charger; it will however, require you to enlarge the existing hole in order to flush mount it.

Keep in mind, you have been trying to find something that would fit into the existing 16mm hole, in order to avoid drilling out the dash.

Maybe bite the bullet and go with Plan B?

Maybe search Marine or RV 12V USB charger; it will however, require you to enlarge the existing hole in order to flush mount it.

Keep in mind, you have been trying to find something that would fit into the existing 16mm hole, in order to avoid drilling out the dash.

Maybe bite the bullet and go with Plan B?
Scott, the panel is not all flat where the DIN socket is, so I'd be hesitant to drill a larger hole since the adapter may not sit flat on it. I think this was an interesting experiment, but it didn't produce a "cleaner" solution, so I'll stick with the Optimate O-105 DIN/USB adapter.

the main issue with amazon or wunderlich sockets is they seem bigger than the onboard din.
A single USB socket fitting exactly the din socket would be nice.

Scott, the panel is not all flat where the DIN socket is, so I'd be hesitant to drill a larger hole since the adapter may not sit flat on it. I think this was an interesting experiment, but it didn't produce a "cleaner" solution, so I'll stick with the Optimate O-105 DIN/USB adapter.
Yeah.... I went out to take a look at my bike's dashboard (18° F); the recessed area is just about 27 to 28 mm, I wouldn't drill it out for what you're trying to do.

Remind us, what are you actually trying to do..? I know USB power, but what are you looking to power...?

I've currently connected an SP Connect wireless charger and Innovv K6 dash cam to the USB charger. I'm thinking about wiring a 12V-to-USB dongle and mounting it at the base of the handlebars, hidden from view. No rush tho, thinks work fine for now.

I found this gem on Amazon for $35. I connected it in series with the DIN socket on the dashboard, routed the wire between the left speaker and the fairing, and mounted it to the bottom of the left side of the handlebar. I made a couple of spacers out of 1/8" hard plastic and it pretty solid. Now the USB ports work whenever the bike is on, and won't take the DIN socket. The wire harness is pretty long and the connectors seem of good quality. The ports also light up in a light blue color when they're powered.

Attachments

• usb1.jpg
    usb1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • usb2.jpg
    usb2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • usb4.jpg
    usb4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Back