R18 Transcontinental handlebar extensions. What options do we have?

Keehn

Site Supporter
Elite Member
Hey everyone,

While Alcina has most everything I want in a motorcycle, there are a couple spots where she could be improved upon, and one of them is the handlebars.

At my preferred relaxed riding posture, only my fingertips to my first knuckle are resting on the grips. While this is fine on day trips, I wouldn't want to "handle" this on extended rides. I already suffer from radiculopathy (tingling and numbness of my hands and fingers, and feet, courtesy of the navy), so I need my grips closer than the typical guy for comfort so I can keep my elbows in a semi-rested position.

Anyways, I've only found the "Helibars", which is an entire swap of the handlebars thus far, and Wunderlich says their handlebar extensions aren't compatible with the TC. Can anyone confirm or deny this claim? I know that mechanically, the TC, bagger and plain-jane are the same in this arena, it's just the dress is different overhead (the fairing and infotainment system).

I really hate to blow $660 bucks on a Helibar when all I need is to extend my 🤬 grips 4-5" closer to me.

Help me R18 forum members! You're my only hope!
MuEv.gif

Mike

There is a thread about Heli Bars (or Helli Bars). Maybe it could help you
Yeah...I'm hoping not to abandon ship with my current bars if I can help it, spending over half a grand just to extend the grips several inches closer to me.

I'm hoping some brave soul out there with a bagger or TC has purchased the handlebar extenders and can confirm/deny whether the fairing/infotainment system gets in the way of extending the bars closer to the rider.

Mike

It appears BMW is offering a new set of handlebars for R18B and TC called Bagger handlebar. It looks higher and flatter. I am 6ft and stock bars were very uncomfortable / too low for extended riding.
I'm 6" as well and in the same boat as you. Like I mentioned to Luis, I'd hate to abandon the existing handlebars, but if there's no other option...then I might have to bite the bullet.

I'm still holding out for anyone else out there though with ideas or lessons learned.

Mike

Back