R18 TR top case removal?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1344

Has anyone tried to remove the top case from the Transcontinental? I bought the TR for its chrome forks, better wind protection, engine protection bars, bargain price, etc, but not for the top case.

Pour retirer le top case, 4 vis à l'intérieur, sous les bouchons plastique.
Et démonter le petit carter plastique sous le top case et débrancher les 2 prises électriques.

Un message d'erreur apparaît " problème feu stop arrière " mais il peut être effacé.
L'autre problème, impossible de se servir du régulateur de vitesse !

Thank you TomiO8.

The translation is:
  • 4 screws inside under the plastic caps.
  • Disassemble the small plastic housing under the top case
  • Disconnect the 2 electrical outlets.
  • Error message appears "rear stop light problem" but it can be erased.
  • Cruise control disabled.

Now I just have to figure out what size resistor to use to trick the bike into thinking the top case electrics are still connected.
Mechanical things make sense to me. Electrical is tricky. Any help from a guy who knows electrics on a motorcycle is welcome.

Wow, I love the looks. Love it.

I am thinking there is an electrician who can explain how to trick the R18TR into thinking the top box is still on there. We must find him!
Is that a cloth cover on the frame back there?

translate......Its a non-slip mat. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your statement is: "Brake light plugged into the small connection".
I like what you did, but I don't know how to overcome the electrical issues.
Are you referring to the center light? Where/what is the small connection?

Hey there! Thank you for the informational post... Did you ever figure this out? My father, like you, would prefer his TC without the top-case and without warning lights!

Noah

Hey Noah,
I sent you a long message in a conversation about how to remove the top box and not get an error code.

R12C-R18TC Could you please send it to me as well? My R18TC is on order, and I've asked the dealer to remove the top box, but they apparently also still don't know how to fix the error code issue

Pour retirer le top case, 4 vis à l'intérieur, sous les bouchons plastique.
Et démonter le petit carter plastique sous le top case et débrancher les 2 prises électriques.

Un message d'erreur apparaît " problème feu stop arrière " mais il peut être effacé.
L'autre problème, impossible de se servir du régulateur de vites

It’s easier if you open the bags and take out the 2 screws. Then take the 2 screws that hold the top to the frame. Once you do both sides, pull the cover for the plug off and disconnect. This is much faster and less moving parts. I took my 4 screws and taped them to the inside of the top case. The big question is can u make a jumper to trick the system.

Tomi08: "To remove the top case, 4 screws inside, under the plastic caps.
And remove the small plastic casing under the top case and disconnect the 2 electrical outlets.

An error message appears "rear brake light problem" but it can be cleared.
The other problem, impossible to use the cruise control"

Do I understand correctly: Even with error code problem solved, cruised control does not work?

And remove the small plastic casing under the top case and disconnect the 2 electrical outlets.

Do I understand correctly: Even with error code problem solved, cruised control does not work?
I tested that yesterday and my cruise control worked. It’s just the break light problem that flashes when u apply the break.

Also Jay, if u take the 4 screws from inside the case so t still leaves you with the frame in place. Just take the screws from the frame on the side of the fender. Much easier to take off and put back on.

Back