R18 ride and weight question

Hello friends - i am new here. Maybe you can help me on deciding on purchasing a 2020 R18.

My main question is, if the bike is good for me in terms of handling. I have been riding since 6 years. My current bike is a Triumph Street Twin.

I am 5’10 and weigh about 155lbs.

Is R18 manageable for somebody who currently ride a 480lbs 900cc bike?

R18 is ~700lbs. Is it made for people who have significant experience bigger bikes?

Thank you

i Don’t think you will have any problem managing the R18. Getting it off the sidestand you may need to use your body weight. Once you have the bike upright and balanced because of the low center of gravity on the R18 it may actually feel lighter to you. And of course once you get moving over 2 mph there will be no difference at all.

I'm pretty sure you will notice it - but if it's something you want I reckon you will cope.

Getting it off the stand you will feel the wight for sure, and anytime you need to push it (in & out the garage maybe) will be the times you really feel it.

Slow speed maneovers can be tricky too - parking, very low speed turns (walking speed or less).

Not trying to put you off, but just something to be aware of.

it - weighs - a - lot.

It's not like a Triumph street twin to ride - the r18 is nothing like a sport classic bike. It's a completely different, take your time, enjoy the scenery experience.

Go try a ride on one & then you can be the judge for yourself. I've seen smaller folks than you manage no problem at all!

at 5'7" about 200 lbs.. i adjusted to the momentum characteristics of the 2020 R18 pretty quickly, noticed mostly if stopping or starting if off center, but predictable so I adjusted quickly and it's quite manageable....

Weight is one factor, but center of gravity is another. My heaviest bike before I got my R18 Classic was 560lbs with my GSA. With ~9” of suspension travel and a 36” seat height it is very tall. Moving it around the garage is more challenging than my lighter bikes due to the higher center of gravity. I don’t find my R18 Classic at 805lb harder to move around than the GSA due to the low CG from the 27” seat height.

Once you are moving, the weight on the bike melts away and it is surprisingly agile. It won’t be as agile as a Street Twin, as it is still ~800lbs, but it is a different experience that puts a giant smile on your face. As others suggested, you have to try it out for yourself.

If it is viable for you, why not keep the Street Twin alongside an R18? Each bike has its own personality and you may find you resonate with a few. I have 5 bikes very different from one another that allow me to match the bike to my mood. Added benefit is even if a bike is in for service, you have something else to ride.

Palidino has a video on this, his wife and daughter are small and ride big bikes. I am an instructor and see all types of people on different bikes and you can ride anything if you put in the desire and effort to train for the new bike. I think you'll find a love for the big R18!

agree with nielsm, low center of gravity figures in significantly. I felt so comfortable on the 2021 R18, that I confidently added a 2022 Transcontinental to my stable too.. I have found the TC as agile as the 2021 R18 and almost as manageable, the extra burger on top makes it a bit more girthy. I put footpegs on the TC to better switch back and forth between them. TC feels much more nimble with the pegs vs floorboards to me, was a good move. Now I refer to my 2021 R18 as the little one, but it's still huge.

"Weight is one factor, but center of gravity is another."
Coming from a Road Glide that was somewhat top heavy with a frame mounted fairing, my new bike search centered on the Bonneville T120 and similar models. I rode the Pure and liked the ride but really found my comfort zone on the Classic. The Classic is infinitely more nimble than my RG and the weight distribution much more balanced. I think the 16" fatty up front improves handling vs the 19"on the Pure. The seat height should be just fine for you and I think there might even be an optional seat available that would be even lower.

I'm 5'9" and 175 and I own both a Triumph Speed Twin (a bit taller and a bit lighter than the Street Twin) and an R18 and the bikes are very different. The R18 is a lot heavier and you have to pay attention on your inputs at slow speeds. The steering is a lot more deliberate than the Triumph. But you should be able to get a lot more foot down on the BMW, so that may help even it out. They are going to be very different experiences but both manageable for someone your size.

All the BMW dealers I know offer test rides, the best thing you can do is go try. Good luck!

I'm 5'9" and 175 and I own both a Triumph Speed Twin (a bit taller and a bit lighter than the Street Twin) and an R18 and the bikes are very different. The R18 is a lot heavier and you have to pay attention on your inputs at slow speeds. The steering is a lot more deliberate than the Triumph. But you should be able to get a lot more foot down on the BMW, so that may help even it out. They are going to be very different experiences but both manageable for someone your size.

All the BMW dealers I know offer test rides, the best thing you can do is go try. Good luck!
OP read the Pistole's comments twice. He is spot on. These bikes are so different to ride that if you do not like the bike, it will not be about the weight.

I have the Classic, which weighs just north of 800 pounds. I am 5'09", 180 and well past my middle 60's. You only notice the weight when bringing it up off the stand or backing up an incline. It has reverse, but I live in flat SW Fla. and never need it. Just show to my buddies for a laugh. It is very stable at parking lot speeds, can easily turn inside my previous ride, a 2017 HD Road King.

Back