Riding possigion mods

I love the looks of my R18 classic, but after an hour it makes my hips hurt. I am used to having my legs more streched. I ride a Softail and a Triumph Scrambler as well. I was wondering if there are mods to be done in order to avoid this pian?
My first thoughts are:
- A solo seat leand towards the back
- A handlebar that is longer
Thw combination of these two things might bring the riding position to the back and make it more comfortable?

I wonder if boosting the seat height with a dictionary would help... :)

I love the looks of my R18 classic, but after an hour it makes my hips hurt. I am used to having my legs more streched. I ride a Softail and a Triumph Scrambler as well. I was wondering if there are mods to be done in order to avoid this pian?
My first thoughts are:
Thw combination of these two things might bring the riding position to the back and make it more comfortable?
Installing the handlebar extension kits will help pull bars back to you about 2 inches, and that took some of the pressure off my shoulders since I was able to sit more upright and not lean into them. A search of "R18 handlebar risers" will provide plenty of vendors on ebay selling them.

Also the Wunderlich flat foot pegs will lower your feet about an inch which may help make legs a bit more comfortable. They only work if you have the current round pegs installed though. They're not interchangeable with the floorboards.

https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/BMW_R18_Footpegs_Lowered

Installing the handlebar extension kits will help pull bars back to you about 2 inches, and that took some of the pressure off my shoulders since I was able to sit more upright and not lean into them. A search of "R18 handlebar risers" will provide plenty of vendors on ebay selling them.

Also the Wunderlich flat foot pegs will lower your feet about an inch which may help make legs a bit more comfortable. They only work if you have the current round pegs installed though. They're not interchangeable with the floorboards.

Thank you, this was helpful.
Not so sure about the StarTac/Palm conversation going on up here...

Lord...they would make the R18 look just bad it seems to me but good to know they will fit, maybe an r18 base model. Just seems it would not offer enough floor board area to be comfortable for the bottom of your feet. Anyone have them and like them?
Hum, well ok...it does look better in Black :)

Last edited:
My first thoughts are:
BMW makes a taller seat for the classic.

The hip angle with the low seat and long legs can be such that your knees are above your hips.

On my Classic this was an issue with the stock seat (would be worse on R18 Pure with shorter seat). After 45 minutes I needed a break. I put on the Weekender, which although not taller has more support. I can go 2 hours between breaks and the hip pain isn’t terrible. If I add the Airhawk which raises me up a bit more I have no hip pain even after two hours.

I was a Motorola Star Tac guy...
Same here. It was my very first cell phone and have very fond memories of it. I opted for the extra capacity battery. It bulged out like a sore thumb, but I also wasn't racing around for a wall outlet either.

The old CDMA/GSM analog networks...those were the days...

Mike

The hip angle with the low seat and long legs can be such that your knees are above your hips.

On my Classic this was an issue with the stock seat (would be worse on R18 Pure with shorter seat). After 45 minutes I needed a break. I put on the Weekender, which although not taller has more support. I can go 2 hours between breaks and the hip pain isn’t terrible. If I add the Airhawk which raises me up a bit more I have no hip pain even after two hours.
where can I see those seats?

Same here. It was my very first cell phone and have very fond memories of it. I opted for the extra capacity battery. It bulged out like a sore thumb, but I also wasn't racing around for a wall outlet either.

The old CDMA/GSM analog networks...those were the days...

Mike
Before the BS with Fantastic 4G and ultra Fantastic 5G. In both instances the cell provides simply play us as the 'push' the service they have failed to build out enough to give us the speeds promised.

Back