R18 Classic front end hopping vibration

So I have an update in my case.
Long story short, after quite a few phone calls and patience, I now have a new Bridgestone H50r as my back tire and I’m extremely happy to report that the bounce is now completely gone.
Judging by eye when I now rotate the wheel there is only at most a 0,5mm run out.
I can however now feel a slight wobble from the front and in any case I would like the tires to be a matching pair, so a Bridgestone front will be my next request.
In my case the problem therefore seemed to be caused by the Commander 3 tire.
That’s great to hear and useful to share with everyone. I’ve got H50’s on mine, no issues, like em.

Glad you are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I agree,if possible you should have a matching pair of tyres, especially the threads/groves should be the same for the obvious reasons.

As was suspected from the beginning. The dealer should have caught this! I have C3s on my bike, and I don't like them. About 7500mi on my bike...They're slippery...and the front tire has a low spot ..although I have no wobble.

Adrian R. What symptoms do you have from your front with a low spot?
Thankfully the violent bounce I felt in my seat is pretty much gone now, but a slight tendency is felt from the bars so a new front is next.
It is odd that these tires could cause this, actually Michelin has always been my go-to tire for my cars and I have usually been happy. This is a little disappointing but I’m thankful I’m close to solving the issue.

Michelin are by no means a bad choice. It could all be that they have designed these tyres for a specific kind of bikes and the R18 falls in this category. It is down to usage and then real trial begins. When they manufacture the tyres they will go through a rigorous process however the real test is the real life usage and then is where we learn that the product is good for a x amount of time/ miles but especially time as the compounds may react differently with time and the weight of the bike, something the manufacturer did not have the luxury of testing. I have never used Michelin because I have been more than happy with Bridgestone on my previous bikes and cars and I don’t have any complaints so far but this is not to say one is better than the other one.

Makes me crack another beer reading the dealers shoulder shrugs followed by mizzy matching your tires. My B’s build date is 9/22, bought it a month ago, the commander 3’s on it are 34 months old….hmmmm. Where the f were these tires for two years? So ya, dealer politely told me to blow it out my a$$, ordered some Avon cobra chromes last week for just shy of 500….there goes the sweet no payment first three months offered. I love my BMW bikes, when they are right. When wrong with addition of shoulder shrugs etc, FML crack another cold one. IMHO, BMW Motorrad and more dealers than we know are dirrrrrrrrty. Wild Wild West going on in the shop

Thank you for the update ... that really makes me think of going to a different brand tire ... seems that multiple people had a variety of issues with this brand/type of tire ... :unsure:

Listen, I’m laying real low and have been for a few weeks regarding this topic of C3 tires. While I’d rather be involved with anything, anything else at all, anything! Lol, for now I will just say, get your popcorn ready. In confidence, things don’t get much bigger stay tuned

Makes me crack another beer reading the dealers shoulder shrugs followed by mizzy matching your tires. My B’s build date is 9/22, bought it a month ago, the commander 3’s on it are 34 months old….hmmmm. Where the f were these tires for two years? So ya, dealer politely told me to blow it out my a$$, ordered some Avon cobra chromes last week for just shy of 500….there goes the sweet no payment first three months offered. I love my BMW bikes, when they are right. When wrong with addition of shoulder shrugs etc, FML crack another cold one. IMHO, BMW Motorrad and more dealers than we know are dirrrrrrrrty. Wild Wild West going on in the shop
I'm guessing Covid had much to do with tires sitting around regardless Brand. The sizes aren't unique to the R18 and not so many months ago bikes were held at the port until Bridgestone tires were replaced prior to shipping them to dealers so a problem tire can be out there regardless supplier. While my original and replacement Michelin Commander IIIs were 100%, a few others here have had problems, but with so few numbers to assess I'm just guessing if in storage a damaging environmental condition was present and/or a problem during the manufacturing process occurred?

Anyway, Good luck and please report on the Avons. I liked their Spirit ST on my S1000XR and Trailriders on my KTM 790 Adventure and would consider the Cobras for my next set on my R18 so I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on them.

🍻

Listen, I’m laying real low and have been for a few weeks regarding this topic of C3 tires. While I’d rather be involved with anything, anything else at all, anything! Lol, for now I will just say, get your popcorn ready. In confidence, things don’t get much bigger stay tuned
LOL .. I actually have to say, mine are fine ... I am having no problems and they seem to last OK considering it it in the 100's ( @40 ºC) here for weeks and the hot tarmac usually burns the rubber right of your rims 🥵 but it does seem that an unusually large amount of people do experience issues ... and that makes me consider alternatives ... my rear still has plenty of 'meat' on it but my front will most likely be done once i hit the 10 000 miles tune-up ... I am at 8500 at the moment ;)

Good to hear you had it all sorted out , its not fun all those problems with a new motorcycle unfortunately it sounds from other forums as well that it depends on the close cooperation of your dealer to get it sorted .

No brand is perfect ; problems with all . Some people love/hate. Not doubting problems with some Michelin Clll’s. Do l continue with a brand with potential vibration problems ( M Clll - not in all cases) , or a tyre brand that may blow apart ( Metzeler Cruisetec - rare occurrence but happened in this instance) ?

Attachments

• IMG_2395.jpeg
    IMG_2395.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
No brand is perfect ; problems with all . Some people love/hate. Not doubting problems with some Michelin Clll’s. Do l continue with a brand with potential vibration problems ( M Clll - not in all cases) , or a tyre brand that may blow apart ( Metzeler Cruisetec - rare occurrence but happened in this instance) ?
Holy $hit!!! (the pic)

Back