Replace Ugly Rear Turn Signal

Rolf

Dear R18B Friends. I am just not fond of the rear (and front) turn signals. Just something about the shape is off to my eyes. So much old school and round and the OE one looks modern and triangular and sits cross to the bags .........so I want to replace the rear driving light - turn signal. I am struggling to find something round, not too deep and proportional in size. The photo attached is actually listed under Hot Rod Aftermarket.......I can splice and solder a wire, but other than that I am not electrical savvy. So the simple question, on a CANBUS type wiring on the BMW R18B motorcycle....... will the above two wire LED Mini light work? Thank You! Greatly appreciate the help.

* A few options and still searching.

Attachments

• PXL_20230910_214912369.jpg
    PXL_20230910_214912369.jpg
    801.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20240224_135725_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240224_135725_Chrome.jpg
    847.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20240224_124859_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240224_124859_Chrome.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 34
The wiring should be pretty straightforward, especially since it is all located within the side cases; perhaps, temporarily wire in the new lights and see if they trigger an error code.

The ECU will be looking for a specific current (amperage) and verify that a load exists on the circuit.

Maybe try removing one of the rear lights to see what sort of existing hole or holes will be present, and whether or not the new lights will fill that plemish.

Scott. Thank YOU for your insights.... I think the hole will be filled and the supplied gasket will keep it dry.... Just reluctant to place an order only to figure out it's a three wire and incompatible.... But I think I need to explore and take it apart. Thanks!

Scott. Thank YOU for your insights.... I think the hole will be filled and the supplied gasket will keep it dry.... Just reluctant to place an order only to figure out it's a three wire and incompatible.... But I think I need to explore and take it apart. Thanks!
Someone has to be the first... Me personally.. I like the way the stock rear lights look on my bagger..

i'm not offended by my tail lights, but id sure love to plug n play some extra lights
I've been thinking about that same thought; I installed the ROCTANE filler panel kit on my Model B and was thinking of adding lights similar to what the HD Street and Road Glides offer, within the space between the fender and the rear cases.

Screenshot_20240225-042246.png

Nice. I definitely like that look, but unfortunately it does not work with the passenger backrest and luggage rack. Also, unburied the stored bike yesterday and took a look inside my bag.... to my surprise, it is completely sealed from the inside.... 🤔

Nice. I definitely like that look, but unfortunately it does not work with the passenger backrest and luggage rack. Also, unburied the stored bike yesterday and took a look inside my bag.... to my surprise, it is completely sealed from the inside.... 🤔
That is a liner inside the case, but to gain access, I had to lightly pry the light from the plastic chrome frame it is housed in. There is a slot at the bottom of the lights. Wiring and 2 bolts holding those frames are under the lights

Having just done both my rears and my fronts (this is for US FE model) I may have some suggestions for you.
The fronts were straight forward, 2 wires and you just have to have a light where the internal resistance / amperage draw somewhat matches the originals.
The rear is a bit a different story. Although there were 4 wires on my bike actually only 2 did anything at all. It appears to supply a 'dimmed' power to the lights for running lights and then ramp it up for brake/turn. But again as long as the internal resistance/amperage draw somewhat matches the originals it will not throw a fault.
Scott made a fine point ... disconnect 1 of the lights and test it before you dive too deep in.
Just my 2¢
Rear Blinker10.jpg

That is a liner inside the case, but to gain access, I had to lightly pry the light from the plastic chrome frame it is housed in. There is a slot at the bottom of the lights. Wiring and 2 bolts holding those frames are under the lights
Thank YOU for the explanation. Greatly Appreciated. 👍

Having just done both my rears and my fronts (this is for US FE model) I may have some suggestions for you.
The fronts were straight forward, 2 wires and you just have to have a light where the internal resistance / amperage draw somewhat matches the originals.
The rear is a bit a different story. Although there were 4 wires on my bike actually only 2 did anything at all. It appears to supply a 'dimmed' power to the lights for running lights and then ramp it up for brake/turn. But again as long as the internal resistance/amperage draw somewhat matches the originals it will not throw a fault.
Scott made a fine point ... disconnect 1 of the lights and test it before you dive too deep in.
Just my 2¢
View attachment 13456
You guys are Awesome. Thank YOU for sharing your knowledge.... I will dig into this once it gets warmer and I can get the bike out. Thanks! 👍

Not sure if the below image will help in exploring the disassembling of the rear case:

1708950256718.png

Back