R18 Classic Tank & Fuel Gauge

pkaran

1. Anyone knows if the R18 Bagger Tank (24 Lt) can be fitted to R18 Classic? Or if these is a third party option for higher capacity tank ?
2. Are the R18 Bagger analogue instruments compatible with Classic ?
In my opinion then bigger tank and fuel gauge are critical !

Thank you .

R18 Instruments.jpg

The frame on the fairing bikes is different around the tank, so it wouldn't be a plug & play for the tank. Fuel gauges on bikes are notoriously inaccurate since the tank often has an odd shape around the frame. Just like in an airplane, they are only accurate when they are empty.

I just use the trip meter reset on fill up along with the miles since reserve feature (which is reasonably accurate). With the typical MPG I get, I expect reserve to go on around 130 miles and I would be empty ~40 miles after reserve light is on. So to be conservative, I try to refuel between 130-150 miles. It does mean that I'd refuel about every 2 hours at highway speeds, but I usually try to take a break every 2 hours anyway, so it lines up perfectly.

Assuming we had the bigger tank of the fairing bikes, it'd only mean an extra ~70 miles, so would only give an extra hour at highway speeds. I know when the reserve is on I need to grab gas and have a reasonable window to do it in.

The frame on the fairing bikes is different around the tank, so it wouldn't be a plug & play for the tank. Fuel gauges on bikes are notoriously inaccurate since the tank often has an odd shape around the frame. Just like in an airplane, they are only accurate when they are empty.

I just use the trip meter reset on fill up along with the miles since reserve feature (which is reasonably accurate). With the typical MPG I get, I expect reserve to go on around 130 miles and I would be empty ~40 miles after reserve light is on. So to be conservative, I try to refuel between 130-150 miles. It does mean that I'd refuel about every 2 hours at highway speeds, but I usually try to take a break every 2 hours anyway, so it lines up perfectly.

Assuming we had the bigger tank of the fairing bikes, it'd only mean an extra ~70 miles, so would only give an extra hour at highway speeds. I know when the reserve is on I need to grab gas and have a reasonable window to do it in.
Thank you for the reply.

Funny,I have a Indian with a fuel gauge.I usually wait till the warning light comes on.Then it tells me how many miles I have on reserve.I have ridden till it shows zero miles and still have a gallon left,go figure.
My R18C has a sidecar and I would love a larger tank.Reasearched it and found a dead end unless we could find a damaged tank to expermant with.A replacement tank is over $3,000. So,I just use the odometer between fill-ups and figure the mpg left by dividing the mileage ridden by 3.Plus I have a 5L jerrycan attached to the car between the car and bike.Have not used the can yet but it's there.Last thing,I am getting older and the more frequent stops are welcome with my prostrate,LOL:LOL:
IMG_9869.JPG

Here's a new angle on the fuel gauge question, the concept is interesting.

UPDATED: This is not the solution, it's for carbureted/unpressurized systems. (thx @R18C)

Universally usable Fuel gauge that allows to measure the fuel level without need of the float in fuel tank! Device is designed to measure hydrostatic pressure in fuel hosing. Device can be calibrated to compensate the shape of the fuel tank and shows real amount of fuel in the tank.

Last edited:
Here's a new angle on the fuel gauge question, the concept is interesting.

Universally usable Fuel gauge that allows to measure the fuel level without need of the float in fuel tank! Device is designed to measure hydrostatic pressure in fuel hosing. Device can be calibrated to compensate the shape of the fuel tank and shows real amount of fuel in the tank.

That’s a really cool gadge

Firstly I would like to thank you all for the replies. In my opinion the fuel gauge (accurate or not ) is still critical for long distance riding. Also I believe the fuel gauge that it is used on R18B and R18 Transcontinental should be compatible with R18 Classic and R18 FE with small adjustments.
May be BMW should think to provide all these analogue instruments as alternatives.
Ok it is good all this minimalistic style but the pseudo-analogue multifunction instrument is not so functional during driving !!!

On the other hand the fuel tank (16Lt) is very small for a 1800cc engine with 91hp. After of 1.500 Km in total with my R18 Classic the reservoir lights after ≈165Km (mix driving traffic – highways using roll driving mode) which is very stressful.

Firstly I would like to thank you all for the replies. In my opinion the fuel gauge (accurate or not ) is still critical for long distance riding. Also I believe the fuel gauge that it is used on R18B and R18 Transcontinental should be compatible with R18 Classic and R18 FE with small adjustments.
May be BMW should think to provide all these analogue instruments as alternatives.
Ok it is good all this minimalistic style but the pseudo-analogue multifunction instrument is not so functional during driving !!!

On the other hand the fuel tank (16Lt) is very small for a 1800cc engine with 91hp. After of 1.500 Km in total with my R18 Classic the reservoir lights after ≈165Km (mix driving traffic – highways using roll driving mode) which is very stressful.
I can see why you’d be concerned if you are only getting 165KM to reserve light. I’ve yet to have the reserve light come on before ~210KM. But as R18C suggested, I’d look at how much fuel you are adding at a given mileage.

My longest tank so far was ~250KM and only filled ~14L and the reserve came on around 215KM. The tank I did today I refilled at 190KM and only put in 10L, so my mileage is improving as I add more miles to the bike. Even though it is 1800cc, it’s either better than or the same fuel economy as my other smaller capacity bikes except the 300cc scooter.

I’m unclear what the fuel gauge would do for you if it isn’t accurate though? 3 of my bikes have fuel gauges, but they are only correct when full or empty, so I ignore them. Tripmeter plus reserve and amount filled is foolproof and how bikes have worked for decades. It could be worse, my 1972 R75/5 doesn’t have a trip meter. I either have to memorize what the odometer was when I last filled or wait for engine to die and flip the petcock over to reserve and find a station.

I can see why you’d be concerned if you are only getting 165KM to reserve light. I’ve yet to have the reserve light come on before ~210KM. But as R18C suggested, I’d look at how much fuel you are adding at a given mileage.

My longest tank so far was ~250KM and only filled ~14L and the reserve came on around 215KM. The tank I did today I refilled at 190KM and only put in 10L, so my mileage is improving as I add more miles to the bike. Even though it is 1800cc, it’s either better than or the same fuel economy as my other smaller capacity bikes except the 300cc scooter.

I’m unclear what the fuel gauge would do for you if it isn’t accurate though? 3 of my bikes have fuel gauges, but they are only correct when full or empty, so I ignore them. Tripmeter plus reserve and amount filled is foolproof and how bikes have worked for decades. It could be worse, my 1972 R75/5 doesn’t have a trip meter. I either have to memorize what the odometer was when I last filled or wait for engine to die and flip the petcock over to reserve and find a station.
I gave up after investigating prices of having the 18C tank made larger or going to a R18B tank then modifying it.
Lots a $$$$
I accept and I am living with my R18C with the small tank and sidecar.I rode 190 miles today stopping for gas 1 time then stopping to fill up about 2 miles from my house before returning home(32 mpg, never had the reserve light come on today).
I also had a big smile most of the day.Odometer is over 13,000miles and I am no longer thinking about a bigger tank.

Any CA riders having issue with vapor recovery sleeve on R18TC? The tank config doesn't permit full insertion of the metal part of the nozzle on the hose. The only way is to manually pull the rubber vapor sleeve up while fueling. Or am I missing something?

On another fuel related issue, my warning lite came on today so headed for station. Bike took 4.2 USgallons. Tank on the '22 TC is said to be 6.2 gals. So, is tank not getting entirely full possibly due to the lean angle on side stand while filling? Does bike need to be standing straight upright to fill completely? Thanks for feedback...

Any CA riders having issue with vapor recovery sleeve on R18TC? The tank config doesn't permit full insertion of the metal part of the nozzle on the hose. The only way is to manually pull the rubber vapor sleeve up while fueling. Or am I missing something?

On another fuel related issue, my warning lite came on today so headed for station. Bike took 4.2 USgallons. Tank on the '22 TC is said to be 6.2 gals. So, is tank not getting entirely full possibly due to the lean angle on side stand while filling? Does bike need to be standing straight upright to fill completely? Thanks for feedback...
NY used to have those rubber over hoses at some stations. I always would just lift them up to fill any of my bikes. There was even a company selling a metal key to hold it up to help since it was a problem on most bikes.

Most bikes need to be standing straight to fill completely. The exception would be those whose tanks have an offset fill location. How much capacity you lose filling on the side stand depends on the lean of the bike and shape of the tank. The R18 leans much more than any of my other bikes, so I could see it lose a significant amount of capacity filling leaned over.

Reserve light will come on with about 1.1 gallons of fuel remaining, so I tend to assume my average fuel economy is the range remaining…. ~44 miles. While I have a Classic rather than a TC, I tend to fill up within 20-30 miles after the reserve light comes on. My bike is 4.2 gallon capacity & I typically put in about 3.7 gallons.

I am in CA, and have one of these (link below). Works perfectly. I fill the tank until fuel just starts to splash around the inner collar, and I register a full tank every time.

I ignore the warning light since it seems to come on when the actual gauge still shows quarter of a tank. Even when the gauge needle is on Empty, I've never put more than 5 gallons in the tank.

https://www.aerostich.com/aluminum-gas-pump-nozzle-key.html

I am in CA, and have one of these (link below). Works perfectly. I fill the tank until fuel just starts to splash around the inner collar, and I register a full tank every time.

I ignore the warning light since it seems to come on when the actual gauge still shows quarter of a tank. Even when the gauge needle is on Empty, I've never put more than 5 gallons in the tank.

https://www.aerostich.com/aluminum-gas-pump-nozzle-key.html
thanks... and you have bike on side stand while filling? I'm gonna try to straddle the bike (so it is upright) while filling. Thanks to your tip on the nozzle key, I think that can be accomplished...

where are you in CA? maybe a ride sometime

NY used to have those rubber over hoses at some stations. I always would just lift them up to fill any of my bikes. There was even a company selling a metal key to hold it up to help since it was a problem on most bikes.

Most bikes need to be standing straight to fill completely. The exception would be those whose tanks have an offset fill location. How much capacity you lose filling on the side stand depends on the lean of the bike and shape of the tank. The R18 leans much more than any of my other bikes, so I could see it lose a significant amount of capacity filling leaned over.

Reserve light will come on with about 1.1 gallons of fuel remaining, so I tend to assume my average fuel economy is the range remaining…. ~44 miles. While I have a Classic rather than a TC, I tend to fill up within 20-30 miles after the reserve light comes on. My bike is 4.2 gallon capacity & I typically put in about 3.7 gallons.
thanks.. I'm gonna get the metal key and then straddle the bike (upright) while filling and see how that goes... best!

thanks.. I'm gonna get the metal key and then straddle the bike (upright) while filling and see how that goes... best!
I fill up with the bike on the stand, tilted toward the pump, to make things easier to see and maneuver without having to drape the hose over the bike.

I’m in Sacramento.

Correct me to can't imagine sitting any longer than 130miles

Correct me to can't imagine sitting any longer than 130miles
Everyone's level is different. Some riders do an Iron Butt - 1000 miles in 24 hours. I don't have an interest in that. I like to explore, stop & experience the places through which I travel. Yesterday, I did a tour of many lighthouses accessible on the Connecticut coast by road. I'd planned to do it on my R18 Classic, but the bike had an electrical issue with the wiring harness, so it's at the dealer.

Instead, I did the ride on my S1000R. As the ride went from the southwestern end to the northeastern end, it was a long day, stopping at each lighthouse and grabbing lunch in Stonington. Ended up around 290 miles round trip. On my S1000R, that day was exhausting. That bike has a terrible buzz at highway speeds - that exhausts your hands and arms. Thankfully, the tank is about empty on that bike at 140 miles, but realistically, I want a break after an hour.

Back