R18B/ R18TC headlight

Kawasakidj

Site Supporter
Elite Member
I’ve looked high and low for an aftermarket headlight for my bike on the internet. All it needs is a black headlight and I’d be done and satisfied. I’m talking about the inner housing, not the outer trim. Think a HD street glide. Im pretty sure I know the answer already but has anyone had any luck finding one of retrofitting one? If not does anyone know if you took it apart and painted it how it would affect performance? 739250B9-7A61-4CE0-8070-E13DC55E74E8.jpeg Something like this.

I've taken a close look at the headlight on my Model-B, while I had the fairing apart while integrating the TC auxiliary lights; it's a pretty complex OEM and integrated headlight system.

It's a nice light, I personally wouldn't touch it..

This is no help but I learned the hard way that (except for add-on mods) it is best to leave a bike stock. I altered my first R1200c too much to the point I had to part it out rather that sell it. At that time I came out okay on $ by parting it but never again.

I've taken a close look at the headlight on my Model-B, while I had the fairing apart while integrating the TC auxiliary lights; it's a pretty complex OEM and integrated headlight system.

It's a nice light, I personally wouldn't touch it..
You can take apart the front fairing; follow the mini directional / blinker directions on the BMW accessories website for the Transcontinental.

It's pretty straight forward; attached is a picture of my Model-B disassembled and the headlight if just a few screws away for inspection...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220912-155457-982.png
    Screenshot_20220912-155457-982.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
“…All it needs is a black headlight and I’d be done and satisfied…”
funny very funny…until the next bug bites you and it is time to change ‘just one more thing…’ :)
How is the stock headlight performance when it comes to lighting up the sides of the road?

I infer all Bagger models have that bmw beam(s) that light up a bit when leaning the bike into turns. Not as fancy as the R1250RT tilting swivel headlight but I would think better than just a regular headlight that doesn’t light up the side of the road at all.

You can take apart the front fairing; follow the mini directional / blinker directions on the BMW accessories website for the Transcontinental.

It's pretty straight forward; attached is a picture of my Model-B disassembled and the headlight if just a few screws away for inspection...
Wow that great info, thanks Scott. I’m sure you’re right, it’ll be more trouble than it’s worth. For me it’s just the missing piece for my steed. Maybe bmw in 24 will have an oem black option I can swap it out for.

“…All it needs is a black headlight and I’d be done and satisfied…”
funny very funny…until the next bug bites you and it is time to change ‘just one more thing…’ :)
How is the stock headlight performance when it comes to lighting up the sides of the road?

I infer all Bagger models have that bmw beam(s) that light up a bit when leaning the bike into turns. Not as fancy as the R1250RT tilting swivel headlight but I would think better than just a regular headlight that doesn’t light up the side of the road at all.
lmao very true. I’m sure I’ll find something else eventually to mod.

Agreed... If I can sell my KLIM riding gear, maybe two of my old school BMX bikes... I can afford the J&H exhaust...

I really like where my Model-B is configuration wise...

Back