Side Case Tough To Open

I recently noticed that the release button for one of my side cases was really hard to press down the first time after I use the central lock to lock and unlock the cases. When I press it down once (have to use the key or something to cover my finger so I can press harder) it becomes easier to press, until I lock/unlock the cases again.
It was not like this at first and neither the top or other side case have this problem. Is this a known issue? Do I need to lube the lock or something? Any ideas or anyone else having this problem?

I recently noticed that the release button for one of my side cases was really hard to press down the first time after I use the central lock to lock and unlock the cases. When I press it down once (have to use the key or something to cover my finger so I can press harder) it becomes easier to press, until I lock/unlock the cases again.
It was not like this at first and neither the top or other side case have this problem. Is this a known issue? Do I need to lube the lock or something? Any ideas or anyone else having this problem?
It sounds like something's jammed in there. I'd remove the locking assembly out of that case and inspect it for any debris that has likely fallen in.

Also, check the outer-inner perimeter of the case lid, it's possible the lid's locking clasp is misaligning because something might have fallen in around out there?

Just a couple suggestions. Try the second one first.

Mike

I had the same problem after using central lock, it was almost impossible to open one of the side cases. I found that jiggling the release button with less force helped (instead of applying massive force straight down). The problem has disappeared, so perhaps some misaligned parts have worn down, just a guess.

My TC had a sticky lock on the right case.
It would not unlock completely with the control button, but by inserting the key and turning it just a tad it would release so the button could be pushed.
Another behavior I observed, when turning the key it would also bind up part way through the turn but could be forced past it.
I tried using graphite without results and the issue was finally resolved on a visit to MAXBMW.
While the case was unlocked, they inserted the key and pushed the release button on the case with the key in it.
After that the lock started to behave perfectly, unlocked completely from the control button, and no binding when turning the key in the lock.
This seemed to set things a'right and it's been fine since.
Hope this is helpful.

Although unable to explain exactly how it resolved the issue, I suspect the pressing of the button on the case with the key inserted somehow aligned the gates in the lock cylinder, or perhaps seated the locking gate.

Last edited:
HUH... I've actually experienced the same issue on the RIGHT HAND side case of my Model B; I thought it was due to over stuffing my case, I'll try the Key + Push method later today...

Back