R18 oil leak

Poco23

Just returned from a 355km ride today to find an oil leak.
Wondering if anyone has the same issue.

Attachments

• R18.jpg
    R18.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 144
Not yet. Oil looks pretty clear but since that's the side you'd put oil into the head, maybe some leaked down and blew back and dripped down at the end of this piece? Note, you can remove that entire piece on the side with a few Torx and if you're lucky, it's just over pour that flew back in the wind. Did you get an oil change recently? If a dealer did it, I'd just drop it off at the dealer since maybe they dripped oil?

It's a stretch but here's the metal piece shown taken off. it's possible oil dripped back that way? I'd take the chrome piece off and be sure.

sX18RB0.png

Not yet. Oil looks pretty clear but since that's the side you'd put oil into the head, maybe some leaked down and blew back and dripped down at the end of this piece? Note, you can remove that entire piece on the side with a few Torx and if you're lucky, it's just over pour that flew back in the wind. Did you get an oil change recently? If a dealer did it, I'd just drop it off at the dealer since maybe they dripped oil?

It's a stretch but here's the metal piece shown taken off. it's possible oil dripped back that way? I'd take the chrome piece off and be sure.

sX18RB0.png
Thank you for the information.

I agree with Adam's advice as I thought the same as I zoomed in on your photo. It takes a very small amount of oil to produce this result when an engine warms and the wind during a ride can push it on a sometimes unpredicted path. If you don't have the desire to take the cover off nor time to run by the shop soon I would simply do a clean up and then take another ride to see if you have similar results.

This is an insignificant amount as to harming the engine as long as you see oil in the sight glass. If this was the result of a small spill during service it likely won't return or a very minimal amount and if there is a leak from a loose cap, bad o-ring, etc., the quantity would likely produce similar results. Good luck, hopefully a quickly sorted "spill on isle 3" situation.

It looks like it is coming from the top of the gear box .. transmission breather hole maybe? ... now you have me guessing ... and I will have to look at mine when I get home from work :rolleyes:
Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 11.16.22.png

Last edited:
Much appreciate the feed back from all that have responded.
Unfortunately i haven't been for a ride sine the post, i shall update on the issue in the near future.

The bike was sent to the dealer i didn't ride it. The leak was fixed however the dealer did not communicate on the oil leak or repair.
No effort in cleaning the bike before handing it over to the customer, disappointing with the level of service.

The bike was sent to the dealer i didn't ride it. The leak was fixed however the dealer did not communicate on the oil leak or repair.
No effort in cleaning the bike before handing it over to the customer, disappointing with the level of service.

The repair should not be anything "Top Secret" even if it was just snugging up a fitting and their not taking a few minutes to clean the area up is the equivalent of doing an oil change and then leaving oily fingerprints all over the surfaces, just lazy and sloppy IMO. Glad it's sorted, but I would ask them what was done and while I wouldn't expect a tire to tire detailing, a little soapy water and wiping things down would be my expectation given the cause was a warrantied part failing.

Anyway, time to get back in the saddle 🍻

@fleabag Did you ever get that figured out? .. Uschi started doing that too .. real bad. Got to work this morning and noticed a burned oil smell ... looked down and it was all over the right side pipe, tire and saddle bag.

Gearbox05.jpg

Gearbox04.jpg

I tried to se where it is coming from ... she was wet underneath and 'round the back.

Gearbox01.jpg

Gearbox02.jpg

Gearbox03.jpg

Definitely coming from the top of the transmission, but there is really no opening there other than the 'Breather'
So I looked it up and saw that one part number has been superseded by another part number ... wondering if that is the problem???

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 08.36.56.png

They told me it looked like it was from the breather and possibly it was over filled. Keeping an eye on it.
So it only happened once? ... hmmm I changed to oil about 3500 miles back and it just started doing it .. so I don't think over filling is the issue here ... I did order the newer style breather from MAX, it should be here early next week. In the meantime I will tear off the top covers and see what I can find there.

So it only happened once? ... hmmm I changed to oil about 3500 miles back and it just started doing it .. so I don't think over filling is the issue here ... I did order the newer style breather from MAX, it should be here early next week. In the meantime I will tear off the top covers and see what I can find there.
Did you measure out the 1.15 L or did you "eye it up" to the fill hole, when you last changed the transmission fluid?

Did you measure out the 1.15 L or did you "eye it up" to the fill hole, when you last changed the transmission fluid?
Measure .. and as I said, it has been 3500miles so you would think that I would have noticed something earlier. I did notice that on the way home I took it real easy (55 - 65) versus going to work (85-90) that there was significantly less oil spillage. I will know more when I get the top covers off and can have a look at that 'Breather' ... in any case I have the new part number ordered and it should be here early next week.

Well F..k F..k F..k !!!!! That little Breather thing is real easy it just has a barb and plugs in there .. the trouble is it is under the ducting system for the air intake!!!! I now have the whole top of the bike removed and can see it well . It is very wet around it, so I am pretty sure this is the culprit ... but now I have to figure out how to lift the air intake up to get to it ... and it seems to be one huge piece with the rubber connectors to the cylinders permanently crimped on it .. anybody has any ideas? I was thinking taking out the 4 screws that hold it and the 3 screws on each cylinder so I can hopefully lift it up enough to change that thing ... anybody done that? Any suggestions are welcome.

Back