R18 TR top case removal?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date
Tomi08: "To remove the top case, 4 screws inside, under the plastic caps.
And remove the small plastic casing under the top case and disconnect the 2 electrical outlets.

An error message appears "rear brake light problem" but it can be cleared.
The other problem, impossible to use the cruise control"

Do I understand correctly: Even with error code problem solved, cruised control does not work?
The cruise still works on mind. I get the error message though.

Hey there, did you get the info on the brake light trick? If so could you please send it to me? I see the original member has been deleted. Thanks, Mike
Sorry, it deleted from mine too. I remember him splicing the wires and that I refused to do. I use my touring pack on trips not around town. If you pull the bags and then the bolts to the touring pack you just have to disconnect the wires for the brake light and speakers. You will get a flash on your display to check your brake light when u apply ur brake but that goes off when u start moving. The cruise works and so does everything else. I’ve done it a few times now and it takes about 20 mins to do.

Sorry, it deleted from mine too. I remember him splicing the wires and that I refused to do. I use my touring pack on trips not around town. If you pull the bags and then the bolts to the touring pack you just have to disconnect the wires for the brake light and speakers. You will get a flash on your display to check your brake light when u apply ur brake but that goes off when u start moving. The cruise works and so does everything else. I’ve done it a few times now and it takes about 20 mins to do.
That’s too bad it was deleted, by appreciate your response. I don’t need the top case all of the time but at least it looks good!!

Wow, I love the looks. Love it.

I am thinking there is an electrician who can explain how to trick the R18TR into thinking the top box is still on there. We must find him!
Is that a cloth cover on the frame back there?
If you already have your top case removed, it should be pretty straightforward on trying to match the resistance of the brake light with a simple resistor; however, you'll need a Volt-Ohm meter.

Not sure if the brake light is a two wire or three wire system? One of the wires will be ground, probably brown in color; the remaining wire will most likely be the 12 V input for running lights and or the brake light illumination.

Set your VOM to resistance (Ohm), it may have an Omega symbol on the dial; now, take the red & black test leads and test across the wiring - maybe match the black test lead to the brown wire and note the resistance value on the meter.

Thank you Scott! I was thinking about buying an aftermarket led tail light and try to make a connector to mate up to the brake light wiring harness. The light would be active but I could hide it in one of the saddlebags.

Back