R18 Classic…

motoring

BMW finance papers should arrive in the mail today for the base R18. Have to say though it seems BMW nailed the look with the Classic. Maybe I will just add a cheap eBay S screen and try not to notice any R18 Classics if I see them on the road. Course, the R18 Forum family is happy to tell me the base R18 looks better…or better yet is a better buy else better ride (it is ok you can lie if needed to make me feel better).
Happy Wednesday all

For me I like the looks of the classic - I wanted the bags, the screen, the extra lights.

Kindof reminds me of a 1970s california highway patrol bike from CHiPs (remember that show?).

With the classic, you can always pull the bits off & turn it back into a 'pure' base model for when you want that look - but very expensive to do it the other way round.

Just my 2c.

Darn, two for two...I will redo the numbers though it was like a $2,800 difference if I recall correctly. If I upgrade to the Classic it is only $ right. Do the stop lights shake a bit on that light bar bmw designed?

Depends on what you are looking for. Both bikes are fantastic, just different. If all you want is the windshield, then that isn't too expensive. But, if you want the lights. shield, cruise, and for only $2800, then the classic is the bike for you. If I could have purchased a classic for say $14k vs 11k , I would have bought the classic. But, when I was looking, the classic was almost 18k and the pure was 13+. I am very happy with the pure. I like the R18 bikes so much, that I bought a R18TC as well.

For me, I really didn't like the fish tail exhaust, so the regular FE wasn't something that I considered. Relative to the windscreen, the bike is great without it, and my screen is permanently off and stored in a closet. Both looks and from a buffeting perspective, the bike is better for me without it. I really do like the Classic bags though, and those go on and off depending on the mood. That plus the lights and cruise control made the Classic worth it to me, but if I liked the fish tail exhaust, I'd have gone for the standard FE.

The aux lights really do contribute to the look from the cockpit in my opinion....

R18RideView1.jpg

Yes, that view from the seat look at those spot lights is sweet.
Ok, where are the R18FE owners out there wanting to tell me the thinner tire makes it track/turn better/easier then the Classic lol.

Your darn video tommymck, think it was you, made me rethink not getting the Classic...don't know if I should thank you or hate you now :)

@motoring

Buy the classic. You are apparently very unsure of what you actually want. As stated wisely above, it is easier and way cheaper to go backwards than forwards with respect to adding lights screens and bags.

I personally don’t like fat front tire bikes, but that is me not you. Buy the classic, you get the things you want. If you decide you do want the narrow front I have one in perfect condition with perfect rubber (less than 200 miles) off my FE I can sell you.

Thanks for the offer though the deal is now done I figure since my fingers don't want to open a wallet and give out another $3k in order to 'upgrade' to the Classic. They did have a sweet used one that BMW used around the County but it was just sold. I will just settle on tossing on a windscreen on it and add Clearwater lights to the engine guard if that seems like either are needed down the road.

Will just try to avert my eyes when I see one on the road.

@motoring

Buy the classic. You are apparently very unsure of what you actually want. As stated wisely above, it is easier and way cheaper to go backwards than forwards with respect to adding lights screens and bags.

I personally don’t like fat front tire bikes, but that is me not you. Buy the classic, you get the things you want. If you decide you do want the narrow front I have one in perfect condition with perfect rubber (less than 200 miles) off my FE I can sell you.
PM sent

Will throw caution to the wind and try something new(ish). S fairing with normal stock bars. A guy on fb has this setup. I just never got the hang of bmw short bars with an S fairing on an older R boxer. Sadly let that one go even though the prior owner had the engine blue printed (maybe that is what that is called). One I should not have allowed to get away.

Attachments

• 105A5678-3FF3-4F86-9E93-7193EC935D74.jpeg
    105A5678-3FF3-4F86-9E93-7193EC935D74.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
My humble advice: don't buy any accessories at first glance. Now a days you have a big catalogue to choose and a lot of customizations to inspire your self. We (the "first owner") didn't have that chance and were running beside every single (and short stock) piece that was released. Take your time and imagine what kind of bike do you want to have. In my experience, for example, I failed buying the Crosscountry because the lack of information and also I regret have put the auxiliary lights because I don't like how it looks...

My humble advice: don't buy any accessories at first glance. Now a days you have a big catalogue to choose and a lot of customizations to inspire your self. We (the "first owner") didn't have that chance and were running beside every single (and short stock) piece that was released. Take your time and imagine what kind of bike do you want to have. In my experience, for example, I failed buying the Crosscountry because the lack of information and also I regret have put the auxiliary lights because I don't like how it looks...
Ok, lets see that bike with those auxiliary lights :)

So in my mind…well if you look from far far away and eyes are a bit blurry…
I envision my ride and a harley xlcr looking a bit alike :) after adding the cafe S fairing :)
Then again, I do wear glasses, on a good day that is.

Attachments

• 5D1592C0-265A-453C-B918-A35FEA28BD3A.jpeg
    5D1592C0-265A-453C-B918-A35FEA28BD3A.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 1C20E27C-3081-4B34-A5DF-7D5BB954E1A1.jpeg
    1C20E27C-3081-4B34-A5DF-7D5BB954E1A1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Back