slow speed maneuvering - rock or roll better?

VARG

Premium Member
Site Supporter
Elite Member
I am finding slow speed maneuvering with the Transcontinental, to be more confident with rock mode than with roll. My experience seemed to imply that the more predictable, tighter throttle response made feathering surer and more confident. For example, pulling the big bike out of a slow, pause, turn, lean, and accelerate out seemed much smoother and safer for me in rock mode. Wondering if there are general feelings on this, or could just be my preference? Note, these observations apply more to parking lot scenarios than slow traffic slogging.

I am finding slow speed maneuvering with the Transcontinental, to be more confident with rock mode than with roll. My experience seemed to imply that the more predictable, tighter throttle response made feathering surer and more confident. For example, pulling the big bike out of a slow, pause, turn, lean, and accelerate out seemed much smoother and safer for me in rock mode. Wondering if there are general feelings on this, or could just be my preference? Note, these observations apply more to parking lot scenarios than slow traffic slogging.
I’ve got a r18 and feel the same way.

*Clutch feathering*
Exactly, throttle control while feathering the clutch in concert with various direction changing maneuvers. i feel rock mode provides a more predictable degree and rate of power applied, making the feathering much more natural, effective, and timely.

I've found "Rock" mode is best for slow speed maneuvering. The tighter the throttle response the more control I have using the clutch slip.

Thanks very much for the responses, i asked as this was one reason I had for it to become a conscious decision to ride in rock most all the time. My '21FE has about 4500 miles on it now, first thousand i rode in roll to ensure i was really acquainted with it. Since that time i run it primarily in rock for precise throttle control and all the goodness it brings. I do use roll at startup and shutdown, i like to hear the motor at a smoother idle to evaluate baseline behavior.... recently added a '22TCFE, and the mass difference high up really made the benefits for rock at slow speeds even more noticeable. I do sometimes, when on longer highway stretches, change to roll mode as it certainly seems to fatigue one less, especially on the '21FE with no cruise control... but always end up back in rock before too long.

Back