R18 Roctane

Roctane - only the lamp housing is new. the rest adopted from other models of the R18 family
But, it is a throwback to older BMWs. The speedometer in the headlamp is the same design as on my 1972 BMW R75/5.

The chassis appears to be similar to the Pure/Classic with 3.5” travel. It’s about 20lbs heavier than a Classic, most likely due to the hard bags, bigger seat & front fender. The big difference is the wheels. The Classic is 3x16 front & 5x16 rear, while the Roctane is 3.5x21 front & 5.5x18 rear. 180/55 rear tire means lower profile than the 180/65 on a Classic, so expect it to be even rougher ride over bumps, but potentially a bit more “performance” feel.

The Roctane is a clear shot at the Road King Special niche, they look pretty much the same. With a price lower than the RKS and much better engineering, this could be a good strategic move from BMW in the short term to eat off a chunk of the HD market share in the US, but I doubt it's a wise decision in the long term, they won't be able to develop a loyal customer base if they copy other manufacturer's bikes, even if the copy is better than the original.

I’d love to know if those hard bags could be fitted to a Classic. I’m guessing that getting them to match the FE paint would be cost prohibitive.
I was wondering the same thing, but I suspect would not fit right onto the Classic. The Roctane cases look like the same form as the B and TC, which would mean the rear frame is different than the classic, seems would makes sense with a long rear fender. When we see the fiche we can compare the mounting hole locations with these for inference. Also in fiche will see details on the lower bag support bar.

CompareR18RearFrames.jpg

Back