Replacements for Commander 3

4valve

Just over 5,000 miles and the front tyre worn down on the sides with uneven wear, running at 36 front and 42 rear. The rear has squared off slightly and has stepped out in the wet a few of times, I have it rain mode when the roads are wet. Time to get rid of them. I used Cobra Chrome when I had Harleys and they were great tyres, have not heard any reports on them with the R18 FE. I am looking at a few options for replacement, Cobra Chrome, Metzler 888 or Cruisetec, I am based in the UK.

I went 'Cruisetec' and really like it .. can't say on durability .. but I like the way they ride. ... and soooo quiet in compare to them Com IIIs

I changed mine to Cobra Chrome almost straight away ...... had them previously on the Harley and they are just as sure footed on the BMW

My bike has only done 2.5K miles and the tyres are looking spanking brand new. I have the Bridgestone Battle Cruise H50.
Hopefully I could do at least 10K on these tyres.
On my previous bike I also had Bridgestones and I changed the first set at 15K and when I sold the bike 10K miles or so later, the tyres were looking fantastic still.

I wonder if Michelin with all their 2000 to 2023 first gen problems (like mine) have considered a recall or even a strong trade in credit for the new gens? Otherwise, no more Michelins for me. My 2021 with <2700 miles has deterioration inside the treads, especially in the front 120/70-19 Commander III touring tire. Garage stored and pressures kept at 36/42. When I purchased my R18 in early 2022, both tires were dated 2020. They are barely over 3 years old.

I wonder if Michelin with all their 2000 to 2023 first gen problems (like mine) have considered a recall or even a strong trade in credit for the new gens? Otherwise, no more Michelins for me. My 2021 with <2700 miles has deterioration inside the treads, especially in the front 120/70-19 Commander III touring tire. Garage stored and pressures kept at 36/42. When I purchased my R18 in early 2022, both tires were dated 2020. They are barely over 3 years old.
I contacted Michelin with pictures of my 'flaking apart' front tire .. they gave me the run-around and in so many words told me to take a flying leap ... lesson learned, I won't buy any of their tires anymore.
IMG_20230804_161109941.jpg

My front tire has been howling since new. Mentioned it to the dealer at first service and then again when I was in for a headlight replacement. They did not seem concerned about the problem but commented last time bike was there with approximately 7,800 miles that the front tire is cupping. Gee thanks. I even specifically asked both times I mentioned the tire “issue” that I’d be interested in filing a warranty claim with Michelin. They said I could do that on my own. 🤔 I did read a post on here when someone put rubber washers between the fork legs and the fender that seemed to greatly reduce the howl. Haven’t got around to tackling that yet and probably won’t until i have the front wheel off for a new tire.

I contacted Michelin with pictures of my 'flaking apart' front tire .. they gave me the run-around and in so many words told me to take a flying leap ... lesson learned, I won't buy any of their tires anymore.
View attachment 13723
I personally like mine.. but Im only at 1000 miles and mine is a 2021... I went for a warranty problem at the dealership and tried to switch to H50. The tech talked me out of it saying that the tires I have the are perfectly fine and on the same level of performance in wet as the H50. So I was talked out of the sale and very confused....

I personally like mine.. but Im only at 1000 miles and mine is a 2021... I went for a warranty problem at the dealership and tried to switch to H50. The tech talked me out of it saying that the tires I have the are perfectly fine and on the same level of performance in wet as the H50. So I was talked out of the sale and very confused....
It is really a individual decision the tire in the picture is @ 8000 miles and if you notice the 'flaking' is on the trailing edge of the grooves ... very odd. I have been using Michelin tires for a long time and was always very happy with them ... just the set (and mostly the front) that came on my 2021 FE were/are really $hit ... I do like Metzler tires and I really like the 'Cruisetec' series that also happens to offer the sizes I need ... so I say ... if you are happy with the Michelin tires .. don't fix anything that isn't broken ... for me it is a 'No Thanks' ;)

Back