R18 Handling

Caveman

I've waited to post this until I had a few more miles on my R18C. First of all the basics. Mine is a '21and I have a little over 1200 miles on it. I've added a few cosmetic touches but mechanically the bike is bone stock and I haven't touched the preload. I did switch out the stock seat for a Mustang/BMW Day Rider. I'm 6' and weigh 180lbs. I've been riding motorcycles since I was 18 and I've owned everything from dirt bikes to sport bikes to cruisers. I've even raced a little bit in the dirt. None of that means much except to say I'm not a rookie rider and I have a fair amount of experience with all kinds of bikes and riding. I am not an expert by any means but I do know how to ride a motorcycle somewhat spiritedly.

I live out in the country in the hills of central Kentucky. It's about a 10 mile ride to the nearest interstate. Most of the roads are two lane country roads. No stoplights, stop signs and very few intersecting roads. The first part of any trip from my house includes navigating a long downhill gravel driveway and a mile or so of single lane unmarked asphalt 'road'. Pot holes and loose gravel are everywhere. Once I get to the main roads they're all smooth and in good repair with miles and miles of curves and hills. It's a fun ride to get into town and the interstate.

I don't understand all the negative comments about handling. I can hustle through the curves and hills of Kentucky pretty darn quickly while still remaining 100% within my limits and the limits of the bike. My R18 is rock solid and feels very planted in the curves. It doesn't dive or wallow around no matter what I do with braking or the throttle. No, it's not a sport bike but it handles better than any other cruiser I've ever ridden or owned. I'm not into 'racing' on back roads but I know a competent rider could easily make any of the MoCo cruisers work to keep up. Overall the brakes are excellent even though the rear brake could be a little more effective. The stock tires are so good I don't even notice them. They just seem to work on all kinds of surfaces. It's not a particularly difficult motorcycle to maneuver slowly or on difficult surfaces (i.e, my gravel driveway) despite the cruiser design and weight. The low CG and seat height certainly helps with that.

The bottom line is this is a great handling motorcycle. Notice I didn't say great handling cruiser. It is a great handling cruiser but saying that is a disservice to how good an overall motorcycle these bikes are. Mine has exceeded my handling expectations. I can go as fast and ride as aggressively as I'm inclined to do these days which isn't particularly fast most of the time. However, knowing the bike is up to the task is very satisfying. I rode with my buddy last weekend for a short hundred mile ride and he was unable to run away from me in the twisties on his GLT1600. We weren't trying to lose each other but we were riding a little bit aggressively.

I've only scraped my floorboards once and that was when I was trying to. I wanted to see how much lean it would take to scrape them. I could only do it by going slowly (about 25mph) on a tight 360 degree highway on ramp. While riding under normal conditions I've had my bike leaned way over in long sweeping 90 degree curves at speeds of up to 65mph and never scraped. I might have been awfully close but I have no desire to ride much more aggressively than that. When I say way over I mean 45 degrees.

If you're on the fence about buying an R18 because you've read too many professional reviews don't worry about anything. This is a great motorcycle in every way. Trust me, I've owned more than a few from more than a few brands. This motorcycle rides extremely well. Your sport bike buddies will leave you behind but a decent rider on an R18 can keep up with most other bikes and a few will be surprised at how they're gonna have to work to keep up with you. Buy with confidence and enjoy knowing your bike is more capable than most casual observers will conclude. Until they try to follow you. 😁

Last edited:
Completely agree. Too many dealers left the preload at the shipping setting, so reviewers thought it was harsh and scraped easily. Properly setup, the bike will carve easily. Like you, the only place I’ve been able to finally scrape was in a roundabout and I’ve been trying. I’ve done >20 over the speed limit on twisty roads and didn’t scrape at all and I’ve ended up passing a lot of other bikes much to their chagrin. It handles far better than an 800lb bike has any right to.

It is a firmer ride than some classic American cruisers and that helps the handling, but also means some used to a very soft ride quality might not like the R18 as much. But twisting the throttle will always make you giggle out loud from the R18’s character. I love mine.

I rode with my buddy last weekend for a short hundred mile ride and he was unable to run away from me in the twisties on his GLT1600.
I don't believe that. It means your buddy is either in his eighties or he's less than an average rider. A sport touring bike will leave you in the dust in the twisties as well as in the straightaways. And the rider doesn't have to be Valentino Rossie's cousin either. Your buddy is just weak.

I don't believe that. It means your buddy is either in his eighties or he's less than an average rider. A sport touring bike will leave you in the dust in the twisties as well as in the straightaways. And the rider doesn't have to be Valentino Rossie's cousin either. Your buddy is just weak.
I don't care what you believe young man. You got the 'boy' part right in your name. Grow up.

It's just not possible, dude. Get it through your head.
I wish you lived close by so I could show how long you would hang with a K1600 on your R18. I'm not sure who needs to grow up, caveman!
Is your friend's name Billy The Kid?

It's just not possible, dude. Get it through your head.
I wish you lived close by so I could show how long you would hang with a K1600 on your R18. I'm not sure who needs to grow up, caveman!
Is your friend's name Billy The Kid?
Caveman did say they weren’t trying to lose each other. The K1600 is a great bike and quicker and better handling than the R18 as one would expect a sport tourer to be. The R18 is also a very good handling cruiser far better than its weight would suggest.

i didn’t think Caveman was suggesting that ridden at the limits with similarly skilled riders the R18 would keep up with a K1600, but rather that riding “a little bit aggressively” which is not at the limits, the R18 holds its own and can have a spirited ride at the same pace as many other bikes.

I rode with my buddy last weekend for a short hundred mile ride and he was unable to run away from me in the twisties on his GLT1600. We weren't trying to lose each other but we were riding a little bit aggressively.
Nielsm, tell me if this makes any sense. On one hand his buddy was not able to run away from him, and on the other hand they were not trying to lose each other. I don't get it. Maybe it was kind of a Brokeback Mountain moment (where friends are more than friends and don't want to lose each other), followed by a glimpse into the 2022 Moto GP featuring the BMW R18 and The BMW k1600GT (where the competition is fierce and nobody takes prisoners). Now I think I've finally got it!

Nielsm, tell me if this makes any sense. On one hand his buddy was not able to run away from him, and on the other hand they were not trying to lose each other. I don't get it. Maybe it was kind of a Brokeback Mountain moment (where friends are more than friends and don't want to lose each other), followed by a glimpse into the 2022 Moto GP featuring the BMW R18 and The BMW k1600GT (where the competition is fierce and nobody takes prisoners). Now I think I've finally got it!
I think you may have over indexed on one part of what caveman said and read “unable” as literal in all cases, rather than consider the surrounding context.

Imagine we rephrased it to convey the same meaning the few sentences have but flip the negative unable to a positive:

I rode with my buddy on a GTL1600 last weekend for a short hundred mile ride. We weren't trying to lose each other but we were riding a little bit aggressively and I was able to keep up with him in the twisties on my R18.

I have a buddy with a FJR1300...It's a very fast bike... I've ridden *aggresively* with him on my then Honda Shadow 1100 Sabre...and then my Valkyrie 1800. His bike is faster then either of my Hondas, but who cares .. we still have a blast. There is far, far more to a bike then speed and agility...Personally the FJR is kinda fugly imo...and has no where near the character my Valkyrie or R18 has. Both bikes are WAY fast enough.

I think you may have over indexed on one part of what caveman said and read “unable” as literal in all cases, rather than consider the surrounding context.

Imagine we rephrased it to convey the same meaning the few sentences have but flip the negative unable to a positive:

I rode with my buddy on a GTL1600 last weekend for a short hundred mile ride. We weren't trying to lose each other but we were riding a little bit aggressively and I was able to keep up with him in the twisties on my R18.
I think I'll send all my future comments to you to edit before I post them.. (y)

I, for one, think that the 16GTL is a disjointed pig. I couldn't wait to get off of it! 🤷‍♂️ Just my opinion folks!
The R18? I think that the Classic's (16") handling with the preload dialed in is better than one would think on paper. Add the Bren Tune and the bike gets pushed up another notch or three. It can really hustle when you want and I just love riding it.

I've waited to post this until I had a few more miles on my R18C. First of all the basics. Mine is a '21and I have a little over 1200 miles on it. I've added a few cosmetic touches but mechanically the bike is bone stock and I haven't touched the preload. I did switch out the stock seat for a Mustang/BMW Day Rider. I'm 6' and weigh 180lbs. I've been riding motorcycles since I was 18 and I've owned everything from dirt bikes to sport bikes to cruisers. I've even raced a little bit in the dirt. None of that means much except to say I'm not a rookie rider and I have a fair amount of experience with all kinds of bikes and riding. I am not an expert by any means but I do know how to ride a motorcycle somewhat spiritedly.

I live out in the country in the hills of central Kentucky. It's about a 10 mile ride to the nearest interstate. Most of the roads are two lane country roads. No stoplights, stop signs and very few intersecting roads. The first part of any trip from my house includes navigating a long downhill gravel driveway and a mile or so of single lane unmarked asphalt 'road'. Pot holes and loose gravel are everywhere. Once I get to the main roads they're all smooth and in good repair with miles and miles of curves and hills. It's a fun ride to get into town and the interstate.

I don't understand all the negative comments about handling. I can hustle through the curves and hills of Kentucky pretty darn quickly while still remaining 100% within my limits and the limits of the bike. My R18 is rock solid and feels very planted in the curves. It doesn't dive or wallow around no matter what I do with braking or the throttle. No, it's not a sport bike but it handles better than any other cruiser I've ever ridden or owned. I'm not into 'racing' on back roads but I know a competent rider could easily make any of the MoCo cruisers work to keep up. Overall the brakes are excellent even though the rear brake could be a little more effective. The stock tires are so good I don't even notice them. They just seem to work on all kinds of surfaces. It's not a particularly difficult motorcycle to maneuver slowly or on difficult surfaces (i.e, my gravel driveway) despite the cruiser design and weight. The low CG and seat height certainly helps with that.

The bottom line is this is a great handling motorcycle. Notice I didn't say great handling cruiser. It is a great handling cruiser but saying that is a disservice to how good an overall motorcycle these bikes are. Mine has exceeded my handling expectations. I can go as fast and ride as aggressively as I'm inclined to do these days which isn't particularly fast most of the time. However, knowing the bike is up to the task is very satisfying. I rode with my buddy last weekend for a short hundred mile ride and he was unable to run away from me in the twisties on his GLT1600. We weren't trying to lose each other but we were riding a little bit aggressively.

I've only scraped my floorboards once and that was when I was trying to. I wanted to see how much lean it would take to scrape them. I could only do it by going slowly (about 25mph) on a tight 360 degree highway on ramp. While riding under normal conditions I've had my bike leaned way over in long sweeping 90 degree curves at speeds of up to 65mph and never scraped. I might have been awfully close but I have no desire to ride much more aggressively than that. When I say way over I mean 45 degrees.

If you're on the fence about buying an R18 because you've read too many professional reviews don't worry about anything. This is a great motorcycle in every way. Trust me, I've owned more than a few from more than a few brands. This motorcycle rides extremely well. Your sport bike buddies will leave you behind but a decent rider on an R18 can keep up with most other bikes and a few will be surprised at how they're gonna have to work to keep up with you. Buy with confidence and enjoy knowing your bike is more capable than most casual observers will conclude. Until they try to follow you. 😁
Well said Caveman. Agree on all points. Now for the other jackass…where is the mute button?!

nice write up. the R18 is a blast to ride and and even more fun when pushed hard.

ok just to add to the r18 gtl 'pole' lol. @Caveman was riding and i am pretty sure he knows if the guys was leaving him or not. pretty hard to argue with that... wait this is the internet. lol. all i can say is put about 35k on my GTL (mostly) two-up all over the US and Canada; so i have a little experience on both. me on my r18 would not have a chance to keep up with me and mrsadv on the k1600 if we wanted to light it up. But just out for a comfortable ride, we would stay together nicely.

glad you are enjoying!!

Last edited:
I sold a 2014 K1600GT to buy my R18. The 1600 could go 20mph in 6th gear and I wouldn't have to downshift to accelerate. At the end of the day, though, my wife and I never took more than a 50 mile ride on it, which means it was being wasted. I bought the R18 for it's classic looks. When I park it in a line of Harleys, everyone comes up and looks at it. That didn't happen with my K1600.

Yeah, my choice of the word 'unable' was unfortunate. Of course he could have left me if he wanted to but overall I've been pleasantly surprised at how competent the R18 is when ridden at a sporty pace. I prefer riding low and slow but when pushed the R18 will 'get er done' within the limits of the cruiser design. Road Kings beware. Sport tourers have nothing to worry about.

Yeah, my choice of the word 'unable' was unfortunate. Of course he could have left me if he wanted to but overall I've been pleasantly surprised at how competent the R18 is when ridden at a sporty pace. I prefer riding low and slow but when pushed the R18 will 'get er done' within the limits of the cruiser design. Road Kings beware. Sport tourers have nothing to worry about.
Plus, the R18 and other cruiser type bikes of similar creed, offer a better chance of getting laid.... Sport touring bikes are kinda dweeby in my book regardless of how fast they are... like who cares... I'd rather slide between the sheets with a sexy woman then go fast on a dweeby bike trying to impress other male dweebs on other dweeby bikes.. lol

There are some dweebs here that own R18s.There are also some folks that couldn't get laid regardless of what they ride.
Maybe there should be a new topic:
Dweebs and others that can't get laid.I will leave that topic to the experts.As for me ,I was 8 before I was 7.
:ROFLMAO:

Back