R18 - First Impressions from a new owner

Svtweb

Staff member
Elite Member
Ok... So I had some “Me” time with the new girl.
Gearbox is silky smooth. I also have an R1200C and K1600GTL and this gearbox by far is the smoothest with the shortest throw on the shifter. Finding neutral can be a challenge, but that is just because I’m used to the other bikes.
I need to get the high seat. I’m 6’3” and the normal seat places my knees a little high for me.
This motor is TORQUE!!!! From the moment you start it (and the bike tries to lean over from the starter) you know you have a lot of mass swinging back and forth. But is is also responsive. I put 100miles it back, twisty roads on her today and with each mile I could get a better felling of her composure.
This isn’t a crotch-rocket. It’s a cruiser. And far better than any Harley or Jap-Cruiser I have ridden with the exception of maybe the Honda Rune. Takes less effort to ride than my R1200C but more than the K1600GTL. If I had to make a comparison, the R1200C is a Fokker DR1, the K1600GTL is a Gulfstream G6 and the R18 is a P-47 Thunderbolt. It has a lot of mass, a lot of power, but it will do what you tell it to do.
If you remove the seat and the right side cover, there is an adjustment for the rear shock. I need to take some measurements and see what difference it makes. I’m a big guy (250lbs) so I may need to crank her up a little to counter my “American weight”. (See my post on Preload adjustment in the Garage)
She handles very good for a cruiser. As I got more comfortable I pressed her more in the turns. She will drag her pegs. See above about suspension adjustment.
Brakes.... She stops. She stops pretty good for what she is. It’s not a race bike, but she can be ridden with enthusiasm and not leave you hanging out to dry.
Now the ride is a little on the harsh side from the back end. I think that is a function of the design.
I also took it for a spin around the block last night. The headlight is good. The side lighting is very good. I especially like how the turn signals light up the entire front of the bike when in use. Something I noticed on my build sheet was “Dynamic Brake light delete”.. does anyone in the EU market have Dynamic Brake Lights? My guess is it’s a software option. This bike does need something to make it more visible from behind. The two “cats eyes” are all you have to get the attention of the knuckle-dragging, cage dwellers, so anything to make yourself be know would help.
Hope this gives some insight to anyone interested. Here’s a pic of my drivers side peg....

Attachments

• Peg Drag.jpg
    Peg Drag.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 10
Back