R18 vs R18 Classic

I will speak to the dealer, though the die is pretty much cast for me to get the left over new 2021 R18 (comes with the R18 package box of stuff). My cost nets out to under $11k (excluding title, reg, tax fees).

They have a used 21 Classic for $13,800 all the goodies...including Cruise control. It only has 2years left on the warranty though oddly has only 593 miles on it.

I know the Classic has a fatter front tire, thinking handlebars are the same. Believe due to the front tire it might not turn/turn-in as quick as the R18 does though maybe cushion the bumps a drop better. Plus those running lights do look nice (guess one could just add Clearwater running lights to the engine guard on the R18 that I am having put on). The screen is not great from what I hear, maybe adding memphis lowers helps.

Then again, I figure for the $2,800plus difference I could buy a lot of windscreen and running lights thus maybe that fat front tire would not matter that much.

This reviewer says the fat tire actually makes it handles nimbler.

Darn, does not seem to be a lot of love for the R18(FE/Pure) base model. Guess that can sort of make sense since you get the windscreen and the bags with the Classic...plus cruise control (vs none one R18FE).

At any rate, R18 club member meeting at end of the month. Never mind...I might be the only one at the Donut Shop.
I have love for the FE Pure. I understand the desire for more function and long range comfort with shields, bags, boxes, electronics, bigger seats, extra lights etc. but I think the Pure without all of that stuff showcases the design.

Darn, does not seem to be a lot of love for the R18(FE/Pure) base model. Guess that can sort of make sense since you get the windscreen and the bags with the Classic...plus cruise control (vs none one R18FE).

At any rate, R18 club member meeting at end of the month. Never mind...I might be the only one at the Donut Shop.
The r18 fe does come with factory cruise if you get lucky mine has it

Dealer did not have any in a create with it and have already signed bmw finance papers. Even if there was one new hidden someplace in the US for sale it would be too late for me to cancel or back out of the agreement signed.

Last edited:
Yes, the base has its own look about it and that is a good thing. In fact, even with the ballon exhaust I am drawn to it (maybe a bit more with that exhaust).

Worried a Wunderlich rider back rest will distract from the clean flowing look a bit but could use it to strap stuff down a bit better. Looking for a 10% coupon to their shop at the bmwra rally in NC end of Sept. Will watch the forum to see if someone is selling a some other brand of used lower profile passenger back rest that won't have such a high profile appearance :)

I am excited for 2nd/3rd week of Sept when I go get it.

My November built 2020 FE Pure ( MY21) came with cruise/ heated grips/ reverse/ floorboards with heal toe shifter/ chrome package/headlight pro/lockable fuel cap/hill start control/pinstripes / alarm. . Maybe it was the build date or different regions had different features.

I make it no secret that I am very very fond of my R18 First edition and I am not so fond of its follow ups. A retro bike should be, well retro :). I love it in every way and have a good luggage system I can use anytime I want and a suitable windshield (although you would need to twist my arm to put it on.

SImply, I'm not a fan of the classics or the baggers. Its just not the same to me.

I make it no secret that I am very very fond of my R18 First edition and I am not so fond of its follow ups. A retro bike should be, well retro :). I love it in every way and have a good luggage system I can use anytime I want and a suitable windshield (although you would need to twist my arm to put it on.

SImply, I'm not a fan of the classics or the baggers. Its just not the same to me.
Well that makes me feel good. I need to do a Google map to see if I will even try to ride it ten hours in one day from IL to GA and with no bags nor wind screen.

Last edited:
Well that makes me feel good. I need to do a Google map to see if I will even try to ride it ten hours in one day from IL to GA and with no bags nor wind screen b
I have the cloth waterproof BMW messenger bags, as well as a 1950s style luggage rack from wunderlich. We can talk about windshield vs. no windshield. At speeds under 80, I don't miss a windshield for any ride. earplugs and a good, and I mean good helmet with a chin dam will make you forget windshields... also windshields can act like sails in high crosswinds. In short, they are not what they're all cracked up to be. I use a windshield on my GS; but I regularly ride at higher speeds on it.

Now the stock seat has to go. There is no such thing as a comfortable stock seat and I put on the weekender. Its a bit bulky but it is a necessity for a 1000 mile ride.

I admit I am a more than one bike person so I have the luxury of not having to serve two masters with one bike. But I have now done a 1000 mile day on the R18. It took a few more hours but hey, I got there on a way cooler bike.

Well that makes me feel good. I need to do a Google map to see if I will even try to ride it ten hours in one day from IL to GA and with no bags nor wind screen.
It is the most awesome of all the variations in my opinion.

You don’t need a windshield. Naked bikes are pure, smile on your face, great bikes to ride. 10 hrs! Lucky you.

You don’t need a backrest, this is not a HD. There is no question that the riding position of an HD screams backrest on the test ride alone. Not so on the r18. You are just vertical enough; perfect.

I am not sure why you are looking to make tons of changes to a bike you have not even ridden yet. Damn put away your worry beads. Actually throw some away you have waaaay to many.

You don’t need a windshield. Naked bikes are pure, smile on your face, great bikes to ride. 10 hrs! Lucky you.

You don’t need a backrest, this is not a HD. There is no question that the riding position of an HD screams backrest on the test ride alone. Not so on the r18. You are just vertical enough; perfect.

I am not sure why you are looking to make tons of changes to a bike you have not even ridden yet. Damn put away your worry beads. Actually throw some away you have waaaay to many.
Man, I couldn't agree more. I rode my FE 5,000 miles before changing a darn thing on it. Just ride it like you stole it and change the oil.

My first bike, the 71 r75/5 came with a seat and tires. I am uncertain if I can remember back that far how long it was until I added things to it. Then again, I don't recall if I had even done a motorcyle course back in the day...don't know they had them back then.

Nails hitting the face with half shell helmet back in those days...well hard rain drops that is when it came down heavy. The good old days, plus many years later a parrot on the back seat in a wicer basket. He elected to chew out a hole so he could look out.

Backrests are nice for passengers...HD, or not...

Dealer did not have any in a create with it and have already signed bmw finance papers. Even if there was one new hidden someplace in the US for sale it would be too late for me to cancel or back out of the agreement signed.
Bull*hit dude. The deal isn't *done* until you take delivery. Tell the dealer you want a bike with cruise or it's not happening. Are you buying this from Barrington Cycle Werks?

Back